What's new

Indian music sliding down popularity charts: survey

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Saturday, December 02, 2006

Indian music sliding down popularity charts: survey

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistani music has increased in popularity in the past half a decade, challenging the exclusive hold of Indian music on Pakistani listeners, according to results of a recent Gallup, Pakistan, survey.

The survey showed that Indian music in Pakistan had been steadily decreasing in popularity over the past 25 years, while Pakistani music had gained a significant amount of new listeners. However, Indian songs still enjoy considerable popularity in Pakistan, the survey revealed. According to the survey results, over one-thirds (37 percent) of the Pakistani population preferred Indian music over any other, while one-fourths (19 percent) of them listened to only Pakistani songs and 38 percent people liked to listen to both Pakistani and Indian songs.

The survey has been conducted by Gallup, Pakistan, for a number of times since 1980, showing that exclusive preference for Indian music was at its highest, 54 percent, in 1980, which declined to 50 percent in 2000, before dropping to 37 percent in the 2006 survey.

The ratio of people who only listened to Pakistani music nearly doubled from 27 percent to 42 percent during 1980 to 2000. However, it dropped significantly to 19 percent in 2006, showing an increasing trend of listening to both Pakistani and Indian music. Gallup analysts said that greater access to Indian music through cable, satellite TV channels had blurred the distinction between Indian and Pakistani music and created the trend of listening to both, rather then exclusively preferring any of them.

The survey was conducted by Gallup, Pakistan, affiliated with Gallup International, and was based on a sample of over 1,200 people living in various urban areas of all four provinces. The sample population was statistically selected to cover people from all age groups and income and educational levels.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006\12\02\story_2-12-2006_pg7_49

Yeah, they're getting popular here in Europe aswell.
We've improved a lot lately, last three years have been amazing man!

There is also a new Hip-Hop movement initiating in America and Canada. Many guys i know try to rap freestyle and some rappers are hitting the mainstream as Bohemia and Pak Man plus Mr. Capone-E. They shall be extremely popular in the coming years.

Which ones?

[shameless advertising]Check out mine on http://www.aatishtheband.com

You can download a couple of songs too. If you have Indus Music, The Muzik or Aag, you can watch them on TV too! Trying to get a few concerts in Mumbai and Calcutta, so you might catch us there too! But dunno those organizers are dragging their asses![/shameless advertising]

So Pakistani music's on the rise eh? :D

Asim,

I wanna listen to you. Which song are you in?

The only Hindi/Urdu(It really doesnt matter to me I am a Malayalee, South Indian ) Music i listen to are pakistani and Euphoria,

Asim, Webby

who is the best up and coming talent over there now. Is atif aslam the best.

"Top Hits from across the border" has one of the best compilations available in india now.

No, I just wrote a few songs for them.

I manage that band, not play or sing in it.

The best new talent? Depends upon your taste. I like the metal stuff from Mizraab, they are are probably the best according to me.

Atif and Jal, eww :D That should explain it.

No, I just wrote a few songs for them.

I manage that band, not play or sing in it.

The best new talent? Depends upon your taste. I like the metal stuff from Mizraab, they are are probably the best according to me.

Atif and Jal, eww :D That should explain it.

Metal, cant do that dude, reminds me of my ex-girlfriend and me in our kitchen,,with the untensils and plates flying all around......kind makes the same sound..lol

i am more of a hip/hop,punjabi hip/hop, modern/alternative and classic rock.
i willl check out mizraab, i thought u were managin a band, didnt know there was a poet in u....put up couple of ur stuff on the board

Well the one song I wrote fully is called Maulana.

It's not on the site and only available in the album.

Hmmm the first verse and chorus goes like:

Zehni ghulam banaya mujhe
Jahalat ki orr bulaya mujhe
Roshan khayali se duur kia
Intiha pasand banaya mujhe

Chorus:
Bohot sunli teri taqreer, maulana
Par badli nahi meri taqdeer, maulana

Tu nahi hai maula mera!
Nahi, tu hai maula naaaaa!

loosely based/inspired on a Habib Jalib Poem also called Maulana.

Zehni ghulam banaya mujhe
Jahalat ki orr bulaya mujhe
Roshan khayali se duur kia
Intiha pasand banaya mujhe

Chorus:
Bohot sunli teri taqreer, maulana
Par badli nahi meri taqdeer, maulana

Tu nahi hai maula mera!
Nahi, tu hai maula naaaaa!

Couldn't agree more whith this Asim, good writing.
I want to read the rest aswell.
Post it please. :)

Listen to this!
I like it. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aatish is doin pretty good for themselves.....their new song Sawera just plain rox...and other songs too.....good stuff..

Pak music has got too much of strings in it and very les drums.

Back
Top Bottom