India Pakistan Economic Unification

Pakistan and India should move toward economic unification

• Yes

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 58.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I vote yes, because India and Pakistan should forget about the religious barrier. This would bring mutual benefits to both nation.

Instead of thinking of a new Union, it is better SAARC is revived and the onus lies with two biggest economies of this region namely India and Pakistan

I say no and I have my personal reasons.

National Security for one, Ideological differences another, But most of all, I just don't trust Them.

Call me biased, but that's what I have learnt from 65 years of history.

I think we should start with doing regular business. Like whatever is cheaper in each others nation we should buy from each other rather then from outside. I also feel that business to business contact between the two countries can be very beneficial.

Also looking at member of both sides saying no clearly shows we lack trust for each other which can only be built by more people to people contact and business between two countries.

http://www.ris.org.in/AEI_yao_chao_cheng_paper.pdf

Indian and Pakistanis have long historical and culture relationship, I think they should move towards the unification of their economy and resolve their regional disputes .We have successful example of EU.

Well this would be in a way a culmination of Jinnah's vision for Indo-Pak relationship where he wanted US-Cannada type relations with trade and commerce

Moreover, Iqbal's vision was for the NW part of India, present day Pakistan to be a bulwark against foreing powers into the Indian sub-continent. In otherwards a defence union. That would be the fulfiment of Iqbal's vision for the subcontinent.

However, there is no possibility of a politcal union ofcourse.

The Economic Union would not be akin to USA and Canada but more like West Germany and East Germany - it would put a stretch on our already limited resources. Hardly anyone in Pakistan pays tax. Their economy survives on bailouts. Even though Bangladesh is economically as anemic as Pakistan - I would even consider an economic union with Bangladesh because they are atleast moving in the right direction. Pakistan is a major economic failure. Free trade - yes, economic union - no.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom