What's new

India not even close to where China was 5 years ago: Chinese daily

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Chinese are worried about competition from India. Modi-ji's brilliant leadership has finally gotten China's attention. I have no doubt that all gaps with China can be quickly closed. India will quickly surpass China and America to become the number one high-tech economy in the world by 2020!

India not even close to where China was 5 years ago: Chinese daily - The Economic Times

BEIJING: Taking a dig at an American media report that India replaces China as next big frontier for the US tech companies, an article in state-run Chinese daily said India was "not even close" where China was five years ago.

Commenting on the New York Times report that "India replaces China as next big frontier for US tech companies" after meetings of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping with the executives of US tech companies during their recent visits to the US, an article in the Global Times today pointed to the inability of the BJP government to get the GST legislation through the Parliament.

"For instance, the states of India all have set their own varied taxes and multiple payments have to be made when commodities circulate between states. Unifying the taxes of commodities and services has been called on for years, but this is always blocked in the parliament. Even Modi cannot overcome this. In this circumstance, it is hard to forge ahead with developing an Internet economy," the article said.

"The development of the Internet cannot be separated from the level of the overall economy. India's Internet economy will not advance rapidly, let alone become the main driving force for India's economy unless the country enhances the openness and competitiveness of its overall economy, integrates markets effectively and builds a base for primary and intermediate manufacturing," it said.

"If this cannot be done, Modi's plan of making 'Digital India' will be just empty talk. From this perspective, India is not even close to where China was five years ago," it said.

It is the development of China's manufacturing that has laid a foundation for the rapid expansion of Internet economy, the daily said.

"Shopping online after all requires the provision of commodities. What India needs is an all-round and multi- layered manufacturing industry that can adapt to changes and be competitive," it said.

"India lags behind China in the fields of manufacturing, logistics and infrastructure by more than five years. Apart from the hardware, the key actually lies in the integration and openness of markets and in this respect China is more accomplished than India," it said.

"Undisputedly India has huge potential in terms of population and Internet use. But the development of the Internet economy doesn't solely depend on large population and it is not decided simply by factors like the number of mobile phones in use and Internet surfers," it said.

India has 243 million Internet of which 35 million shopped online. In China, the numbers were 649 million users and 361 million online shoppers.

"The data can prove that the number of Internet users is important for Internet economy, but is just one of the factors," it said.

"To develop, the Internet economy cannot build castles in the air or take off regardless of a frail economic foundation. It depends on the maturity of the market economy and the development of other sectors like business, finance, logistics, transport, manufacturing, Internet infrastructure and public education," it added.

Ok So what? Earlier chines trolls used to say that india is 50 years behind and now they say that it is more than 5years. First of decide the figures. We shall discuss that later on.

I guess, if not 15, 10 years would be a good time frame for comparison. Frankly speaking, I think China is way out of our league now. It's time we should stop looking at China as a competitor and start inculcating their success story within our economy. With current state of affairs, I think it would take us another 10-15 years to be where China is now.

no point comparing apple and oranges

and here comes a guava :-)

The Chinese are worried about competition from India. Modi-ji's brilliant leadership has finally gotten China's attention. I have no doubt that all gaps with China can be quickly closed. India will quickly surpass China and America to become the number one high-tech economy in the world by 2020!

India not even close to where China was 5 years ago: Chinese daily - The Economic Times

BEIJING: Taking a dig at an American media report that India replaces China as next big frontier for the US tech companies, an article in state-run Chinese daily said India was "not even close" where China was five years ago.

Commenting on the New York Times report that "India replaces China as next big frontier for US tech companies" after meetings of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping with the executives of US tech companies during their recent visits to the US, an article in the Global Times today pointed to the inability of the BJP government to get the GST legislation through the Parliament.

"For instance, the states of India all have set their own varied taxes and multiple payments have to be made when commodities circulate between states. Unifying the taxes of commodities and services has been called on for years, but this is always blocked in the parliament. Even Modi cannot overcome this. In this circumstance, it is hard to forge ahead with developing an Internet economy," the article said.

"The development of the Internet cannot be separated from the level of the overall economy. India's Internet economy will not advance rapidly, let alone become the main driving force for India's economy unless the country enhances the openness and competitiveness of its overall economy, integrates markets effectively and builds a base for primary and intermediate manufacturing," it said.

"If this cannot be done, Modi's plan of making 'Digital India' will be just empty talk. From this perspective, India is not even close to where China was five years ago," it said.

It is the development of China's manufacturing that has laid a foundation for the rapid expansion of Internet economy, the daily said.

"Shopping online after all requires the provision of commodities. What India needs is an all-round and multi- layered manufacturing industry that can adapt to changes and be competitive," it said.

"India lags behind China in the fields of manufacturing, logistics and infrastructure by more than five years. Apart from the hardware, the key actually lies in the integration and openness of markets and in this respect China is more accomplished than India," it said.

"Undisputedly India has huge potential in terms of population and Internet use. But the development of the Internet economy doesn't solely depend on large population and it is not decided simply by factors like the number of mobile phones in use and Internet surfers," it said.

India has 243 million Internet of which 35 million shopped online. In China, the numbers were 649 million users and 361 million online shoppers.

"The data can prove that the number of Internet users is important for Internet economy, but is just one of the factors," it said.

"To develop, the Internet economy cannot build castles in the air or take off regardless of a frail economic foundation. It depends on the maturity of the market economy and the development of other sectors like business, finance, logistics, transport, manufacturing, Internet infrastructure and public education," it added.

india needs GST bill right away

I guess, if not 15, 10 years would be a good time frame for comparison. Frankly speaking, I think China is way out of our league now. It's time we should stop looking at China as a competitor and start inculcating their success story within our economy. With current state of affairs, I think it would take us another 10-15 years to be where China is now.

More like 30 years to be honest.

India cannot even be compared to a unitary state like China as it is a giant experiment in unifying the Hindus of South Asia.

More like 30 years to be honest.

India cannot even be compared to a unitary state like China as it is a giant experiment in unifying the Hindus of South Asia.

Right. But for the sake of simplicity lets just consider comparing the economies. I think 10-15 years is a reasonable time-frame. Of course, this time frame does not indicate the time to catch up to China. It just indicates the time required for India to reach where China is right NOW.

India has the resources and knowledge. The two things hindering India is Infrastructure and Willingness to work for a common goal. I am hopeful that in another 5-10 years, India will be able to add some much required Infrastructure across the country to achieve and sustain the growth rate goal set by the government. What I am more concerned with is the mentality of our people. I don't see India progressing unless people of the country shed all their differences and inhibitions and work towards a common goal just like China did. Until then, we will keep fighting over petty issues (beef, artist) and will never come out of the well because we will keep pulling the legs of others trying to escape the well that they are in.

Right. But for the sake of simplicity lets just consider comparing the economies. I think 10-15 years is a reasonable time-frame. Of course, this time frame does not indicate the time to catch up to China. It just indicates the time required for India to reach where China is right NOW.

India has the resources and knowledge. The two things hindering India is Infrastructure and Willingness to work for a common goal. I am hopeful that in another 5-10 years, India will be able to add some much required Infrastructure across the country to achieve and sustain the growth rate goal set by the government. What I am more concerned with is the mentality of our people. I don't see India progressing unless people of the country shed all their differences and inhibitions and work towards a common goal just like China did. Until then, we will keep fighting over petty issues (beef, artist) and will never come out of the well because we will keep pulling the legs of others trying to escape the well that they are in.

You have highlighted an important point and that is the mentality of Indians
is very backward. Why people kill over religion is beyond me - it strikes me as
very odd that you would kill after literally being brainwashed by parents since birth.

India needs to focus on basics like sanitation, basic healthcare, decent nutrition and core
infrastructure for the next 15-20 years. Only after successfully achieving these things should
it even think about competing with the likes of China.

India is already way ahead of China as India is a democracy. All the numbers put out by China are fabricated, and all the sky scrapers in China are empty. India is even ahead of the US, especially in GPS as Indian GPS is far more advanced. With Modi and his yoga moves, the world is indeed mesmerized by India

You made good point. In terms of GDP figure, Indian may be able to get to where China is in 15 years, but things like life expectancy and other social indicators, Indian has a much longer way to go. When it comes to national psyche, India really has an even longer distance to cover. I remember what an Indian scholar said 18 years ago when comparing two nations: "India is an open society with closed mind, and China is a closed society with an open mind". Well, China is not a closed society anymore, but India still has a closed mind, worse, India seems going backwards in this regard in the past couple of years.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom