What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

What are trying to say? You sound awfully confused.
The IN already has AShMs and has them for a long time, esp if you mean ship-launched versions.

Sorry my bad, my question is why don't we make an indigenous one ? as we have a huge current and future need

Sorry my bad, my question is why don't we make an indigenous one ? as we have a huge current and future need

Oh well; is'nt the Brahmos indigenous?
The IN uses them in two versions, Anti-Ship and Land-Attack.
Ditto for the Urans/Klubs and the Harpoons, which are not indigenous.

Oh well; is'nt the Brahmos indigenous?
The IN uses them in two versions, Anti-Ship and Land-Attack.
Ditto for the Urans/Klubs and the Harpoons, which are not indigenous.
Brahmos is too heavy subs cant fire from tubes,LCA,Jaguars,M29k cant carry let alone helos.

Edit:
I think Brahmos VL from subs are not worth the effort.No current diesel subs are designed for VL.
and russian itself rejected amur can get the P75I contract only with this capability.
We carry too much proud around Brahmos.If we had a harpoon equivalent that may not be a problem :) .

Last edited:
@Capt.Popeye We are gonna upgrade our Type209s with Harpoon missiles and others so can we expect them to serve untill 2025 and beyond? Considering 2 of them were brought in 90s.

Brahmos is too heavy subs cant fire from tubes,LCA,Jaguars,M29k cant carry let alone helos

Is that what you were trying to say all this while?
The Brahmos is not the end of the development cycle. What do you think the Brahmos-M is intended for?
Then will be other further developments.
Then there will be something different and new for the Helos. At shorter ranges, a variant of the Helina may happen. At longer ranges, something new will come up.
But we have different kinds of AShMs for the interim.

@Capt.Popeye We are gonna upgrade our Type209s with Harpoon missiles and others so can we expect them to serve untill 2025 and beyond? Considering 2 of them were brought in 90s.

Exocets are being lined up for them not Harpoons.

Brahmos is too heavy subs cant fire from tubes,LCA,Jaguars,M29k cant carry let alone helos.

Edit:
I think Brahmos VL from subs are not worth the effort.No current diesel subs are designed for VL.
and russian itself rejected amur can get the P75I contract only with this capability.
We carry too much proud around Brahmos.If we had a harpoon equivalent that may not be a problem :) .

You are right that we lack a smaller and more cost-effective indigenous anti ship / land attack missile today. Brahmos currently is only a high end solution and limited to very few applications, let alone that it's hardly usefull to attack smaller vessels. When you look around at the trends in this area, it gets also evident, that smaller boats are threats today as well, which is why smaller missiles like LAHAT, SPIKE, or Brimstone will be added for the naval use too.
A possible solution for the anti ship / land attack missile could be Nirbhay, but not in it's currently developed version, but a Nirbhay M (Mini) if you want, that would be similar to SLAM-ER, or the latest NSM (Naval Strike Missille), not sure if they will go for that though. Nirbhay in it's current form will hardly be an advantage, since it only adds more range, while the weight and size still will be limiting factors. A smaller version however, that could be used even from LCA in higher numbers and anti ship and land attack roles, while being far cheaper than Brahmos would clearly be a useful addition to the air and naval forces.

I think in our missile arsenal we lack anti ship missiles like harpoon,exocet.
all of our subs,medium helos,medium ships, fighters (LCAs and Jaguars can carry two of those). why aren't we going for this ?
I said the same thing few days back that we don't have a indigenous AShM I think our forces are going for Brahmos M to fulfill that role but will LCA be able to carry it? And even then the range of Brahmos is limited.

On a different note,
India’s Project 75 SSKs: Too Late Save Submarine Force?

Didn't see this report before.
When I said it everyone called me an idiot.
Now even Indian (Idiot) Navy is saying that sabotage may be possible:)

I said the same thing few days back that we don't have a indigenous AShM I think our forces are going for Brahmos M to fulfill that role but will LCA be able to carry it? And even then the range of Brahmos is limited.

On a different note,
India’s Project 75 SSKs: Too Late Save Submarine Force?

Didn't see this report before.
When I said it everyone called me an idiot.
Now even Indian (Idiot) Navy is saying that sabotage may be possible:)
Better for the IN to sell all the remaining 14 Submarines and get all the 15 Akulas from Russia with upgrade.

Better for the IN to sell all the remaining 14 Submarines and get all the 15 Akulas from Russia with upgrade.
Thanks but I think that the IN and MOD defense/strategic analysts/advisers are more qualified to decide "what to do".

F2SGwHJ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom