What's new

Iranian military engine development news and updates

Raghfarm007 probably spotted the Turbofan that could be installed on the IRJ-72,
Here in a collage I tried to identify some common characteristics of this engine with the one that can be seen in the paintings behind one of the IRJ-72 models.
Same pointed cone of the fan (what should be the Iranian version of the CFM-56 is of a different shape)
Similar some external accessories
But importantly, the overall engine size would appear to be optimal for the IRJ-72.
View attachment 928753
Pertaining to the above mystery turbofan, bottom right, see also the cropped and enlarged image below:-

1690479449650.png

Image cropped.

1690479535430.png

PowerJet SaM146

Came onto the above purely by chance.

A Jul 16, 2023 report noted that Tehran will cooperate with Moscow on Sukhoi's Superjet 100 passenger aircraft. As per Kazem Jalali - Iranian ambassador to Russia. This was posted to Twitter I think.

To whit: Is there any prospect of the 'mystery turbofan' and PowerJet's SaM146 engine being one and the same?

P

Pertaining to the above mystery turbofan, bottom right, see also the cropped and enlarged image below:-

View attachment 941750
Image cropped.

View attachment 941753
PowerJet SaM146

Came onto the above purely by chance.

A Jul 16, 2023 report noted that Tehran will cooperate with Moscow on Sukhoi's Superjet 100 passenger aircraft. As per Kazem Jalali - Iranian ambassador to Russia. This was posted to Twitter I think.

To whit: Is there any prospect of the 'mystery turbofan' and PowerJet's SaM146 engine being one and the same?
this should be an article where they indicate collaboration.
https://en.isna.ir/news/1402042415453/Tehran-Moscow-working-on-issue-of-Russian-made-SSJ100-aircraft
Returning to the turbofan in the photographs, the SaM146 was a joint Franco-Russian creation, the Russians did the cold part, the French the hot part, the latter causing numerous problems to the engine.
As the West decided to sanction even critical components destined for these engines, the Russians set about building a turbofan engine completely with domestic components for use in a new version of the SSJ-100 and BE-200 amphibious aircraft. this turbofan is the PD-8. The engine is a hybrid made using the "cold" part of the SaM146, already produced in Russia, and the hot part derived from the PD-14.
Therefore, this cooperation between Iran and Russia on the SSJ-100 can be both at the level of aircraft components previously made in Western countries, as well as cooperate to make the PD-8 which a version could also be made for the IRJ-72

Would it be possible to build a low (for fighters) or a high-bypass (for IRJ-72 for instance) turbofan engine using TV-3 as a point of departure.

Thanks

Piet
No,I`m afraid not.
If iran decided to go for a locally built fighter,then it would make far more sense to go with a locally reverse/reengineered rd33,or perhaps the d30,to power it.

No,I`m afraid not.
If iran decided to go for a locally built fighter,then it would make far more sense to go with a locally reverse/reengineered rd33,or perhaps the d30,to power it.

Agree

Thank you.

P

“Owj motor without an afterburner revealed today at the MOD”.

Step by step Iran is progressing, this engine without afterbourner is a step to get stealth warplanes, less noisy, lower operating costs, more reliability and fuel efficiency.

Iran has all to make powerfull drones, Iran insisting with mq-9 drones style in the line of mohager, i don t think they are a leap, mohager drones line must be distorted and bet all for all for stealth line, like simorgh.

Please. next drones when flying must get rid of landing gear, it s foolish to see the landing gear on, it s not only adavancemente, product must look badass, always.

With this post, the question of an engine for the Qaher 313 as a drone has been clarified for me. So, the single engine has approximately 16kn thrust without afterburner and 22kn with afterburner. If the Qaher 313 is equipped with 2 engines, then it will potentially have 32kn thrust without afterburner and 44kn thrust with afterburner. I believe engines were a significant issue for Iran for a long time, but we've finally become self-reliant. For comparison, the Turkish Bayraktar Kızılelma, in its advanced version with a Ukrainian engine, will only have 24.5kn and 44kn with afterburner. Moreover, the Ukrainian production plants of the company have been severely damaged as they are located in the war zone. I think Turkey has a limited number of these engines available and is facing supply issues. They'll either need to find new partners, or the project will face delays, while we can continue developing our competing product. Or they buy from Iran.

32kn thrust would be excellent for the Qaher 313 in a two-engine configuration. The design of the Qaher 313 is heavily focused on maneuverability. All in all, I expect an extremely maneuverable drone aircraft wich can conduct all possible and complex combat maneuvers. It remains to be seen whether the drone will use fly-by-wire technology, and if it will incorporate vector-controlled nozzles. Current reports suggest this is unlikely, especially regarding thrust vectoring. I've read that fly-by-wire technology will not be used in the Qaher, but we'll have to wait and see; there have been many surprises in the past. It should also be noted that both these technologies are quite expensive, and for a drone of this kind which would represent the first of its kind globally, it might be too soon.

But piecing together all the pictures, the construction of the Iranian drone carrier at Bandar Abbas makes perfect sense. I think, for now, the Qaher 313 drones will be the primary armament of this carrier, along with other drones like the Simorgh drone possibly for reconnaissance and bomber missions among others. It will be interesting to see which Iranian drones will be used in a naval version.

Engines have always been the critical missing piece in this regard. Considering how far Iran has come and the technologies it has mastered, it's evident that Iran will be building advanced engines in no time, and this is just the beginning.

1. Advanced Material Sciences.
2. Propulsion technologies in various sectors already in production: Ramjet, Hypersonic missiles, space rockets, helicopter engines, power plant turbines, etc.
3. Production: Single-crystal engines (matured first in the 1980s: very advanced designs are possible with this), vacuum welding and vacuum casting, CNC technologies for engine blades.
4. Iran already has experience in engine production and is familiar with all the cycles, which is extremely crucial. The Owj engine was a significant milestone, even if some saw it as "just" a J85 copy from the 50s. But it's the best way to fundamentally understand the technology in all areas.

All in all, looking back, Iran has established a complete infrastructure to solidly cover all areas of engine development and production."

Back
Top Bottom