What's new

Iranian Zulfiqar missile revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
That last part of the video doesn't make much sense. We KNOW that the guidance section is before the warhead. The animation is probably not from the MOD. I think that even if the warhead separates, it would have to include that guidance section, for obvious reasons. We haven't actually heard any official government/military sources saying the warhead separates, only these journalists (and you know how bad Iranian journalism is).

I'm just saying: don't hold your breath, this might be journalistic bullshit.

@VEVAK I disagree. Look at this still image of the Khalije Fars, which is derived from the Fateh-110, you can clearly see the entire missile.

fateh110eo_31.jpg

And look at these images of the Fateh-110 guidance sections:

article-2319645-19A1B8F0000005DC-775_634x286.jpg

Consider that the Fateh would need a large guidance unit for to get such excellent accuracy. Now consider that this is a tactical missile, meant to be cheap to produce. Seems to me that an extra guidance section would take up too much room, where results can be gained simply by reducing the size of the warhead slightly, using lighter materials (carbon fibre) and better propellant.

But add to that the fact they are firing in bundles, have cluster/bomb-let warheads and certainly use evasive manoeuvring, I doubt any missile defence in these nations would stand a chance even without a saturation attack from Iran.
Ballistic missiles, by definition, do not (cannot) do evasive manoeuvres. A ballistic missile is guided during relatively brief periods of flight only. Multiple Reentry Vehicle (MRV) simply means more than a single warhead. A multiple reentry vehicle payload for a ballistic missile deploys multiple warheads in a pattern against a single target. Multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle (MIRV) means containing several warheads, each capable of being aimed to hit one of a group of targets (i.e. different targets). The maneuverable reentry vehicle (abbreviated MARV or MaRV) is a type of ballistic missile whose warhead is capable of shifting targets in flight. It often requires some terminal active homing guidance to make sure the missile does not miss the target, because of the frequent trajectory shifts. It doesn't mean 'capable of evasive manoeuvring': although one could use it to evade interception, this would mean going to a different target alltogether (rather than e.g. dodging and weaving towards a given target).

Advanced Maneuverable Reentry Vehicle (AMaRV) was a prototype MARV built by McDonnell-Douglas Corp..in early 1980. AMaRV was guided by a fully autonomous navigation system designed for evading anti-ballistic missile (ABM) interception.

That last part of the video doesn't make much sense. We KNOW that the guidance section is before the warhead. The animation is probably not from the MOD. I think that even if the warhead separates, it would have to include that guidance section, for obvious reasons. We haven't actually heard any official government/military sources saying the warhead separates, only these journalists (and you know how bad Iranian journalism is).

I'm just saying: don't hold your breath, this might be journalistic bullshit.

@VEVAK I disagree. Look at this still image of the Khalije Fars, which is derived from the Fateh-110, you can clearly see the entire missile.

fateh110eo_31.jpg

And look at these images of the Fateh-110 guidance sections:

article-2319645-19A1B8F0000005DC-775_634x286.jpg

Consider that the Fateh would need a large guidance unit for to get such excellent accuracy. Now consider that this is a tactical missile, meant to be cheap to produce. Seems to me that an extra guidance section would take up too much room, where results can be gained simply by reducing the size of the warhead slightly, using lighter materials (carbon fibre) and better propellant.

The New

upload_2016-9-26_18-37-17.png

View attachment 337986

VS

The Old

upload_2016-9-26_18-38-1.png

It's a 1.5 stage missile and it will be more accurate then the old mainly because to doesn't need to drag that body behind it!

and a small engine is plenty due to the lower gravity... also detection will be extremely difficult I don't think they'll even have a 10% interception rate with current tech

Every target from Iran to Riyadh can be taken out with deadly accuracy

Iran just needs to be producing these in the 1000's

If you look at every major military Air Base from google earth you will understand that you'll need 50-100 to totally wipe them out 20-50 to put them out of operation either way every bunker carrying SAM will have to be taken out and you'll need 3-10 on each runway or potential runway depending on size

If Iran takes out every Saudi Airbase, SAM & radar station within 650km of Iran the Saudi Air forces capability to do any major damage inside Iranian territory will go down to zilch

View attachment 338006

upload_2016-9-26_18-39-8.png

This is the real zolfaghar

dfdfzzz.JPG

hjhjhjhjh.JPG

I still see no proof of a rocket motor. All I see are red protective coverings.

Some of the pictures Iran has shown

Iran so far hasn't showed the Zolfaghar launch only impact

You don't need that much power it's a small booster

upload_2016-9-26_19-3-11.png

this is from a minuteman missile

the red cover you see on the side is to fill the tank with liquid fuel & oxygen

The red cover you see at the end of the booster is to protect the rocket from compressed air upon separation

upload_2016-9-26_19-10-50.png

Last edited:

When the U.S. conducted their anti Ballistic missile operation they were only able to intercept when a large body was flouting in the upper atmosphere towards the target basically they showed their ability to intercept 1st generation Shahab & Fatteh missiles Iran responded by 1st making it's warheads separate which is good and reduces RCS but still it was a fixed ballistic trajectory towards the target that could be calculated so reducing the RCS wasn't enough due to modern advances so now Iran is adding booster and the ability to change trajectory which practically reduces their interception to under 10%

Next step is to follow what china is doing

Thats true,but its very obvious that the guidance section has had a major redesign with the fins being moved to the rear and the front of the section tapered and they wouldnt have done this without a very good reason.A separate guided warhead makes very good sense,not only can it glide further it can also perform better evasive maneuvers and its a much smaller target to detect and to try and intercept.One wonders if we`ll see this upgrade done on the antiship variant the khalij fars
CtPVkXwVYAAy4U0.jpg

The separation warhead is another improvement of the Fateh series as the internal volume has increased, the guidance section is now packed in front of the control surfaces. Now the fins are positioned at the aft, which is a good configuration for the maneuverable re-entry vehicle. The RV can now glide for a longer range as aerodynamic drag is reduced as well as lower radar signature. As no retro boosters are installed, the separation should take place late probably with a simpler spring system. It lacks a gas driven nozzle steering system as on the Iskander which reduces its effectiveness against exo-atmospheric interceptors such as the THAAD but remains effective against endo-atmospheric systems like the PAC-3.

Guidance system is accurate gimballed INS most likely coupled to GPS/GLONASS and as they stress navigational redundancy a stellar navigation system would also be a additional candidate.

Expect something like the Zolfaghar-313 with use of composite materials as the Fateh-313, likely enabling a range of 1000km. Together with the twin launcher of the Fateh and the comparative mild and dry climate of Iran which doesn't make a canister launched system necessary, the system is a very efficient system for the use against high value targets.

The separation warhead is another improvement of the Fateh series as the internal volume has increased, the guidance section is now packed in front of the control surfaces. Now the fins are positioned at the aft, which is a good configuration for the maneuverable re-entry vehicle. The RV can now glide for a longer range as aerodynamic drag is reduced as well as lower radar signature. As no retro boosters are installed, the separation should take place late probably with a simpler spring system. It lacks a gas driven nozzle steering system as on the Iskander which reduces its effectiveness against exo-atmospheric interceptors such as the THAAD but remains effective against endo-atmospheric systems like the PAC-3.

Guidance system is accurate gimballed INS most likely coupled to GPS/GLONASS and as they stress navigational redundancy a stellar navigation system would also be a additional candidate.

Expect something like the Zolfaghar-313 with use of composite materials as the Fateh-313, likely enabling a range of 1000km. Together with the twin launcher of the Fateh and the comparative mild and dry climate of Iran which doesn't make a canister launched system necessary, the system is a very efficient system for the use against high value targets.

1st if you pay attention to the top section of the PBV (Post boost vehicle) you can see too much red tape in some sections... I believe it's doubtful that Iran wouldn't put additional engines both for stabilization and maneuverability.
upload_2016-9-28_12-8-42.png

I believe they are there because it will be very easy to do we just can't see them....

2ndly I believe the real version of the tip in front of the warhead clearly hasn't been shown.
Clearly this gives us the freedom to change targeting equipment and warhead action really quickly for example to go from a time delayed fuse to an Airburst or to go from laser to optical...
Quick interchangeability will is an extremely important advantage of this missile

also in the future a version with 4 tiny engines for hard maneuvering during reentry could be added to defeat trajectory calculation

3rd additional section could easily be added in between the warhead & the PBV rocket & guidance section that could greatly increase capability or add additional guidance booster & stabilizers if they don't already have them....

A Minuteman LGB-30B ICB is basically a 2 engine Sejil-2 missile with a PBV

This shows me Iran can build ICBM's at will if it chose too and they have clearly chosen not too

upload_2016-9-28_12-30-55.png

Solid is the way forward for Iran we have all the oil we need and the fuel is as easy as making rubber!

Simplicity, low maintenance, a much lower man power requirements, speed, long shelf life, easier production, smaller and simpler facilities required for storage and launch and so much more!

All this makes the Ghadir, Ghiam & Shahab missiles obsolete!!! I think the only reason we are still producing the Qadir and Qiam is because we have been producing them in such high numbers it's hard to stop I think Iran needs to start investing into converting these facilities to mass producing solid fuel....

Iran also needs something in between the zolfagar & the sejil class and it needs to be a 1.5 stage rocket fueled missiles with at least a max range of 1200km or more and with a PBV you can easily cover any target from 600 km to it's max range I think what's important is it's ability to send it's PBV up with a single booster and still reach +1200km

You can also build a version without a warhead that stay's at a high enough altitude that you can communicate with over the target to help target and assess damages an intelligence type satellite that stays over a target for 30 min or so and if your using rocket fueled missiles that's plenty of time

Weapons
Iran claims Zolfaghar missile has 700 km range
Jeremy Binnie, London - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
28 September 2016

1685983_-_main.jpg

The Iranian Ministry of Defence (MoD) released this photograph of a missile labelled as a Zolfaghar being launched, but this missile is different from the Zolfaghars displayed during the 25 September ceremony. The MoD also released video footage showing what was said to be a Zolfaghar being launched and hitting a target, but it could not be determined whether the missile was the same as the ones seen in the ceremony. Source: Iranian Ministry of Defence and Armed Forces Logistics
p1685981.jpg
A Zolfaghar is seen on a launcher during the 25 September ceremony. (Iranian Ministry of Defence and Armed Forces Logistics)

Iranian defence minister Hossein Dehghan claimed that the new Zolfaghar (Zulfiqar) ballistic missile has a range of 700 km during a 25 September ceremony that inaugurated the weapon's production line.

Unveiled for the first time during a military parade four days earlier, the Zolfaghar is a new version of the Fateh-110 family of solid-fuel tactical ballistic missiles that reportedly uses a submunitions warhead.

The missile that was labelled as a Zolfaghar in the parade appeared to be different from the ones that were displayed during the 25 September ceremony.

The Ministry of Defence also released video footage purportedly showing a Zolfaghar being launched and hitting a small target. The projectile appeared to approach the target at a low trajectory for a ballistic missile and destroy it using a small unitary warhead.

Dehghan told parliament on the same day that production of Sejil, Ghadir, and Khorramshahr missiles would begin before the end of the Persian year in March 2017.

The Sejil is a solid-fuel medium-range ballistic missile that the Iranians said would go into production after the second test was announced in 2009, although the type has rarely been seen since then. Iran announced in March 2015 that the Ghadir long-range anti-ship missile had entered mass production. Iranian officials do not appear to have previously referred to the Khorramshahr missile.

http://www.janes.com/article/64149/iran-claims-zolfaghar-missile-has-700-km-range

@VEVAK

A PBV/a RV with an booster would make this conventional tactical missile more expensive. Its only real benefit would be exo-atmospheric manouvering to evade systems like THAAD or bring down their range and PK. The Iskander which is in a similar role has a elegant solution to pack this capability into the already existing first stage TVC system via cold gas or hydrazine steering nozzles. This solution brings down the cost. The Zolfaghar has no such already existing subsystem as it has no TVC, which is again economical compared to the Iskander. The Fateh/Zolfaghar launcher just has to position it quite accurately because in the first phase these missiles act like unguided heavy rockets.

So the Zolfghar and Fateh are elegant cost-effective designs. Adding a gas nozzle steering system to the PBV would only bring a benefit against exo-atmospheric interceptors for a much higher cost. Which countries field systems like THAAD in useful numbers? That red cap at the end of the RV should be related to the spring system which unlike the retro rocket system on the Sedjil is again a cost effective solution.

For range the initial impulse of the first stage main engine is enough for a 700km missile, a low power "sustainer" at the PBV is not of much benefit.

I agree with you that a variant with optical/passive radar of the Zolfaghar are also likely, this adds additional guidance redundancy.

@VEVAK

A PBV/a RV with an booster would make this conventional tactical missile more expensive. Its only real benefit would be exo-atmospheric manouvering to evade systems like THAAD or bring down their range and PK. The Iskander which is in a similar role has a elegant solution to pack this capability into the already existing first stage TVC system via cold gas or hydrazine steering nozzles. This solution brings down the cost. The Zolfaghar has no such already existing subsystem as it has no TVC, which is again economical compared to the Iskander. The Fateh/Zolfaghar launcher just has to position it quite accurately because in the first phase these missiles act like unguided heavy rockets.

So the Zolfghar and Fateh are elegant cost-effective designs. Adding a gas nozzle steering system to the PBV would only bring a benefit against exo-atmospheric interceptors for a much higher cost. Which countries field systems like THAAD in useful numbers? That red cap at the end of the RV should be related to the spring system which unlike the retro rocket system on the Sedjil is again a cost effective solution.

For range the initial impulse of the first stage main engine is enough for a 700km missile, a low power "sustainer" at the PBV is not of much benefit.

I agree with you that a variant with optical/passive radar of the Zolfaghar are also likely, this adds additional guidance redundancy.

You don't know what your talking about!!!

Even the 3rd and 4th gen of the fatteh used compressed air for separation they just didn't have a PBV but this does it's crude and cheap one but it does have it & the cap is for transport

At most the rocket causes the separation and the there are vents on the side of the 1st stage booster much like the minuteman system

3rd gen fatteh used compressed air

upload_2016-9-28_17-43-8.png

upload_2016-9-28_17-48-17.png

That's red dot on the rocket is either air inlet & air pressure (Most likely)

Or separation is caused by the rocket but you would need 4 or more vents so I'm guessing air pressure

It is most definitely not a spring configuration!!!

and the PVB is not as crude as you think and Iran is not the U.S. we are not buying our missiles from Boeing!! $500k-700K at the most

the raw material for every part comes out practically free it's just labor

Weapons
Iran claims Zolfaghar missile has 700 km range
Jeremy Binnie, London - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
28 September 2016

1685983_-_main.jpg

The Iranian Ministry of Defence (MoD) released this photograph of a missile labelled as a Zolfaghar being launched, but this missile is different from the Zolfaghars displayed during the 25 September ceremony. The MoD also released video footage showing what was said to be a Zolfaghar being launched and hitting a target, but it could not be determined whether the missile was the same as the ones seen in the ceremony. Source: Iranian Ministry of Defence and Armed Forces Logistics
p1685981.jpg
A Zolfaghar is seen on a launcher during the 25 September ceremony. (Iranian Ministry of Defence and Armed Forces Logistics)

Iranian defence minister Hossein Dehghan claimed that the new Zolfaghar (Zulfiqar) ballistic missile has a range of 700 km during a 25 September ceremony that inaugurated the weapon's production line.

Unveiled for the first time during a military parade four days earlier, the Zolfaghar is a new version of the Fateh-110 family of solid-fuel tactical ballistic missiles that reportedly uses a submunitions warhead.

The missile that was labelled as a Zolfaghar in the parade appeared to be different from the ones that were displayed during the 25 September ceremony.

The Ministry of Defence also released video footage purportedly showing a Zolfaghar being launched and hitting a small target. The projectile appeared to approach the target at a low trajectory for a ballistic missile and destroy it using a small unitary warhead.

Dehghan told parliament on the same day that production of Sejil, Ghadir, and Khorramshahr missiles would begin before the end of the Persian year in March 2017.

The Sejil is a solid-fuel medium-range ballistic missile that the Iranians said would go into production after the second test was announced in 2009, although the type has rarely been seen since then. Iran announced in March 2015 that the Ghadir long-range anti-ship missile had entered mass production. Iranian officials do not appear to have previously referred to the Khorramshahr missile.

http://www.janes.com/article/64149/iran-claims-zolfaghar-missile-has-700-km-range

I've already answered all this nonsense! 1st off

Iran hasn't showed a single Zolfaghar launch and they may have a good reason for that

Clearly the missile is way past test phase It's being produced and the 1st batch has already been delivered!

Building a PBV is not extremely expensive and in terms of tech the U.S. was doing it in the 60's so....

as far as reentry and the angle well clearly it's not a ballistic trajectory because the PBV has those big thick fins that allow for increased angle if necessary

upload_2016-9-28_18-22-24.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom