What's new

Iranian military engine development news and updates

As already written, when the Mr. President or other important authority will be invited to the presentation of the new turbofan engine for commercial aircraft completely built in Iran, there will be no reference to the reverse eninereng of the existing engines, nor the alphanumeric code itself. PS But then are we sure it will be an Iranian version of the CFM-56?

I ask this question because if the first commercial aircraft to be built with jet engines is the 72-seat one, a possible copy of the CFM-56 would seem too big, heavy and powerful.
As an example I have compared the characteristics of the CFM-56 and D-436 which is installed on AN-148, an aircraft which appears to be close in size to the new Iranian aircraft.
This would lead one to think that any first turbofan made in Iran is an engine suitable for that aircraft, therefore something that would make it differ from the CFM-56.
If there won't be an Iranian-made turbofan engine the only alternative for an unsanctioned foreign-made turbofan, today it's only the new Russian PD-8

Wasnt there a 100+ seater planned years ago? Maybe two of the engines for that plane?

You may ask then why guys like China do not do this and simple answer is ..Copyrights infringement ..IP issues..massive problem for China not an issue for Iran..

Is this a joke? China is the biggest violator of IP stealing on the planet. I can assure you that China is not afraid of any blow black from that. It’s one of the reasons of the Trump China-Us trade war was that China didn’t crack down on IP stealing or reign it in.

Wasnt there a 100+ seater planned years ago? Maybe two of the engines for that plane?

initially there was talk of a 100-seat commercial aircraft, then in October 2022, the head of the Iranian civil aviation organization, Mohammad Mohammadi Bakhsh, said that the project will now involve the production of 72- and 150-seat passenger aircraft.
https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2022/10/10/690731/Iran-home-made-passenger-plane-launch-timetable
The 72-seat aircraft will be the first to enter production, as it will derive from the work already carried out on the IrAn-140 and "Simorgh", with the modifications as per the attached diagram + turbofan engine, aircraft currently called IRJ-72.
Fk-YJ-n5-XEAATu-AU-1.webp

4407329.jpg

Therefore at least for this IRJ-72, a 100% clone of the CFM-56 would seem oversized.
While a turbofan equivalent to the CFM-56 would be ideal for the future 150-seat aircraft, but if the priority request is to build the IRJ-72 first, it is necessary to purchase abroad or produce in Iran a turbofan adequate to the characteristics of this aircraft.

Last edited:
What is iranian version of javelin?

initially there was talk of a 100-seat commercial aircraft, then in October 2022, the head of the Iranian civil aviation organization, Mohammad Mohammadi Bakhsh, said that the project will now involve the production of 72- and 150-seat passenger aircraft.
https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2022/10/10/690731/Iran-home-made-passenger-plane-launch-timetable
The 72-seat aircraft will be the first to enter production, as it will derive from the work already carried out on the IrAn-140 and "Simorgh", with the modifications as per the attached diagram + turbofan engine, aircraft currently called IRJ-72.
Fk-YJ-n5-XEAATu-AU-1.webp

4407329.jpg

Therefore at least for this IRJ-72, a 100% clone of the CFM-56 would seem oversized.
While a turbofan equivalent to the CFM-56 would be ideal for the future 150-seat aircraft, but if the priority request is to build the IRJ-72 first, it is necessary to purchase abroad or produce in Iran a turbofan adequate to the characteristics of this aircraft.

In the below picture of MAPNA´s exhibition, one can clearly see a larger and a smaller jet engines on display..... I presume the smaller jet engine is meant for the regional airliner and the larger is CFM56 copy.

170341372.jpg

In the below picture of MAPNA´s exhibition, one can clearly see a larger and a smaller jet engines on display..... I presume the smaller jet engine is meant for the regional airliner and the larger is CFM56 copy.

170341372.jpg
Raghfarm007 probably spotted the Turbofan that could be installed on the IRJ-72,
Here in a collage I tried to identify some common characteristics of this engine with the one that can be seen in the paintings behind one of the IRJ-72 models.
Same pointed cone of the fan (what should be the Iranian version of the CFM-56 is of a different shape)
Similar some external accessories
But importantly, the overall engine size would appear to be optimal for the IRJ-72.
IRJ-engine.jpg

Raghfarm007 probably spotted the Turbofan that could be installed on the IRJ-72,
Here in a collage I tried to identify some common characteristics of this engine with the one that can be seen in the paintings behind one of the IRJ-72 models.
Same pointed cone of the fan (what should be the Iranian version of the CFM-56 is of a different shape)
Similar some external accessories
But importantly, the overall engine size would appear to be optimal for the IRJ-72.
View attachment 928753
weren't those the engines that were maintained, not new engines

weren't those the engines that were maintained, not new engines
However it looks the same as the one in the picture behind the model of the IRJ-72 and as I wrote it would fit well in size to the configuration of the aircraft.
If it's not that and a similar one isn't made in Iran, it will need to be bought in the market, and commercial turbofan makers are pretty much all aligned to comply with US sanctions.
The only alternative for a supply of a turbofan of that category from abroad will be Russia with a version of the "Saturn PD-8" which will be installed on the Russian 100-seat SSJ-100 NEWS commercial aircraft and on the BE-200 seaplane

Here in the photo during the tests hanging from the internal pylon of an IL-76.
il-76ll-pd-8-0.jpg

The only alternative for a supply of a turbofan of that category from abroad will be Russia with a version of the "Saturn PD-8" which will be installed on the Russian 100-seat SSJ-100 NEWS commercial aircraft and on the BE-200 seaplane.

Much more realistic to buy 100 PD-8 engines, can build 50 passenger planes with that.

Now you are thinking of realistic solutions.

If it's not that and a similar one isn't made in Iran, it will need to be bought in the market, and commercial turbofan makers are pretty much all aligned to comply with US sanctions.
The only alternative for a supply of a turbofan of that category from abroad will be Russia with a version of the "Saturn PD-8" which will be installed on the Russian 100-seat SSJ-100 NEWS commercial aircraft and on the BE-200 seaplane
for passenger plane engine right now the only solution is to buy it from abroad , building a civilian engine is harder than a military one and our plane for a military engine start from 2025 and after that it can be optimized and turned into a civilian one that will take time and certainly fell well behind the timetable for simorgh and Iran passenger plane .
now i don't knew from where Iran can obtain the engine ,Russia is one source with its various engines . but i doubt Russia right now can provide engines unless the production is completely financed by Iran, china is another source . maybe when western government see Iran is on verge of buying engines from Russia or china allow some lower tire older generation engine be sold to Iran on condition that they only be used in civilian jets so the money go to their own companies instead of Russian or Chinese and meantime make some humanitarian jest for gullible who knew
and guess what if such thing happen iran may opt for that option as some senior iranian politician don't knew shit about it and believe all thing are better if they come from west and by the way iranian maintenance crew are more familiar with western engines

for passenger plane engine right now the only solution is to buy it from abroad , building a civilian engine is harder than a military one and our plane for a military engine start from 2025 and after that it can be optimized and turned into a civilian one that will take time and certainly fell well behind the timetable for simorgh and Iran passenger plane .
now i don't knew from where Iran can obtain the engine ,Russia is one source with its various engines . but i doubt Russia right now can provide engines unless the production is completely financed by Iran, china is another source . maybe when western government see Iran is on verge of buying engines from Russia or china allow some lower tire older generation engine be sold to Iran on condition that they only be used in civilian jets so the money go to their own companies instead of Russian or Chinese and meantime make some humanitarian jest for gullible who knew
and guess what if such thing happen iran may opt for that option as some senior iranian politician don't knew shit about it and believe all thing are better if they come from west and by the way iranian maintenance crew are more familiar with western engines
In Russia, RD-14 for MS-21-310' has entered series production, therefore it can be used on all new aircraft of that category.
The PD-8 will go into series production later this year, then they are working on PD-18 and PD-35. Having ascertained that the IRJ-72 is still in the planning stage, they decide for the Russian PD-8 turbofan, at most they have to reserve a pair (+ a spare pair) to be used on the first flying prototype, for which they will spend at least 2- 3 years.
So there is plenty of time for the PD-8, in serial production, to be available for export by number, while allowing Saturn technicians in collaboration with the IRJ-72 designers to create a version configured for the Iranian aircraft .

Now the question is did Russia help in anyway for Iran to do this and will it truly reach serial mass production rather a handful made per year. Iran has needed a helicopter engine for a long time. Just like it needs stronger tank engines.
May be I am wrong but in one of the photos I can see defence minister of Rohanni first term..this development may have started more than a decade ago then..

Back
Top Bottom