What's new

Indian Army News & Discussions

Ahem, Sundarji became a Chief in 1986... so you might have your facts twisted on sundarji doctrine there chief...

Huzoor it doesn't matter. Every doctrine has its prelude which one needs to understand. I am not directly talking about Sundarji here. The GOI and KGB had a plan in place to 'take care of Pakistan' since the 70s. Indra's plan for a mass invasion was thwarted by the US. Some people suggest that the US had threatened to enter the war if any such plan took place. That carried on to the Operation Brasstacks War games or War? | The plot behind Operation Brasstacks - until the nuclear factor was introduced. The doctrine died its natural death after the Operation Parakaram failed. Secondly if you read the history the Pakistani side was convinced that USSR and India were in an agreement to invade Pakistan in coordination should the USSR break through the D-Line. When Zia ul Haq went to India, met Rajiv and threatened to Nuke India if Brasstacks resulted in an invasion, it was due to the fact that the Soviet Union had pumped up its war in Afghanistan and was reaching close to our border around the same time.

Huzoor it doesn't matter. Every doctrine has its prelude which one needs to understand. I am not directly talking about Sundarji here. The GOI and KGB had a plan in place to 'take care of Pakistan' since the 70s. Indra's plan for a mass invasion was thwarted by the US. Some people suggest that the US had threatened to enter the war if any such plan took place. That carried on to the Operation Brasstacks War games or War? | The plot behind Operation Brasstacks - until the nuclear factor was introduced. The doctrine died its natural death after the Operation Parakaram failed. Secondly if you read the history the Pakistani side was convinced that USSR and India were in an agreement to invade Pakistan in coordination should the USSR break through the D-Line. When Zia ul Haq went to India, met Rajiv and threatened to Nuke India if Brasstacks resulted in an invasion, it was due to the fact that the Soviet Union had pumped up its war in Afghanistan and was reaching close to our border around the same time.

How is that any new fact, Pakistani military-politico nexus has survived till date on the Indian Boogeyman Syndrome.... it doesn't matter what steps India takes, It will always pose an existential threat to pakistani psyche

Paranoia was evident with Zia itself who thought an Indian exercise was prelude to an invasion, and we all are well aware of legendary Threat analysis of pakistani planners who have bungled up on every possible occasion... When zia said those words to Rajiv, he apparently commented to his aide "Bhudda Sathiya gaya hain"

I am not directly talking about Sundarji here.
The GOI and KGB had plans to "take care of Pakistan" since 1970's.
Indra's plan for a mass invasion was thwarted by the US. Some people suggest that the US had threatened to enter the war.
There's some serious misinterpretation.
It was HENRY KISSKNGER who had suggested that USSR 'd a revisionist and expansionist agenda behind "ostensibly" supporting India to attack West PAKISTAN. But his claim didnot have much proof and nor logic.
On dec 8,1971 CIA reported that India had plans to attack Azad kashmir and attack Pak armour and Air Force.

1) It was NOT a reliable report.It did NOT find many takers in AMERICA itself." NIXON and KISSINGER were virtually alone in US to support this claim" is what Christopher Van Hollen had to say about it.

2) CIA itself had given low priority to this as GEN.Westmoreland and others had argued that INDIA would face logistic obstacles in transferring its military from EAST TO WEST (Indian military was fighting in "East" Pakistan in those days).

2) The fact that Kashmir was a subject of long standing dispute between India and Pakistan and also that "West" Pakistan was not identical to Kashmir. And attack on Kashmir would be thwarted by India and that would not have surprised anyone.

3) INDIA had declared a unilateral ceasefire as soon as it was victorious in East. so this theory gets another thumbs down as it didnot have sufficient proof.

4) AMERICA knew it very well that even IF India had such plans that there would be ample time and clear signals to give a WARNING.

5) USSR was always clear that it's leverage would be to deter Chinese and American interference in East and not at attacking Pakistan.
And it was USSR's support that weakened Pakistan.
And after the success of "East" even USSR had declared ceasefire.
Ergo nowhere did India or USSR show any intention of attacking West Pakistan...that is unless Pak intended to attack Kashmir.

Read- Perceptions and behaviour of Soviet foreign Policy by Richard Herrman.

Last edited:
@Abingdonboy and @OrionHunter
did sunderji doctrine have anything to do with USSR and India secretly planning to attack Pakistan??

@sandy_3126 and @Joe Shearer
Nope! Where did you get that from? :woot:

But he was the proponent of India's nuclear doctrine, mechanized warfare, and jointmanship. I knew him personally. What an amazing personality! He would always think three steps ahead, like a consummate chess player.

Last edited:
Nope! Where did you get that from? :woot:

But he was the proponent of India's nuclear doctrine, mechanized warfare, and jointmanship. I knew him personally. What an amazing personality! He would always think three steps ahead, like a consummate chess player.
Hmmm I got it from admin's FB timeline.Originally it was an article about Turkey walking in Pakistan's steps but I spotted a line which said "GOI and KGB had plans to attack Pakistan in 70's ".
when I questioned him about it, he asked me to read Sundarji doctorine. And so I skimmed through whatever I got on net about Sundarji doctrine. But all in vain..nothing proved the point that CIA report was credible.
So I tortured him(admin) again with my questions.To which he said I should read it properly. :)
I kept scratching my grey cells and finally decided to torture the think tanks on PDF. And ergo my post. :-)
Thanks for clearing my doubts.

a7zQ6k0.jpg

army soldier runs after a drone being sent for surveillance during a gunbattle with armed militants at Pindi Khattar village in Arnia border sector

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom