What's new

India is using the CWG to insult itself: 8% of the English team have fallen ill

The commonwealth game is a FIASCO and an evidence that India could never host an international sporting event as mentioned by Sepp Blatter in 2008. India is only good for making virtual Bollywood films, to make their 800 Million poor dream- dream that they are rich, that they can marry a white female, that they live in big houses with swimming pools, that they are all Ambani, British citizen Mittal etc. The reality is 800 Million impoverished with no access to toilets, to potable water, no access to basic health care and hygiene and that their situations are worst than in Sub Saharian Africa.
Despite the backing of the West, India could not hold an outdated regional event, the opening ceremony is simply a bad imitation of the Bejing Opening 2008 Olympic-(a 80,000 seats Bird nest stadium compard to the small 60,000 palces J Nehru stadium.) By contrast despite the fact that the West had tried to sabotage the Beijing Olympic, despite the US involvement in the 2008 Tibetan riots and despite all the negative media coverage before the start of the Beijing Olympic (CNN had mentioned at that time that pollution would prevent Athletes to have world class performance, that athletes would be sick due to pollution and that the opening Olympic ceremony would not be visible due to smokes), the Beijing Olympics had been the best Olympic extravaganza never held in history according to the same Western media which had confessed same after the end of the 2008 Olympic games. S.Coe of the London Organizing ommittee even confessed that the London games wouldnot match the Beijing games. The Beijing Olympic had also witnessed records in the Cube swimming pool by Phelps and in the Bird nest Olympic Stadium by Usan Bolt.
What we see now for the CWG? Athletes are sick not in Beijing but in the Delhi games, the Commonwealth is boycotted by the best Australian and Jamaican athletes, the CWG is being staged in front of empty seats, the CWG has witnessed no world class performance etc etc etc
This, not to mention the fact that the CWG is only a regional event just like the African Games or the Francophonie Games. South Africa itself had been able to organize and host a world class event with outstanding infrastructure and Brazil will host the World Cup and Olympic games.
Just watch the forthcoming Asian Games to be hosted by China and you will see the difference.:victory::pakistan::china::yahoo:

And despite the deadly Sichuan 2008 earthquake, the Beijing Olympic was a mega success never seen before!:china::pakistan:

The commonwealth game is a FIASCO and an evidence that India could never host an international sporting event as mentioned by Sepp Blatter in 2008. India is only good for making virtual Bollywood films, to make their 800 Million poor dream- dream that they are rich, that they can marry a white female, that they live in big houses with swimming pools, that they are all Ambani, British citizen Mittal etc. The reality is 800 Million impoverished with no access to toilets, to potable water, no access to basic health care and hygiene and that their situations are worst than in Sub Saharian Africa.
Despite the backing of the West, India could not hold an outdated regional event, the opening ceremony is simply a bad imitation of the Bejing Opening 2008 Olympic-(a 80,000 seats Bird nest stadium compard to the small 60,000 palces J Nehru stadium.) By contrast despite the fact that the West had tried to sabotage the Beijing Olympic, despite the US involvement in the 2008 Tibetan riots and despite all the negative media coverage before the start of the Beijing Olympic (CNN had mentioned at that time that pollution would prevent Athletes to have world class performance, that athletes would be sick due to pollution and that the opening Olympic ceremony would not be visible due to smokes), the Beijing Olympics had been the best Olympic extravaganza never held in history according to the same Western media which had confessed same after the end of the 2008 Olympic games. S.Coe of the London Organizing ommittee even confessed that the London games wouldnot match the Beijing games. The Beijing Olympic had also witnessed records in the Cube swimming pool by Phelps and in the Bird nest Olympic Stadium by Usan Bolt.
What we see now for the CWG? Athletes are sick not in Beijing but in the Delhi games, the Commonwealth is boycotted by the best Australian and Jamaican athletes, the CWG is being staged in front of empty seats, the CWG has witnessed no world class performance etc etc etc
This, not to mention the fact that the CWG is only a regional event just like the African Games or the Francophonie Games. South Africa itself had been able to organize and host a world class event with outstanding infrastructure and Brazil will host the World Cup and Olympic games.
Just watch the forthcoming Asian Games to be hosted by China and you will see the difference.:victory::pakistan::china::yahoo:

I am not at all angry by silly comments of some pakistani posters. Infact, I am enjoying seeing the colour of your skin turning GREEN. Keep up the show and provide us laughs.

From an england forum someone say:

Another thing to add to Delhi's disasters - the 10m Diving Board, well, isn't 10m high! It's allegedly 10.7m high! You really couldn't make it up - indeed Delhi is providing all the material necessary for the BBC's forthcoming spoof on the organising of London 2012.
And I don't think anyone has even mentioned how the Mens 4x100m relay had to be delayed today while debris was being cleared out of the pool!

If the 10m Diving Board he say is really 10.7M high ,it will hurt the athlete.

Last edited:
Because things keep happening to these countries athletes, if here was nothing to complain about, they wouldn't be complaining. You all keep implying that they are just complaining about things for the hell of it and to give India a bad name, that's not the case. They wouldn't be complaining if there was nothing to complain about.

they are whiners and plain @ssholes. You know that but you will oppose the Indians...........till you are kicked in your black south asian pants, then you will cry foul.....

A reality check for India's middle class

The Delhi Games fiasco is a long-overdue reminder of the country's true state.

THE delusional and self-satisfied antics of the Indian middle class have been brutally ripped apart and exposed - like some of the Games facilities - by the farce of the Commonwealth Games being played out in the Indian capital. It's been a curious derangement. Reasonably educated and moderately affluent people confused wishful thinking with reality as though merely wishing for something was sufficient to bring it about.

For years, the dinner-table talk in middle-class homes has been of India's new image in the world, its rightful desire to play a bigger role on the world stage, and its legitimate aspiration for a seat on the United Nations Security Council. Fantastic rates of economic growth and a new prosperity, so the smug talk went, had finally laid to rest the old painful images of India's immemorial poverty.

Seduced by their new gleaming shopping malls, mobile phones, plasma TVs, trendy wine bars and luxury cars, the middle class smirked at having abolished the memory of those monstrously hateful words of V. S. Naipaul in Area of Darkness: "Indians defecate everywhere. They defecate, mostly, beside the railway tracks. They defecate on the beaches; they defecate on the hills; they defecate on the river banks; they defecate on the streets … The truth is that Indians do not see these squatters and might even, with complete sincerity, deny that they exist.''

What the Indian middle class has been busy denying for a decade is the reality of India's poverty: that 830 million Indians make less than 20 rupees (A50¢) a day; that if you drive 30 minutes outside the big cities, you confront living conditions in the villages that are almost mediaeval; and that while the scourge of starvation may no longer haunt India, millions, including 2000 to 3000 children every day, die a slow death from malnutrition.

Indian statistics on health, infant mortality, malnutrition and income are worse than those for sub-Saharan Africa. Indians lack basic necessities - clean homes, clean drinking water, toilets, medicines.

The rich, who travel first class, have to pick their way through families sleeping on the ground and, from the train, they can see slum dwellers relieving themselves on the tracks because they have nowhere else to go.

Yes, some Indians had convinced themselves that, in the popular slogan, India was ''shining''. Merely because the economy was booming and the stockmarket soaring, the country was poised on the threshold of superpowerdom.

It was these delusional fantasies that made the middle class think its bumbling ''babus'' (bureaucrats) and corrupt politicians could organise a successful international sports event.

Again, they ignored the reality around them. Every day, the same Indians visit government offices where they see the same squalid sight: rooms that have not been painted for a decade, where the walls are splattered with the dirty orange-brown stains left by the ''paan'' (betel nut) spat out by its masticators, ******* furniture, leaking taps, dirty windows, dust, and fetid toilets with wet floors where the stink makes you gag.

What made them think the same men and women who live and work in such conditions possessed the standards and project managements skills necessary to create world class structures and organise a sports event of the magnitude of the Commonwealth Games? A ludicrous sense of superiority.

It was the same superiority complex that had some Indians frothing at the mouth at Slumdog Millionaire's success. "Why does the West have to show our slums?" they harrumphed, as though India's slums, where millions live out their entire lives without a shred of dignity or comfort, were a thing of the past.

The men in charge of the Games - Organising Committee secretary-general Lalit Bhanot and chairman Suresh Kalmadi - display the same self-satisfaction. In an interview a year ago with Bhanot in his office, I was appalled at the hubris oozing from every pore as I asked him about the country's preparedness.

His body language and the expression on his face were that of a feudal lord who could not be questioned.

Kalmadi is no better. Various countries offered him their expertise in arranging the Games but he flicked the offers aside contemptuously, despite the fact that the last time India arranged such a gigantic event was the Asian Games in 1982. No, thank you, we Indians are far too clever to need any help.

It sounds mean, but there is a touch of divine justice in the shame felt by many middle class Indians over the Games fiasco. When they were prospering and leaving their fellow citizens far behind, they never spared a thought for them and their daily humiliations.

Nor did they ever spare a thought for the rural labourers who slaved in the searing heat to build the stadiums, bridges, flyovers, and Games village to make middle class Indians proud, while living themselves in tents next to sewers infested with mosquitoes. Now they know the sting of humiliation.

Amrit Dhillon is a Dehli-based freelance writer.

A reality check for India's middle class

This article is a good wake up call for probably tens of millions of bhartis. No, I am not trying to make fun of the poverty or anything such. The problem is that 10 years of good growth has made you guys utterly full of yourself and your ego has increased exponentially. You guys talk of Pakistan as some Africa-like country, and India as a country that is on the level of China or even higher, when the reality is that your GDP per capita is only slightly higher than that of Pakistan.

You guys attack anyone who tells you that you're not as great as you may think just yet - and do so in sort of a way how a gang would do it. Filled with personal attacks and diverting from the facts at hand.

This article is a good wake up call for probably tens of millions of bhartis. No, I am not trying to make fun of the poverty or anything such. The problem is that 10 years of good growth has made you guys utterly full of yourself and your ego has increased exponentially. You guys talk of Pakistan as some Africa-like country, and India as a country that is on the level of China or even higher, when the reality is that your GDP per capita is only slightly higher than that of Pakistan.

You guys attack anyone who tells you that you're not as great as you may think just yet - and do so in sort of a way how a gang would do it. Filled with personal attacks and diverting from the facts at hand.

In principle, I agree with you. There is a lot of work that needs to be done, and people who like to behave as if we are already in the first world, or even at the level of China, are deluded. I agree with your statement that the high growth and immense glitter of the big cities has dazzled many middle class Indians and made them forget the realities of the 'other India'. As regards Pakistan, yes, I find it embarassing at times when some people paint a picture as if India vs Pakistan is like USA vs. Somalia! Of course, India is ahead in almost all indicators (literacy, infant mortality, etc.), but not by much. There is not much to choose in terms of social indicators when you talk in per capita terms.

That said, I find the posted article rather stupid in many ways. In the article dated 25th September, the author simply jumped on to the bandwagon of India-CWG-bashing at a time when things were not looking too good. He made the same mistake that scores of Western journalists made, condemning the games as a failure even before they began. The games went on, and so far they have been excellent. And yes, the stands are filling up too, gradually. And moreover, this thread talks of people falling ill, presumably due to water. This thoery was proved false the very next day, but will it not hurt Indians to see the terrible and hostile media coverage, presuming that the fault is in the water, without even verifying or confirming it? And the fact that it isn't really so, is not given any coverage in the Western media! The author forgets that there are hundreds of brilliant and world-class projects executed in India in various fields, in his rush to go along with the tide of CWG bashing. You have to agree that the Western media (certain countries, which no one needs to name) has been a *****, and no Indian is going to forget that in a hurry.

Edit: And one more thing. I was reading this thread yesterday, and I clearly remember that the trolling was started by one Pakistani member called 'XYON' on '10-08-2010, 02:13 PM'. His comment seems to have been deleted now by moderator. The trolling was not started by 'Bhartis' as you put it. And anyway, this is a troll thread, now that the premise of athletes falling ill due to the pool has been proved false.

Last edited:
If the report has been proven false then I guess there's nothing to look at.

As far as the western media is concerned, yeah I agree with you. Though I have to say, many Indians suggest that when western media reports something about Pakistan, then it has to be true, because it's the western media saying it and the western media has no agenda (their monotonous portrayal of China, Iran, North Korea, Middle eastern countries barring Israel, Pakistan, North Korea, Cuba (i.e. pretty much any country whose people tend to dislike the west) would suggests otherwise) and western media has no good reason to attack Pakistan. That's obviously BS and I am not gonna go that way either, but just wanted to get that out.

the africans have complained about racism from indians

do you guys really believe that normal athletes are worried about "india's success" when they have diarrhea and other issues

If the report has been proven false then I guess there's nothing to look at.

As far as the western media is concerned, yeah I agree with you. Though I have to say, many Indians suggest that when western media reports something about Pakistan, then it has to be true, because it's the western media saying it and the western media has no agenda (their monotonous portrayal of China, Iran, North Korea, Middle eastern countries barring Israel, Pakistan, North Korea, Cuba (i.e. pretty much any country whose people tend to dislike the west) would suggests otherwise) and western media has no good reason to attack Pakistan. That's obviously BS and I am not gonna go that way either, but just wanted to get that out.
The western media has a stereo typical vision of a country and they want to re iterate it. If something goes against the script written for that country that wouldn't be of news value for them. In India's case it is 'slumdog' India. But the Indian media is equally bad when it to comes to biased reporting. They wanted to distance from that 'other India' as if they are not a part of it. Most of the news carried out by western media earlier were from the Indian media.

do you guys really believe that normal athletes are worried about "india's success" when they have diarrhea and other issues

I haven't heard of any African athletes complaining - where did you see that?

And who said that 'normal athletes are worried about India's success'? Let me reiterate: their diarrhoea issues are not in any way related to the facilities provided in the CWG. That has already been posted earlier on this thread.

I pity on those "normal" athletes immunity system, when they know that they are visiting a developing country where the standards of hygiene is lower than theirs, cant they come prepared? or dont they have access to medication ?

khelne aate hai ya khamiyaa nilkaane :angry:

I haven't heard of any African athletes complaining - where did you see that?

And who said that 'normal athletes are worried about India's success'? Let me reiterate: their diarrhoea issues are not in any way related to the facilities provided in the CWG. That has already been posted earlier on this thread.

africans have complained

In fact, privately, the word from many African countries is that India was practising the same kind of racism against the African countries that India itself has complained against.

Racism at Commonwealth Games? Africans upset - The Times of India

the sickness issue must be irritating as hell, you are here competing and instead you are worried about hygiene and health - western or not thats not acceptable

and ofcourse the westerners will be accustomed to a certain level of service - well india have to step up and so far its been mixed to say the least

in essence india are playing the race card when the athletes have some extremely legitimate gripes, the whole western world was very enthusiastic about india getting the games, so talk of bias and jealousy is desperate imo

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom