What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

IAC 2 expected at 65 000t which is even bigger than the Russian Admiral Kuznetsov and it carries a dozen Flanker size fighters and they plan with new carriers and naval Pak Fa as well. The only question is, when they will develop them, because I think IN will get the carrier earlier than the Russians, by the lack of funds.
Yeah you are right but IN is only considering medium size fighters for its future ACs. Russians have briefed once to IN. IN is getting bigger and bigger. Lets hope we purchase at least 2 squadrons of NPakFA

But you need several of such vessels and several helicopters to cover the same area, that a single LHD with numbers of helicopters would. That's why the Japanese use LHD/helicopter carriers for the ASW role as well:
MOD sanctioned money for 4 amphibious warships but i am not sure whether its a LHD or LPDs.
I would really like if india goes for warships like Mistral or Juan Carlos I or south korean dokdo class.
2011 might see many projects like p17a, p75i,4 amphibious warships, p28a and even IAC II might get approved.
Hyūga class helicopter destroyer
Its a destoyer ?// or amphibious warship ??/

No actually hal offered dhruv to IN but it was rejected. They even offered to make changes but IN rejected it also because not enough changes where possible.

You didn't understand it, Dhruv was made mainly for IAF, while N-LCA is a complete redesign specially for IN and funded by them. Dhruv was rejected by IN because of less range compared to other/bigger naval helicopters (Sea Hawk, AW 101, NH90).

I don't think navy is going to buy enough just like IAF. I read right they only placed order of 8 fighters and it appears they are looking towards other fighters instead. They placed the order just to keep the production line going.

Six are on order, planed are around 40, N-LCA has nothing to do with the production line, because it will be based on MK2, so will come later anyway.

MOD sanctioned money for 4 amphibious warships but i am not sure whether its a LHD or LPDs...
...Hyūga class helicopter destroyer
Its a destoyer ?// or amphibious warship ??/

They want LPDs and it is a helicopter carrier, but because they are not allowed to have carriers they call if helicopter destroyer. It is basically an LHD, without the dock for amphibious vehicles.

Crossposting from the MP forum:

INS Viraat and CdG in Goa:

5338598581b0a345aa47b.jpg

5342210960d8d4c0238eb.jpg

cdgviraat.jpg

I just noticed about our latest mig deal. Read the article :

India and Russia to ink defence deals worth $4 billion

India and Russia to ink defence deals worth $4 billion - dnaindia.com

Moscow: India and Russia will sign defence deals worth $4 billion for purchase of 29 more carrier based MiG-29Ks as well as ink the final agreement for joint manufacture of fifth generation fighters during prime minister Vladimir Putin's forthcoming visit to India.

The Russian strongman would be in New Delhi on March 11-12 at the invitation of prime minister Manmohan Singh and in the course of this visit all three agreement are likely to be signed, the paper said.

The carrier, which has been rechristened INS Vikramaditya is now scheduled to be delivered by 2013. India would pay another $1.2-billion for the new naval MiG-29K/KUB.

The new MiGs will be in addition to 16 jets already to be delivered under a contract signed in 2004 as part of the Gorshkov deal. The first of these maritime fighters have already been inducted by the Indian Navy.

The Vikramaditya is currently undergoing repairs and refit at the Sevmash shipyard in Russia.

Under the new agreement on Gorshkov refit, additional money would be made available to Sevmash shipyard to step up its upgradation.

The two countries are also close to the signing of the commercial contracts for setting up multi-billion joint venture for the joint development and production of fifth generation fighter aircraft (FGFA) and multi-role transport aircraft (MTA).
India will also acquire 40 more Sukhoi Su-30MKI multi-role fighters.

So, plz correct me if i am wrong. India is paying 4 billion$ for 29 carrier based mig-29ks. That means almost 138 million $ per fighter. For gods sake, why didn't they purchase f35 for IN ??//

So, plz correct me if i am wrong. India is paying 4 billion$ for 29 carrier based mig-29ks. That means almost 138 million $ per fighter. For gods sake, why didn't they purchase f35 for IN ??//

4 Billion is not for the 29 MIG's actually it costs 1.2 billion $
May be its for the entire deal along with the carrier

This must be life time cost and not purchase cost.

4 Billion is not for the 29 MIG's actually it costs 1.2 billion $
May be its for the entire deal along with the carrier
I hope you are right.

This must be life time cost and not purchase cost.
I don't think so. Govt. always issues money for Russian fighters when the question of ugrade comes. But i hope you should be right if unicorn148 in not right.

Even with a little bit of logic, wouldn't it be the best choice to use only single seat N-LCAs in air defense (with the lightest loads) roles in higher numbers and additional twin seat Mig 29s for air superiority and strikes in smaller numbers?
Where is the need of a twin seat N-LCA that can carry less, is less maneuverable and has less range?
Imo the whole N-LCA development has nothing to do with logic, or the best fighters for the carriers, but mainly with pride.

Sancho - I feel that the entire LCA programe was more aimed at providing us an Induastrial base for a combat aircraft, which is why we didnt aggressively push for this aircraft but kept the programe going. It was aimed at gaining the technology to make something our own.

I am very confident that Mk2 of LCA will be killer machine. who knows the NLCA will just use Mk2 airframe and engines?, you will not be surprised that Mk2 straight away going on carriers as LCA navale version while they keep testing the landing gear on NLCA mk1.

Yaar sancho, kahan se ye news leke aaya ??/ NLCA was unveiled in the beginning of this year. Now its almost complete and its not based on mkII. LCA mkII will make its first flight in 2014-2015. Check this out :

The first design prototype was roled out, but the final version will be based on MK2, including GE 414 engines, AESA radar...

You misunderstood it:

The carrier, which has been rechristened INS Vikramaditya is now scheduled to be delivered by 2013. India would pay another $1.2-billion for the new naval MiG-29K/KUB.

$1.2 billion for 29 x Mig 29K/KUB = $41.38 millions each!

The $4 billion includes this additional order and the initial order of the carrier and 16 x Migs (=$2.8 billions).

Sancho - I feel that the entire LCA programe was more aimed at providing us an Induastrial base for a combat aircraft, which is why we didnt aggressively push for this aircraft but kept the programe going. It was aimed at gaining the technology to make something our own.

I am very confident that Mk2 of LCA will be killer machine. who knows the NLCA will just use Mk2 airframe and engines?, you will not be surprised that Mk2 straight away going on carriers as LCA navale version while they keep testing the landing gear on NLCA mk1.

Hi Dash, of course getting experience and an industrial base is the most important point of the whole development, but still we could have reduced the delays much more, with concentrating on the really useful and needed versions.
I am confident for IAF LCA MK2 as well, but I don't see how N-LCA should be useful with limited payload, more (and more capable) Migs would have been better.

Any source ??/

LCA MK2 getting ready for indian navy

...But the LCA programme faces a bottleneck in choosing a new engine. Two uprated engines -- the General Electric GE-414 and the Eurojet EJ-200 -- are currently being evaluated, but will be supplied only by 2013-14. And only with the new engine will the LCA have the power to get airborne from an aircraft carrier.

P S Subramaniam, the Director of the Aeronautical Development Agency, which coordinates the LCA programme, explains: "We will fly the Naval LCA with the current GE-404 engine to test its flight characteristics, and whether its structural strength is sufficient for aircraft carrier operations. After the LCA is fitted with a new, more powerful engine we will take the next step of operating from an aircraft carrier."

Latest Defence news: LCA MK2 getting ready for indian navy

I am confident for IAF LCA MK2 as well, but I don't see how N-LCA should be useful with limited payload, more (and more capable) Migs would have been better.

This point is valid. Could there be a possibility to make it a twin engine fighter and then increase the payload. I dont know honestly:) coz if they do it, with AESA and pods it will be an even killer machine.....but then it wont be called a light combat fighter. But we have a base to do so...

Piracy Alert, Indian Navy Wants Sniper Rifles

With the ever increasing task of combing the Arabian Sea for pirates emboldened enough now to operate bare miles off the coast of India's Lakshadweep islands, the Indian Navy has invited information from rifle-houses for a potential purchase of new sniper rifles "for usage in a predominant maritime environment". It should be noted that this potential purchase is not for the Navy's MARCOS, which already use Dragunov and H&K rifles.

Livefist - Indian Defence & Aerospace: Piracy Alert, Indian Navy Wants Sniper Rifles

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

012209_marine_piracy_800.JPG

US Marine Corps soldier with MK-II sniper rifle

Back
Top Bottom