Status
Not open for further replies.

kobiraaz

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Orion_sky201108131313266432_Hadiya-hijab.jpg

Mangalore, Aug 12 – An Indian Muslim student in a Mangalore college, who was denied the right to wear hijab in classroom, has decided to take her fight for hijab right to the governor or even the President to protest against violating her religious freedom.

“There is no question of stepping back,” Hadiya, a II PUC (commerce) student of Jain PU College, Moodbidri, told Bangalore Mirror on Friday, August 12.

“Though the response from the DC was not very encouraging, I will wait till he gets back to me, either directly or through the college.”

As Hadiya decided to don hijab, the Muslim student prepared herself for the second academic year in her university.

Yet, the decision was not welcomed by the university administration who regarded it as a violation to the uniform.

At first, she was allowed to sit in the ladies room to complete her notes. Afterwards she was banned and stopped going to college over a month.

In a letter to Dakshina Kannada deputy commissioner Channappa Gowda, she has sought official permission to do so.

Hadiya said that she would go as far as to the governor or even the President if she fails to get a positive response from the deputy commissioner.

“In case I fail to get a positive response, after consulting my elders, I will write to the Governor and the President of India,” the 17-year-old student added.

Islam sees hijab as an obligatory code of dress, not a religious symbol displaying one’s affiliations.

Muslims account for 140 million of India's 1.1 billion people, the world's third-largest Islamic population after those of Indonesia and Pakistan.

Fighting for right to wear hijab for a year, Hadiya managed to initiate a signature campaign and got the support of 50 Muslim and 15 non-Muslim students, a move challenged later by the principal.

“The principal says I am creating tension in the college,” the young student said.

“I am only fighting for a cause. I want to continue my studies.”

Hadiya is not the first girl at Jain PU College who calls for right to don hijab.

Two years ago, Aysha Ashmin (19), an I B Com student of Sri Venkataraman Swamy (SVS) College, Bantwal, had made a similar complaint about not being allowed to wear a headscarf in class.

Subsequently, she changed her college.

According to her mother Hina, the family has no problem with the college but only wants permission for Hadiya to observe ‘hijab’.

Umaira Khatun, a social worker, said ‘hijab’ is a part of Islam and should be respected.

“We do not intend to bring a bad name to the college,” Khatun said.

Hadiya confirmed that she cares about completing her studies at her college and not to be forced to change it.

“Despite not attending classes, I constantly update my notes with the help of classmates in my neighborhood,” she said.

“Initially, I was allowed to sit in the ladies’ room. Now I have been asked not to come to the college.”

Muslims have long complained of being discriminated against in all walks of life in Hindu-majority India.

Official figures shows Muslims, whom make up around 20 percent of India's population, are lagging behind in literacy.

Muslims also complain of being discriminated against in jobs.

They account for less than seven percent of public service employees, only five percent of railways workers, around four percent of banking employees and there are only 29,000 Muslims in India's 1.3 million-strong military.

I am from Mangalore. There is no dicrimination here. Some colleges in Mangalore follow strict dress code irrespective of religions and some colleges dont follow. She is free to seek admission in a college which doesnt impose dress code. When I was studying, in my class there were couple of girls in Hijab and one in a burkha. India is much freer country than France and Italy when it comes to Burkha and hijab !

Mangalore, Aug 12 – An Indian Muslim student in a Mangalore college, who was denied the right to wear hijab in classroom, has decided to take her fight for hijab right to the governor or even the President to protest against violating her religious freedom.
“The principal says I am creating tension in the college,” the young student said.

What a load of bull! The educational institution has a "dress code". Since it is a private institution, they have the right to set their own rules, till the rules do NOT infringe on constitutional rights. And this rule in no way infringes on her constitutional rights. Plain and simple.
That lady does NOT need a hijab to continue or complete her studies. She needs to stick to the rules of the private institution and study hard. If she's so concerned about the dress code, join a religious institution instead. She is only trying to create a nuisance.
Oh, btw, there is no discrimination as insinuated in the article.

Again, what a load of BULL.

“There is no question of stepping back,” Hadiya, a II PUC (commerce) student of Jain PU College, Moodbidri, told Bangalore Mirror on Friday, August 12.

“Though the response from the DC was not very encouraging, I will wait till he gets back to me, either directly or through the college.”

As Hadiya decided to don hijab, the Muslim student prepared herself for the second academic year in her university.

Yet, the decision was not welcomed by the university administration who regarded it as a violation to the uniform.

At first, she was allowed to sit in the ladies room to complete her notes. Afterwards she was banned and stopped going to college over a month.

In a letter to Dakshina Kannada deputy commissioner Channappa Gowda, she has sought official permission to do so.

Hadiya said that she would go as far as to the governor or even the President if she fails to get a positive response from the deputy commissioner.

“In case I fail to get a positive response, after consulting my elders, I will write to the Governor and the President of India,” the 17-year-old student added.

Islam sees hijab as an obligatory code of dress, not a religious symbol displaying one’s affiliations.

Muslims account for 140 million of India's 1.1 billion people, the world's third-largest Islamic population after those of Indonesia and Pakistan.

Fighting for right to wear hijab for a year, Hadiya managed to initiate a signature campaign and got the support of 50 Muslim and 15 non-Muslim students, a move challenged later by the principal.

Hadiya is not the first girl at Jain PU College who calls for right to don hijab.

Two years ago, Aysha Ashmin (19), an I B Com student of Sri Venkataraman Swamy (SVS) College, Bantwal, had made a similar complaint about not being allowed to wear a headscarf in class.

According to her mother Hina, the family has no problem with the college but only wants permission for Hadiya to observe ‘hijab’.

Umaira Khatun, a social worker, said ‘hijab’ is a part of Islam and should be respected.

“We do not intend to bring a bad name to the college,” Khatun said.

Hadiya confirmed that she cares about completing her studies at her college and not to be forced to change it.

“Despite not attending classes, I constantly update my notes with the help of classmates in my neighborhood,” she said.

“Initially, I was allowed to sit in the ladies’ room. Now I have been asked not to come to the college.”

Muslims have long complained of being discriminated against in all walks of life in Hindu-majority India.

Official figures shows Muslims, whom make up around 20 percent of India's population, are lagging behind in literacy.

They account for less than seven percent of public service employees, only five percent of railways workers, around four percent of banking employees and there are only 29,000 Muslims in India's 1.3 million-strong military.

While I am in favor of freedom of choice to wear anything, I fail to understand the bold part. If it is obligatory everyone should do it, if not then it cannot be obligatory.

While I am in favor of freedom of choice to wear anything, I fail to understand the bold part. If it is obligatory everyone should do it, if not then it cannot be obligatory.

I dont think it is obligatory in Islam. Those who know may want to shed some light in it.

I am from Mangalore. There is no dicrimination here. Some colleges in Mangalore follow strict dress code irrespective of religions and some colleges dont follow. She is free to seek admission in a college which doesnt impose dress code. When I was studying, in my class there were couple of girls in Hijab and one in a burkha. India is much freer country than France and Italy when it comes to Burkha and hijab !

the same college doesnt impose ban on sikh turbans

no india is not a free country, the above is just a clear example, discriminations are clearly visible from events like gujrat massacre

no india is not a free country, the above is just a clear example, discriminations are clearly visible from events like gujrat massacre

My question to you, is wearing hijab mandatory in Islam? If it is yes , then why we see many muslim girls not wearing it ? As for Sikh turban, it is mandotory for every Sikh man to wear it.

Guessing a country's status by one incident . Lolz
Wearing hijab isnt banned in India as it is done in some so called secular European countries .

On topic , she might not be allowed to wear hijab as there might be some fixed dress code in place

Lol what .
It isnt compulsory . It's a matter of choice if u want to wear it or not
Saudi makes it compulsory to wear hijab doesnt mean it is obligatory in Islam : lol:

You are confusing between Hijab and Niqab. Covering face(niqab) is debatable however hijab(head scarf) is mandatory. My sister on above article is right that Islam made it mandatory for women to wear Hijab. I salute her. I personally favor Hijab over Niqab.

Mangalore, Aug 12  An Indian Muslim student in a Mangalore college, who was denied the right to wear hijab in classroom, has decided to take her fight for hijab right to the governor or even the President to protest against violating her religious freedom.

There is no question of stepping back, Hadiya, a II PUC (commerce) student of Jain PU College, Moodbidri, told Bangalore Mirror on Friday, August 12.

Though the response from the DC was not very encouraging, I will wait till he gets back to me, either directly or through the college.

In case I fail to get a positive response, after consulting my elders, I will write to the Governor and the President of India, the 17-year-old student added.

Islam sees hijab as an obligatory code of dress, not a religious symbol displaying ones affiliations.

The principal says I am creating tension in the college, the young student said.

I am only fighting for a cause. I want to continue my studies.

According to her mother Hina, the family has no problem with the college but only wants permission for Hadiya to observe hijab.

Umaira Khatun, a social worker, said hijab is a part of Islam and should be respected.

We do not intend to bring a bad name to the college, Khatun said.

Despite not attending classes, I constantly update my notes with the help of classmates in my neighborhood, she said.

Initially, I was allowed to sit in the ladies room. Now I have been asked not to come to the college.

Shall i see the link to the article?

My question to you, is wearing hijab mandatory in Islam? If it is yes , then why we see many muslim girls not wearing it ? As for Sikh turban, it is mandotory for every Sikh man to wear it.
From my knowledge,i think hijab is mandatory. But hijab is not exactly one see in that pic. Its just a type of hijab. Most muslims wear their shawls our their head.

I personally think hijab and niqab are one's personal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom