What's new

Is it possible that some sikhs have muslim ancestry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahmir

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Recently I have noticed that many punjabi sikhs use typically persio-arabic vocabulary despite being Sikhs , they even use words like shaheed, dastaar, sahibzada etc. which are typically used only by muslims in punjab. I have never found the useage of these words by punjabi hindus at all.........

In punjab I have always noticed that many people were nominally muslims and were not practicing muslims as recently as 20th centurry particularly the village folks such as jatts or gujjars etc. They could be called kind of "Kachay musalman" (nominaly muslims) so it is quite possible that some of the sikhs (some clans of jatts perhaps) were nominally muslims before getting into sikhism because a lot of jatt clans adopted sikhism, it could be that these people are responsible for that muslim persio-arabic vocabulary used by many sikhs......

Another thing that also strengthens my doubts is that unlike punjabi hindus there are more physical and cultural similarities between punjabi muslims and punjabi sikhs. Punjabi sikhs on average (jatts particularly) look more similar to punjabi muslims than punjabi hindus......

What do you all think , is this possible or am I just making too many conjectures.

Recently I have noticed that many punjabi sikhs use typically persio-arabic vocabulary despite being Sikhs , they even use words like shaheed, dastaar, sahibzada etc. which are typically used only by muslims in punjab. I have never found the useage of these words by punjabi hindus at all.........

In punjab I have always noticed that many people were nominally muslims and were not practicing muslims as recently as 20th centurry particularly the village folks such as jatts or gujjars etc. They could be called kind of "Kachay musalman" (nominaly muslims) so it is quite possible that some of the sikhs (some clans of jatts perhaps) were nominally muslims before getting into sikhism because a lot of jatt clans adopted sikhism, it could be that these people are responsible for that muslim persio-arabic vocabulary used by many sikhs......

Another thing that also strengthens my doubts is that unlike punjabi hindus there are more physical and cultural similarities between punjabi muslims and punjabi sikhs. Punjabi sikhs on average (jatts particularly) look more similar to punjabi muslims than punjabi hindus......

What do you all think , is this possible or am I just making too many conjectures.

well hari singh nalwa had pashtun muslim wife and ranjeet singh ji also had muslim wife.

There is nothing called Muslim & Sikh ancestry.

lol... before independence punjab was a single province ...
with both muslims and sikhs.living together.... it was common culture...
hw do u want to differentiate in it....

Sikhs have that distinct look , they might have jew ancestry aswell

There is nothing called Muslim & Sikh ancestry.

In my area in pakistani punjab I am personally aware of some of the muslim jatt families who claim that their grand grand father converted to Islam from Sikhism in 19th century, there are some families in our surrounding villages who converted to Islam from sikhism as recently as 1947. I was saying that it is possible that some non-practicing nominally muslim families (jatts etc.) might have converted to Sikhism at its rise during 17th century which might be the reason for many muslim-specific terminology used by many punjabi sikhs as compared to punjabi hindus.

lol... before independence punjab was a single province ...
with both muslims and sikhs.living together.... it was common culture...
hw do u want to differentiate in it....

Hindus also lived together with muslims in punjab but they hardly share that muslim specific linguistic terminology and cultural attributes. And in western punjab muslims, sikhs and hindu societies were pretty much segregated any way, these were muslim dominated areas and non-muslims were looked down in western punjab areas just like today.

Oh yes, you are just making too many conjectures!!

Those words that you have mentioned are part of the vocabulary of many Indian languages, that just means that we were interacting with that part of the world for centuries.

And about the physical similarities, well, rather all Muslims have pagan ancestry!! Hope you have your answares. :)

During the Sikh Guru period, Sikhs came from both Hindu and Muslim background. Back then religious boundaries were still vague. Sikhism was a new religion. Many Punjabi Muslims had just converted to Islam, Hindus also did not have the boundaries that later the Arya Samaj had created during the late 19th century. Religious boundaries in Punjab were really solidified during the British era of late 19th century.

During the Sikh Guru period, Sikhs came from both Hindu and Muslim background. Back then religious boundaries were still vague. Sikhism was a new religion. Many Punjabi Muslims had just converted to Islam, Hindus also did not have the boundaries that later the Arya Samaj had created during the late 19th century. Religious boundaries in Punjab were really solidified during the British era of late 19th century.

They must have been nominally muslims (muslims for name sake only) and I will not be surprised if such thing occured most probably they were "Kachay musalman" (hollow muslims). But they are perhaps still the reason why Sikhs follow many muslim customs such as use of turban or head cover for religious puposes, using muslim religious vocabulary such as Dastaar, Sahibzada, Shaheed. They even have concept of "panj piyare" which mirrors the concept of "Panj tann" (five bodies) held by many muslims in reference to prophet Muhammad, Fatima , Ali, Hassan and Imam Hussain , that is prophet's family.

Last edited:
They must have been nominally muslims (muslims for name sake only) and I will not be surprised if such thing occured most probably they were "Kachay musalman" (hollow muslims). But they are perhaps still the reason why Sikhs follow many muslim customs such as use of turban or head cover for religious puposes, using muslim religious vocabulary such as Dastaar, Sahibzada, Shaheed. They even have concept of "panj piyare" which mirrors the concept of "Panj tann" (five bodies) by some muslims referrring to prophet Muhammad, Fatima , Ali, Hassan and Imam Hussain , that is prophet's family.

About he "Kachay Musalman", they were probably just Muslim in name. Just as there were Kachay Musalman so the same was true for the Sikhs and Hindus who were not strict followers. For example in central Punjab, many Sikh and Hindu peasantry, especially the Jats were followers of Sufi Peer Sakhi Sarwar even though they were not Muslim and in terms of their religious beliefs they were probably no different from the Kachay Musalmans.

I am in process of getting my non-muslim ancestors names, hopfully by next week. All thanks to Mirasi biraderi, can anyone explain why mirasis used to keep record?

You are too ignorant about Hindu punjabis to make such statements. I suggest you stick to your side of the border with your half-baked analysis.

Plenty of Hindus were forcefully converted to islam in Mughal times, when sikhs won over the muslim Punjab, many reverted back to their original faith and sikhism as that was culturally closer to their land than islam.

I think you better stay away from this thread with your psudo history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom