What's new

India is using the CWG to insult itself: 8% of the English team have fallen ill

I haven't heard of any African athletes complaining - where did you see that?

And who said that 'normal athletes are worried about India's success'? Let me reiterate: their diarrhoea issues are not in any way related to the facilities provided in the CWG. That has already been posted earlier on this thread.

believe me it has nothing to do with hygine or anything of that sort. it's just that these guys can't handle their formar colonies putting up a good show. it shows not only by the participating contingent but also by the broadcasters back home. as far as bbc is concerned, cwg is only about england, scotland, wales, ireland, canada & australia. rest of the countries doesn't exist. me having to surf the internet to see the videos of the medal winning performance from the athletes of lesser god!! when it comes silly little things like moths around the flood light, little scratch on the cycling velodrome or few floating nuggets on the swimming pool, these guys are ther with their cameras on the front of the que & ready to redicule the whole nation!! me feeling absolutely sick of these guys attitude!!

The vast majority of the western public have a certain stereotypical world view about China, Iran, Middle East, Pakistan, India, North Korea, Muslims, Africa, etc and hence western media reporting on these regions is quite monotonous - basically meant to reinforce the belief of the majority since that is what the majority want to see.

My trouble was that many Indians in the past have suggested that since western public wants to see things in a certain way regarding Pakistan, that what they want to see has something to it - i.e. some truth to it. Obviously WMDs, how they portray China, Iran, some middle eastern countries vs how they are at the ground suggests otherwise. It's a two edged sword as far as these Indians are concerned - on hand western media portrayal of India and on the other the portrayal of Pakistan.

Anyway, don't mind my rant. I see this happening so often I have to get that out of my system.

africans have complained

Racism at Commonwealth Games? Africans upset - The Times of India

the sickness issue must be irritating as hell, you are here competing and instead you are worried about hygiene and health - western or not thats not acceptable

and ofcourse the westerners will be accustomed to a certain level of service - well india have to step up and so far its been mixed to say the least

in essence india are playing the race card when the athletes have some extremely legitimate gripes, the whole western world was very enthusiastic about india getting the games, so talk of bias and jealousy is desperate imo

Huh - I read that ToI article long back. And you quoted only one part of it. Here's some more:

While the OC has been overly sensitive to the wishes of countries like the UK, Australia and Canada, the African countries found that they had been virtually ignored by the organisers.

The first site visit for the African countries to Games venues was arranged only this week. For months, said sources, African countries have been asking for information from the government, but in vain. Last week was the first time they got any briefing from the ministry of external affairs.

I was expecting something like Africans being laughed at or mocked by the Delhi crowd or something like that. This is just another example of pathetic infuriating reporting. The only noteworthy thing here is that the child who cries loudest gets most attention - hence the Aussies, Brits and Canadians were getting more attention. Hardly 'racism'. More like typical inefficiency by the Indian organizing comittee.

Regarding sickness issue, I reiterate yet again: none of their 'sickness issues' were due to the games facilities. India has provided service as per international standards. Repeating this lie that the sickness issues had something to do with the games facilities is malicious.

Last edited:
in essence india are playing the race card when the athletes have some extremely legitimate gripes, the whole western world was very enthusiastic about india getting the games, so talk of bias and jealousy is desperate imo

it's not about racism. It is about the stereotypical view that the Western media holds w.r.t. India, and their tendency to try to twist/amplify facts to fit that worldview. Racism is becoming an overused word.

Just wait for the day when Pakistan hosts some international event. Just watch how the Western media will start off about terrorism, wars, Islam, Burkhas, poverty, military dictators, nuke proliferation, etc. side by side with the games reporting, even when completely irrelevant to the issue being reported.

Huh - I read that ToI article long back. And you quoted only one part of it. Here's some more:

I was expecting something like Africans being laughed at or mocked by the Delhi crowd or something like that. This is just another example of pathetic infuriating reporting. The only noteworthy thing here is that the child who cries loudest gets most attention - hence the Aussies, Brits and Canadians were getting more attention. Hardly 'racism'.

Regarding sickness issue, I reiterate yet again: none of their 'sickness issues' were due to the games facilities. India has provided service as per international standards. Repeating this lie that the sickness issues had something to do with the games facilities is malicious.

pardon me but who in this instance is to decide what a legitimate gripe - is it just the indians?

there are many many people sick, not just a dozen or so but at the VERY least about 50-60 people - now remember these are top professional disciplined healthy athletes so what gives?

please give this some proper consideration.

i have been to s.asia - and i have avoided sickness, by being careful, it seems that the western athletes have not been given proper attention

and as for the facilities - come on - the reports are clearly very mixed, they dont look that great at all, and the pics from before are now world famous.

i just dont get this immature attitude that its somehow OTHER peoples fault that some aspects of this have been a shambles.

the world has been very very generous to india.

pardon me but who in this instance is to decide what a legitimate gripe - is it just the indians?

there are many many people sick, not just a dozen or so but at the VERY least about 50-60 people - now remember these are top professional disciplined healthy athletes so what gives?

Many peopl don't realize here that the athletes are not spending 24/7 living in the commonwealth village. After their games are over, they do go outside of the complex to enjoy the city life. Without giving consideration to these factors it is irrational to blame the cause of sickness to the unhealthy standards inside the games facilities.

i have been to s.asia - and i have avoided sickness, by being careful, it seems that the western athletes have not been given proper attention

and as for the facilities - come on - the reports are clearly very mixed, they dont look that great at all, and the pics from before are now world famous.

i just dont get this immature attitude that its somehow OTHER peoples fault that some aspects of this have been a shambles.

the world has been very very generous to india.

The only problem here is the initial fcuk-up with the venues not being ready. Yes, those initial pictures were damaging as hell. The problem here is that those initial pictures have set the tone for all further reporting, combined with the bias and stereotypes of the Western media which I spoke of above.

I know people who work at those venues, and I have been following this stuff very closely and the fact of the matter is, subsequent to that initial fcuk-up, all subsequent 'problems' were so damn minor and inconsequential. Almost all events anywhere in the world are bound to run into some issues of that kind. The way it is being portrayed, as if the whole thing is on the verge of collapse, is infuriating.

And no, I never said that it is OTHER people's fault that some aspects of this have been a shambles. It is purely India's fault that was responsible for the fiasco in the run-up to the games. But is also to the credit of India (Sheila Dixit and Delhi state Govt.), that things were turned around so spectacularly.

My gripe is that even those aspects which have not been a shambles have been presented as such, and no, the media in some countries (we all know which ones) has not been fair to India, unlike what you say.

The problem here is that those initial pictures have set the tone for all further reporting, combined with the bias and stereotypes of the Western media which I spoke of above

again playing the victim card - the western media have been gushing with their depiction of india, giving india the platform to project itself as something shining, the political angle is pretty clear with subtle jibes at china almost omnipresent - it occurs to me that delhi CWG has clearly had ample controversy - yet india are turning on the same people who are doing their hardest to project india postively!!!

of all the asian peoples complaining about negative stereotypes it is the indians who should be least of all.

again playing the victim card - the western media have been gushing with their depiction of india, giving india the platform to project itself as something shining, the political angle is pretty clear with subtle jibes at china almost omnipresent - it occurs to me that delhi CWG has clearly had ample controversy - yet india are turning on the same people who are doing their hardest to project india postively!!!

of all the asian peoples complaining about negative stereotypes it is the indians who should be least of all.

Sorry, I cannot agree with you. I can post links to several discussions and forums where this has been discussed, with proof of how maliciously sections of the media have been covering this event. One Australian channel even went to the extent of fabricating news, blatantly lying about 'security violation sting operation' and is being sued now.

In the same vein, I can claim that the Western media tries its hardest to project Pakistan positively by glorifying the 'ally against the WoT' part, but I won't, because I know thats not the case. I can also say that they are trying their hardest to project China positively, with the glittering coverage of Beijing olympics, but that isn't true either.

Sorry, I cannot agree with you. I can post links to several discussions and forums where this has been discussed, with proof of how maliciously sections of the media have been covering this event. One Australian channel even went to the extent of fabricating news, blatantly lying about 'security violation sting operation' and is being sued now.

In the same vein, I can claim that the Western media tries its hardest to project Pakistan positively by glorifying the 'ally against the WoT' part, but I won't, because I know thats not the case. I can also say that they are trying their hardest to project China positively, with the glittering coverage of Beijing olympics, but that isn't true either.

so here and there the media have gone over the top, the general consensus is still positive, certainly i can say this is the case in GB where i live - which is why i feel india have been very lucky and fortunate.

as per the comparison with pakistan and china - well thats a whole different story, again india come out on top, since india has never been considered as anything other than western allies, hence the tolerance for their slip up's is much greater, pak and china are the exact opposite.

its lucky for china that beijing was largely a great success, else it would have been worse for them.

its lucky for china that beijing was largely a great success, else it would have been worse for them.
Agree China's Olympic was successful, but do you imagine that the media reports that you got are controlled by the govt. The media is only allowed to access areas where the govt wants them to... holds true even for the foreign media.

Countries like India and Pakistan are different, since the media is free to pick and chose where they want to go and what they want to report.

But the primary point here is that the damage was done early on with the negative media reporting which allowed the media to pounce on the rest of the negativity about the organization of the games. We know how a bureaucratic system operates when asked to get their act straight.

Agree China's Olympic was successful, but do you imagine that the media reports that you got are controlled by the govt. The media is only allowed to access areas where the govt wants them to... holds true even for the foreign media.

Countries like India and Pakistan are different, since the media is free to pick and chose where they want to go and what they want to report.

But the primary point here is that the damage was done early on with the negative media reporting which allowed the media to pounce on the rest of the negativity about the organization of the games. We know how a bureaucratic system operates when asked to get their act straight.

I think because india constantly boasting about being a superpower, as an superpower, western countries expect the best out of india not fallen bridge and building roof or scoreboard. :blink:

Back
Top Bottom