What's new

Indonesia rejects international pleas to halt execution of Pakistani drug convict

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Indonesia rejects international pleas to halt execution of Pakistani drug convict
By AFP
Published: July 28, 2016
4SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1151097-ZulfiqarAli-1469694167-962-640x480.jpg

The group, including foreigners from Pakistan and India have been placed in isolation on a prison island. PHOTO: GUARDIAN

CILACAP, INDONESIA: Indonesia Thursday rejected appeals from the UN and EU to halt the execution of 14 drug convicts including foreigners, as speculation mounted they could face the firing squad in a matter of hours.

The group, including foreigners from Nigeria, Pakistan, India and Zimbabwe as well as Indonesians, have been placed in isolation on a prison island where Jakarta carries out executions.

Authorities stepped up preparations with ambulances carrying coffins seen crossing over to Nusakambangan island. Family members say they have been told the convicts will be executed on Thursday night, according to a lawyer and diplomat — who were angry as it was earlier than they thought was allowed.

The attorney general’s office, which oversees executions, could not be contacted for comment.

Indonesia last carried out executions in April 2015 when it put to death eight drug convicts, including two Australians, sparking international outrage.

But President Joko Widodo has defended the use of the death penalty to combat rising narcotics use.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein on Wednesday called on Indonesia to end the “unjust” use of the death penalty, while the European Union urged Jakarta to stop the “cruel and inhumane punishment, which fails to act as a deterrent”.

Indonesian foreign ministry spokesman Arrmanatha Nasir defended the looming executions as “pure law enforcement”.

“I need to emphasise that all the legal processes of the convicts have been completed, all their rights have been fulfilled — we target the drug traffickers and not users,” he said.

Jakarta faced accusations of breaking its own laws by apparently planning to hold the executions on Thursday.

Diplomats and lawyers say they were given the legally required three days notice of the plan on Tuesday afternoon and believed the earliest it could happen was Friday.

“I am very concerned — this cannot happen,” Ricky Gunawan, a lawyer for a Nigerian convict set to face the firing squad, told AFP.

“It is clearly against the law. This execution has been completely under secrecy from the start.”

Syed Zahid Raza, the deputy Pakistani ambassador in Jakarta, said the family of a Pakistani man, Zulfiqar Ali, had been informed he would be executed Thursday night.

Spokesman Nasir said his ministry had fulfilled all their obligations by notifying foreign representatives.

Pakistan has been angered about the planned execution of Ali — whom rights groups claim was beaten into confessing — and summoned Indonesia’s ambassador in Islamabad this week to convey their concerns.

If he has really been convicted and he is guilty then he should be hanged. But I hope the justice has been done and no innocent gets punished.

what else we can do if someone not hear humanitarian requests? Arrest 2 Indonesian charge them to be of Alqaida and Taliban financier and do same with them.. as they do with our national.. they will learn this way..

We should change our anti narcotics laws for those countries who hang or behead people on drug charges.. hang their citizen too if they are involve in drug trafficking in Pakistan..

Well,Good step by Indonesia.

I hope India too takes similar step to ensure zero tolerance on drugs.I've seen that among Indians,taking drugs and booze has become a "fashion".we should also try to curb these "cultures",which is dragging our generation into abyss.

By AFP
Published: July 28, 2016
4SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1151097-ZulfiqarAli-1469694167-962-640x480.jpg

The group, including foreigners from Pakistan and India have been placed in isolation on a prison island. PHOTO: GUARDIAN

CILACAP, INDONESIA: Indonesia Thursday rejected appeals from the UN and EU to halt the execution of 14 drug convicts including foreigners, as speculation mounted they could face the firing squad in a matter of hours.

The group, including foreigners from Nigeria, Pakistan, India and Zimbabwe as well as Indonesians, have been placed in isolation on a prison island where Jakarta carries out executions.

Authorities stepped up preparations with ambulances carrying coffins seen crossing over to Nusakambangan island. Family members say they have been told the convicts will be executed on Thursday night, according to a lawyer and diplomat — who were angry as it was earlier than they thought was allowed.

The attorney general’s office, which oversees executions, could not be contacted for comment.

Indonesia last carried out executions in April 2015 when it put to death eight drug convicts, including two Australians, sparking international outrage.

But President Joko Widodo has defended the use of the death penalty to combat rising narcotics use.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein on Wednesday called on Indonesia to end the “unjust” use of the death penalty, while the European Union urged Jakarta to stop the “cruel and inhumane punishment, which fails to act as a deterrent”.

Indonesian foreign ministry spokesman Arrmanatha Nasir defended the looming executions as “pure law enforcement”.

“I need to emphasise that all the legal processes of the convicts have been completed, all their rights have been fulfilled — we target the drug traffickers and not users,” he said.

Jakarta faced accusations of breaking its own laws by apparently planning to hold the executions on Thursday.

Diplomats and lawyers say they were given the legally required three days notice of the plan on Tuesday afternoon and believed the earliest it could happen was Friday.

“I am very concerned — this cannot happen,” Ricky Gunawan, a lawyer for a Nigerian convict set to face the firing squad, told AFP.

“It is clearly against the law. This execution has been completely under secrecy from the start.”

Syed Zahid Raza, the deputy Pakistani ambassador in Jakarta, said the family of a Pakistani man, Zulfiqar Ali, had been informed he would be executed Thursday night.

Spokesman Nasir said his ministry had fulfilled all their obligations by notifying foreign representatives.

Pakistan has been angered about the planned execution of Ali — whom rights groups claim was beaten into confessing — and summoned Indonesia’s ambassador in Islamabad this week to convey their concerns.
bhai koi indonesian member hai yahan tou tag krdo koi

It was told that pm is involved. Let's see if he can do anything for a change. As per our news channel, the Pakistani involved is being charged for crime he did not commit. The news was first brought by express over which our authorities woke up. As usual they were sleeping. Let's hope justice prevails.

Death penalty for drug crimes is draconian. I don't support it.
Imprisonment and rehabilitation for the drug traffickers and drug users is the right way to deal with the problem in my opinion.

Death penalty for drug crimes is draconian. I don't support it.
Imprisonment and rehabilitation for the drug traffickers and drug users is the right way to deal with the problem in my opinion.

Drug dealers are scum, the ruin not only their lives, but other people's lives as well. Since they are being let off so easy, doing drugs has become more and more common and so has dealing them. You need to be Hitler sometimes to get the job done.

Drug dealers are scum, the ruin not only their lives, but other people's lives as well. Since they are being let off so easy, doing drugs has become more and more common and so has dealing them. You need to be Hitler sometimes to get the job done.

lock them up for long periods of time

His execution has been halted owing to Pakistan government pressure, apparently he has not been afforded an opportunity of a fair trial.
an indian is also on death row... i doubt they will bow to pressure from india

an indian is also on death row... i doubt they will bow to pressure from india

I don't know exact details of that Indian, but if he is the one who blamed this Pakistani guy for dealing in drugs he might have already been executed by midnight Thursday, if Indonesians haven't halted execution of all fourteen involved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom