What's new

Istanbul airport ad warns travelers of Sweden’s high rape rate

-SINAN-

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Turkey

ataturk-havalimani-na-tecavuz-ulkesi-isvec-yazili-ilanlar-asildi-175329-1.jpg

A news ticker at Istanbul's International Atatürk Airport displayed a message on Friday which reads, "Travel Warning! Do you know that Sweden has the highest rape rate worldwide?"

The headline was taken from a report from the Turkish newspaper Güneş and it comes days after Sweden's Foreign Minister Margot Wallstrom tweeted on Sunday, "Turkish decision to allow sex with children under 15 must be reversed. Children need more protection, not less, against violence, sex abuse."

The allegation regarding child abuse, which have also been raised by a derogatory statement at Vienna International Airport in Austria aswell as the Swedish foreign minister's comments, have revived European anti-Turkish sentiment and led Ankara to make an official complaint.

Ankara is angry about a news statement displayed at Vienna International Airport which falsely claimed that Turkey allows sexual intercourse with children under the age of 15.

The statement was removed following harsh criticism, and Ankara expressed its "disappointment and denunciation."

A written statement from the Foreign Ministry read, "We deplore and strongly condemn that an international airport, located in the center of Europe and used by passengers from different countries, was abused by a discredited newspaper to spread irresponsible, distorted and falsified messages which defame a friendly country and the nation."

The Constitutional Court released a statement regarding the false claim late on Monday.

"The allegations are baseless," said the court in the statement after explaining the legal aspects of the matter. "Sexual intercourse with and abuse of minors under 15 continue to be classified as crimes under Turkish law," the statement added.

The news ticker is courtesy of Kronen Zeitung, an Austrian newspaper that was responsible for a sign urging people not to visit Turkey shortly after the foiled July 15 coup attempt, when the news update at the airport read: "Traveling to Turkey means you are supporting [President Recep Tayyip] Erdoğan."

The statement, a quote from a story in Kronen Zeitung, was removed after the Turkish Embassy in Vienna complained.

Swedish Foreign Minister Margot Wallström also faced criticism over her remarks.

Foreign Minister Çavuşoğlu criticized Wallström's statement, saying that contrary to her claims, Turkey is taking action against child abuse. He added that he will call her to tell her that Turkey is concerned by such statements. Çavuşoğlu added that Turkey accepts criticism, but lies and slander should not be confused as criticism, and that such remarks reflect rising Islamophobia and anti-Turkish sentiment in Europe.

"It is a scandal for a foreign minister to post such a tweet based on false news or speculation."

The issue stems from a recent verdict from Constitutional Court that calls for different classification of prison terms for different age groups in cases of child sexual abuse.

Recently on Saturday, the Turkish Embassy in Vienna took action based on orders from Foreign Minister Çavuşoğlu to remove a live ticker at the Vienna airport displaying a provocative statement falsely claiming that Turkey allows sexual intercourse with children under the age of 15.

In Turkey, the age of consent is set as 18, in line with the Civil Code.

The Turkish Penal Code classifies any kind of sexual activity with minors under 18 who are unable to understand the legal meaning and consequences of such actions as child sexual abuse.

http://www.dailysabah.com/europe/20...-ad-warns-travelers-of-swedens-high-rape-rate

Istanbul Atatürk Airport is the Europe's 3rd busiest airport after London's Heathrow and Paris' Charles De Gaulle....42 Million international passengers annually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually find it quiete hilarious and honestly like where this is headed. I'm begninning to think it's time we show them the middle finger

Gavatlar bizi arap sandi heral. Darbede basarisiz oldular, kudurdular. Butun Suriyelileri bunlara salma zamani geldi gecti bile. Sanki bizim sorumlulugumuz, ne ugrasiyokki, bir birilerini yesin bitirsinler kapilari acalim biz

Last edited:
I actually find it quiete hilarious and honestly like where this is headed. I'm begninning to think it's time we show them the middle finger

Gavatlar bizi arap sandi heral. Darbede basarisiz oldular, kudurdular. Butun Suriyelileri bunlara salma zamani geldi gecti bile. Sanki bizim sorumlulugumuz, ne ugrasiyokki, bir birilerini yesin bitirsinler kapilari acalim biz

And I have started thinking why Pakistan is not learning any lesson from Turkey.

They will learn that we don't take orders from Europe.Ya seve seve, ya ........

Just wait for when they'll show the economic middle finger.Now,a full on economic crash of Turkey will make you smile forever.

A news ticker at Istanbul's International Atatürk Airport displayed a message on Friday which reads, "Travel Warning! Do you know that Sweden has the highest rape rate worldwide?"

The headline was taken from a report from the Turkish newspaper Güneş and it comes days after Sweden's Foreign Minister Margot Wallstrom tweeted on Sunday, "Turkish decision to allow sex with children under 15 must be reversed. Children need more protection, not less, against violence, sex abuse."

The allegation regarding child abuse, which have also been raised by a derogatory statement at Vienna International Airport in Austria aswell as the Swedish foreign minister's comments, have revived European anti-Turkish sentiment and led Ankara to make an official complaint.

Ankara is angry about a news statement displayed at Vienna International Airport which falsely claimed that Turkey allows sexual intercourse with children under the age of 15.

The statement was removed following harsh criticism, and Ankara expressed its "disappointment and denunciation."

A written statement from the Foreign Ministry read, "We deplore and strongly condemn that an international airport, located in the center of Europe and used by passengers from different countries, was abused by a discredited newspaper to spread irresponsible, distorted and falsified messages which defame a friendly country and the nation."

The Constitutional Court released a statement regarding the false claim late on Monday.

"The allegations are baseless," said the court in the statement after explaining the legal aspects of the matter. "Sexual intercourse with and abuse of minors under 15 continue to be classified as crimes under Turkish law," the statement added.

The news ticker is courtesy of Kronen Zeitung, an Austrian newspaper that was responsible for a sign urging people not to visit Turkey shortly after the foiled July 15 coup attempt, when the news update at the airport read: "Traveling to Turkey means you are supporting [President Recep Tayyip] Erdoğan."

The statement, a quote from a story in Kronen Zeitung, was removed after the Turkish Embassy in Vienna complained.

Swedish Foreign Minister Margot Wallström also faced criticism over her remarks.

Foreign Minister Çavuşoğlu criticized Wallström's statement, saying that contrary to her claims, Turkey is taking action against child abuse. He added that he will call her to tell her that Turkey is concerned by such statements. Çavuşoğlu added that Turkey accepts criticism, but lies and slander should not be confused as criticism, and that such remarks reflect rising Islamophobia and anti-Turkish sentiment in Europe.

"It is a scandal for a foreign minister to post such a tweet based on false news or speculation."

The issue stems from a recent verdict from Constitutional Court that calls for different classification of prison terms for different age groups in cases of child sexual abuse.

Recently on Saturday, the Turkish Embassy in Vienna took action based on orders from Foreign Minister Çavuşoğlu to remove a live ticker at the Vienna airport displaying a provocative statement falsely claiming that Turkey allows sexual intercourse with children under the age of 15.

In Turkey, the age of consent is set as 18, in line with the Civil Code.

The Turkish Penal Code classifies any kind of sexual activity with minors under 18 who are unable to understand the legal meaning and consequences of such actions as child sexual abuse.

http://www.dailysabah.com/europe/20...-ad-warns-travelers-of-swedens-high-rape-rate
Another EPIC fail ...

http://www.metro.se/nyheter/har-ar-...valdtaktslandet-sverige/EVHolh!oXkyIodBgtwFQ/

There are several reasons why Sweden is a the top of this list.

The first reason is that Sweden changed their laws 2005, widening the definition of rape
to include what was previously considered "sexual misconduct".
Mr. Julian Assange knows a lot of details about this change...
That in itself doubled the number of "rapes".

The second reason is that the police / social agencies put a lot of effort
in making sure that all occurrence of rape gets reported.
Both internally and to the UN agency collecting the worldwide statistics.
Turkey is mentioned in the article as a country which rarely reports such things to the UN.
Sweden is almost notorious for keeping good statistics.

The third reason is that You can "rape" your wife according to Swedish Law.
While the majority of rapists are unknown to the woman (very few men get raped)
they do occur, and if a man rapes his wife 100 times it is counted as 100 rapes in the statistics.

Sweden has decided to avoid keeping statistics on the nationality of criminals,
but independent studies of convictions shows many foreign countries have overrepresentation,
i.e. How many rapes are committed by Turks in relation of how many Turks live in Sweden.

If Turks avoid Sweden, the number of rapes may go down.... or go up...

Personally I don't know a single woman in Sweden, I know have been raped.

Another thring turks get wrong. Sweden is on top because it counts evry case and reports it.

Thats exactly what i mean. What does turkey try to achieve with this? It only gets the oppossite.

Meanwhile germany prepares a travel warning for all germans. Their foreign office already put turkey on "high alert". If they issue a travel warning this would mean no german is allowed to go there anymore without insurance. All tourists can cancel their holidays and get compensations ect.

Another EPIC fail ...

http://www.metro.se/nyheter/har-ar-...valdtaktslandet-sverige/EVHolh!oXkyIodBgtwFQ/

There are several reasons why Sweden is a the top of this list.

The first reason is that Sweden changed their laws 2005, widening the definition of rape
to include what was previously considered "sexual misconduct".
Mr. Julian Assange knows a lot of details about this change...
That in itself doubled the number of "rapes".

The second reason is that the police / social agencies put a lot of effort
in making sure that all occurrence of rape gets reported.
Both internally and to the UN agency collecting the worldwide statistics.
Turkey is mentioned in the article as a country which rarely reports such things to the UN.
Sweden is almost notorious for keeping good statistics.

The third reason is that You can "rape" your wife according to Swedish Law.
While the majority of rapists are unknown to the woman (very few men get raped)
they do occur, and if a man rapes his wife 100 times it is counted as 100 rapes in the statistics.

Sweden has decided to avoid keeping statistics on the nationality of criminals,
but independent studies of convictions shows many foreign countries have overrepresentation,
i.e. How many rapes are committed by Turks in relation of how many Turks live in Sweden.

If Turks avoid Sweden, the number of rapes may go down.... or go up...

Personally I don't know a single woman in Sweden, I know have been raped.

U mad ! :welcome:

Really ?

Seems like not a fail.

Unlike your FM's statement, the information on the billboard is not false.

Just misleading. That is why it is a fail.
Even the UN organisation behind this list say that the list cannot be used to compare rape rates
between different countries, because different countries does not measure rapes the same way.

Sweden uses a more broad definition of rape and people here are more likely to report than other parts of the world but this is still actually rather funny. I will give this one to Turkey :enjoy:

You should run this at your airports' billboards. :)

No it is reserved for the Gold Medal in Rio 2016 football we will win tonight (God Willing)
Since Turkey does not even have a team participating, You may want to watch it.

Back
Top Bottom