What's new

Indian serials increasing crime rates in Bangladesh

you shouldn't want to be like the ME countries wrt this issue, or any other issue for that matter.
It's not just the ME, plenty of central asian and African countries have the same policy. In particular the central asian are highly secular, more so than India and Bangladesh and they're quite against lgbt issues.

I doubt LGBT rights are well-accepted in India as well...

How do Indian parents react when they find that their son or daughter is gay or lesbian? Probably the same like in Bangladesh. Excommunication from the family is the most likely result.

In any case - the local media has been running hog-wild lately (because of profit motive) and some basic censorship (WRT Violence and Obscenity especially) is long overdue. They certainly won't self-regulate like in the West.
India accepts it slightly better than us, but it does depend on where you live I suppose. I know that 69% are against it. And with BJP in power I don't suspect anything revolutionary on gay rights. I actually know of a few gay and lesbian Indians. They mostly just keep it a secret.

I doubt LGBT rights are well-accepted in India as well...

How do Indian parents react when they find that their son or daughter is gay or lesbian? Probably the same like in Bangladesh. Excommunication from the family is the most likely result.

In any case - the local media has been running hog-wild lately (because of profit motive) and some basic censorship (WRT Violence and Obscenity especially) is long overdue. They certainly won't self-regulate like in the West.
it is rough for them like any other 3rd world conservative place, but they have wide acceptability in the big cities and the media/entertainment space, I think it's a good thing, nothing good has ever come from being too fundamentalist or overly religious.

India accepts it slightly better than us, but it does depend on where you live I suppose. I know that 69% are against it. And with BJP in power I don't suspect anything revolutionary on gay rights. I actually know of a few gay and lesbian Indians. They mostly just keep it a secret.
still illegal, supreme court overturned the high court ruling on it recently but there is a 3rd gender officially

still illegal, supreme court overturned the high court ruling on it recently but there is a 3rd gender officially
I know that but, is the law itself enforced? We have official 3rd gender recognition as well.

I know that but, is the law itself enforced? We have official 3rd gender recognition as well.
no idea, can't think of anything that's ever made the news anyway.

it's kind of quasi legal, the law is just to keep the religious folk satisfied while society as a whole is generally tolerant and evolving slowly.

no idea, can't think of anything that's ever made the news anyway.

it's kind of quasi legal, the law is just to keep the religious folk satisfied while society as a whole is generally tolerant and evolving slowly.
Well we'll see how it goes. Modi doesn't seem like the kind of guy to back LGBT issues so I don't expect and quick changes during his term.

Most South Asian gays won't dare come out of the closet. It'd be like shooting themselves in the foot socially and economically. Zero acceptance.

it is rough for them like any other 3rd world conservative place, but they have wide acceptability in the big cities and the media/entertainment space, I think it's a good thing, nothing good has ever come from being too fundamentalist or overly religious.

Well fundamentalism or a high degree of religiosity is not good when it impinges on the rights of those not choosing to be so. Or to non co-religionists. However I don't expect Gay rights or Marriage license type things in South Asia anytime soon (at least not in Bangladesh). And whatever urban LGBT acceptance you have is a fringe phenomenon which depends heavily on a minimum of certain education and class. Those without education or class will have a very hard time accepting it. Even relatively secular countries such as Turkey have not accepted it, much less the rest of the Middle East or South Asia.

In any case - we're straying heavily off topic.

Well we'll see how it goes. Modi doesn't seem like the kind of guy to back LGBT issues so I don't expect and quick changes during his term.
sure, politically it's mostly a no go zone/non issue, forget BJP, even the left/commies/congress etc don't really speak about it. There is nothing to gain by raising that issue, India is not exactly Europe or the US, they have way more pressing matters to attend to, but there is discussion on the street level, and in social media etc and people's attitudes are fairly liberal, conservative folk are more into Hindu vs Muslim rather than gay vs straight :P

Correlation does not mean causality.

Another sensationalist headline. Blame the big bogeyman India.

Most South Asian gays won't dare come out of the closet. It'd be like shooting themselves in the foot socially and economically. Zero acceptance.

Well fundamentalism or a high degree of religiosity is not good when it impinges on the rights of those not choosing to be so. However I don't expect Gay rights or Marriage license type things in South Asia anytime soon (at least not in Bangladesh). And whatever urban LGBT acceptance you have is a fringe phenomenon which depends heavily on a minimum of certain education and class. Those without education or class will have a very hard time accepting it. Even relatively secular countries such as Turkey have not accepted it, much less the rest of the Middle East or South Asia.

In any case - we're straying heavily off topic.
Turkey has accepted gays since the times of the Ottoman Empire but, to a limit. Their activities are allowed but, issues such as marriage, adoption,etc are illegal. China has the same thing too and they're population is mostly irreligious. Anyway, I don't think this is something that should be discussed on the Bangladesh forum anyway as it's own thread.

sure, politically it's mostly a no go zone/non issue, forget BJP, even the left/commies/congress etc don't really speak about it. There is nothing to gain by raising that issue, India is not exactly Europe or the US, they have way more pressing matters to attend to, but there is discussion on the street level, and in social media etc and people's attitudes are fairly liberal, conservative folk are more into Hindu vs Muslim rather than gay vs straight :P
Agreed, there are much more important issues at hand. This is an issue to look at later.

Correlation does not mean causality.

Another sensationalist headline. Blame the big bogeyman India.

Well it's actually our fault that we didn't control our media. Those serials did not go through any oversight. I actually don't like to call it censorship - but we should have oversight over our media...whether programming is coming from India or any other country...

lol, true, I haven't even read the OP, I just came to post the lesbian comic thing.

You got a thing for lesbians? :p:

Well it's actually our fault that we didn't control our media. Those serials did not go through any oversight. I actually don't like to call it censorship - but we should have oversight over our media...whether programming is coming from India or any other country...

Agreed. Each country is free to implement its media policies and procedures. Bangladesh should become independent minded and not blame India for every single ill in society when many things are quite under its control in the first place.

This happens in other countries too, where people put blame on the media when something violent happens. It happens all the time in America whenever a school undergoes a shooting.

That article is not complaining about media...but "Indian" media! :D

The matter is in the court. Govt. is not playing any role here..

Back
Top Bottom