What's new

Indian-American woman detained while walking, police question her immigration status

There is more discrimination against dark brown people in India than in the US. Until recently it wasn't even recognized as something wrong. Movies very casually insult the not so 'fair' people. Glad however to see in recent times that the youth of India (at least a portion of them) have realized how wrong that is.

This case of the lady being stopped and questioned in her neighborhood is by itself not wrong, especially if there had been a complaint of suspicious activity. However the question about illegal status is not allowed. The cop made a mistake or is indeed is racist if he asked that.

And Capt. Moore saying he doesn't know if there is a policy for asking about immigration status or not makes no sense. Why doesn't he know?

But all said, it is very admirable how well this lady has dealt with it - instead of screaming police brutality and racism, she has taken measures. kudos

It seems to me, Andhra/Telangana state affluent and even lower middle class parents aspire their kids to land in USA somehow.

She doesn't have much of a legal standing.

Maryland has a Stop and Frisk law:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=4-206&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5

But Bel Air Police Department has the responsibility to investigate "suspicious" activities. African Americans have gotten shot for not having ID...

Here's the local news station reporting:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/...ration-status-questioned-in-own-neighborhood/

There is a trend in closet racists who have become emboldened by President Trump's victory. But these people have been living before and even without him being elected.

For those with nothing better to do than lament, how's the Netherlands treating you?

its pretty normal to ask if they suspect you of wrongdoing... unless the police asked her in a demeaning manner or questions that are unrelated, I see nothing wrong..
They do here in UK too..

Is that why Indians (especially Sikhs) are ususally on the receiving end of Hate Crimes in the USA? Including a US veteran killing all the members of a Sikh Temple in Wisconsin?

Even regular American kids have been conditioned to see you guys as the enemy:

See the video, American kids of all ethnicities, White+Black+Hispanic+Asian, all pointing at this poor Sikh kid and labelling him a terrorist.

This is a phenomenom that exists, no point burying your head in the sand.
Because Sikha are confused with Arabs in US. Not because they are abusing for being Indian.

Is that why Indians (especially Sikhs) are ususally on the receiving end of Hate Crimes in the USA? Including a US veteran killing all the members of a Sikh Temple in Wisconsin?

Even regular American kids have been conditioned to see you guys as the enemy:

See the video, American kids of all ethnicities, White+Black+Hispanic+Asian, all pointing at this poor Sikh kid and labelling him a terrorist.

This happens to ALL sikhs and Indians? Its a tiny minority if you have actually been to the US. I have gone plenty of times, even to the boonies, never faced any racial prejudice at all. I am sure I will at some point down the road....doesnt mean the whole US is "conditioned" like you are describing.

Or should we believe all Tibetans are represented 100% by Dalai Lama :D

Indian government is responsible for this as they have always tried to label Sikh disporsa in USA, Canada and UK as terrorist seeking refugee...in reality they were only escaping from Indian government persecution and desecration

Because Sikha are confused with Arabs in US. Not because they are abusing for being Indian.

Arabs dont wear turban..neither Pakistanis...the narrative that "sikhs are confused as Arabs or Muslims" was invented by Indian media again to cover up their previous anti-Sikh propaganda...India media first hand policy is to blame others...!

Well i love the discourse among the nincompoops here. Discussing every shred of unverified reasons like arab lookalike to skin color to closet white supremacist majority in US to whatnot. Anything other than the on ground fact that she was walked back home when positively identified as US citizen.

The fact remains in-spite of how many such threads opened in umpteen forums, US is THE best go to place if you wanna emigrate to a "better" place. None would emigrate to china or russia or arabistan or where ever you think people are treated "nicely" if appropriate chance comes by.

:lol:

rights are violated when you are questioned/interrogated without committing any crime.

Negative. I would suggest you hit the local library or get someone here to give you a quick rundown about the meaning of rights !

She was not being questioned for a reported crime committed by a "non-white" somewhere in the locality. She was asked if she is legally residing here in States. She showed her citizenship proof and the agent walked her back home safely. Understand the difference.

Indians are the last to face police abuse , Indians are literally the most successful ethnicity in USA.

main-qimg-c4f35178e16d7338461353db47a7b4bd-c

I am not sure about that. Cops don't know how rich are you or where you are from??? Also it not routine for cops to stop you unless someone complains about you or you are violating some law.

See hate once legally fostered and promoted,knows no limits. It was started against Muslims but will spill over to others too. Its like a fire. Burns all.
Not much different from the WW2 times when Japanese Americans were regularly rounded up,harassed and kept under surveillance.

Negative. I would suggest you hit the local library or get someone here to give you a quick rundown about the meaning of rights !

She was not being questioned for a reported crime committed by a "non-white" somewhere in the locality. She was asked if she is legally residing here in States. She showed her citizenship proof and the agent walked her back home safely. Understand the difference.
Yes its all fine until the same happens to yourself.

its pretty normal to ask if they suspect you of wrongdoing... unless the police asked her in a demeaning manner or questions that are unrelated, I see nothing wrong..
They do here in UK too..

Police never ask you here in the uk if you are walking on a street.

ask a white man for proof of citizenship and then you will know

Back
Top Bottom