What's new

India is using the CWG to insult itself: 8% of the English team have fallen ill

peaceful

Reaction score
Delhi pool linked to gastro outbreak - Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games News

England chef de mission Craig Hunter also said toilets at the aquatics centre were not functioning properly, potentially adding to the problems.

Australian team medical director Peter Harcourt believes the over representation of swimmers indicates the source of the problem is not food-related, Moneghetti said.

"Obviously we are all eating in the dining hall, we are all eating the casual dining, we are all eating the same food," Moneghetti said.

"And there's very few cases across the board.

"It seems like there's more cases specifically in one sport.

"I think we [are up to] over a dozen [swimmers]."

Asked if he thought the pool water or facilities at the Dr SP Mukherjee Aquatic Complex could be responsible for the illness spreading, Moneghetti said it "is possible", but added he was no expert.

"At this point in time I would only be speculating but it seems that there's a possibility that it's where the swimmers have come from or what the swimmers are doing that may be [causing the problem]," he said.

"I'm not sure. I don't want to jump to conclusions because we've got no medical evidence of why this is happening.

"My concern is that I want our team to perform well."

On Tuesday night, Australian swimmer Marieke Guehrer said: "[My time] was a bit slower than last night but I have had Delhi belly for the last 24 hours. I was up for a lot of the night last night. Bad cramps as well."

English swimmer Rebecca Adlington was quoted in the Telegraph as saying: "Most of us girls have got it.

"You don't feel bad in itself, it's just that I can't eat and I'm going to the toilet every couple of minutes, but it could be a lot worse."

Hunter said 8 per cent of the English team's 540-odd members had fallen ill while in Delhi.

it is better to call off the game now. it should not be used as india's propaganda material with the cost of public safety and health.

Delhi pool linked to gastro outbreak - Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games News

It is better to call off the game now. it should not be used as india's propaganda material with the cost of public safety and health.

If there is a problem, I am sure it is being addressed. Historically, westerners fall ill immediately on arriving in the tropical countries. The bodies adjust after a few days.

In the meanwhile, why not call yourself off and save us all the agony of having to read your cr@ppy posts. But I think sending negative posts and spreading hate is a habit you can't change. Right?

we should not respond when some dogs bark..let them bark and we will do our job..

Melbourne: Australian and English swimmers are complaining of illness at the Delhi Commonwealth Games and the reason might be "contaminated" water in the pool.

According to reports in local newspapers here, a "dozen Australian swimmers and two coaches are known to have been struck down by stomach illnesses."

"Fifty English athletes have been confirmed ill, with 40 swimmers from the four British nations affected," the report stated.

Australia's chef de mission Steve Moneghetti said contaminated water in the pool could "possibly" be the reason for the outbreak.

"At this point in time, I would only be speculating, it's a possibility it's where the swimmers have come from and what the swimmers are doing," Moneghetti was quoted as saying in the newspapers here.

"It may be, I'm not sure, I don't want to jump to conclusions because we've got no medical evidence for why this is happening. My concern is I want our team to perform well," he added.

Moneghetti, however, conceded that the pool was being tested everyday.

"They've done tests," Moneghetti said.

"They've tested the water quality and we wouldn't go into the pool without the water quality reports having come through.

"The water quality at the pool, as far as I know, from reports from head coach Leigh Nugent, he said they were happy to compete in it."

Australian team doctor Peter Harcourt said the illness doesn't look food-related because it has been by and large limited to swimmers.

"He doesn't think it is food-related," Moneghetti said.

"It seems more confined to one particular sport, obviously we are all eating in the dining hall. We are all eating the same food but there's very few cases across the board. It seems there are more cases specifically in one sport."

Andrew Lauterstein (50m butterfly) and Hayden Stoeckel (100m backstroke) "are confirmed to have gastro. Both have been quarantined from the team as protocol dictates."

According to the report, Ryan Napoleon, Robert Hurley and Marieke Guehrer have also fallen ill along with Emily Seebohm's swim coach Matt Brown.

High-profile English swimmers Lucy Halsall and Rebecca Adlington are other swimmers reported to be ill.

"We just have to battle on," Halsall said.

"I had the shakes for a while yesterday and had to get warm quickly. I had a piece of bread for dinner last night but I am glad I didn't have anything more because I arrived here today and the toilets were blocked.

"It's disappointing. I spoke to a lot of the Aussies on Thursday and they are feeling like we are. We are struggling on and showing the true British spirit," she said.

London's 'Daily Telegraph' claimed nearly 50 of the 243 England athletes in Delhi are battling Delhi belly and a diarrhoea bug.

England's swimming leader John Atkinson said 20 per cent of the team have been affected by illness.

"There have been swimmers who have come down with short term sickness bugs but we are dealing with everyone in isolated cases. We can manage with that and do our best to get them back in racing," Atkinson said.

CWG: Aus, Eng swimmers complain of sickness - Sports News - IBNLive

May be english & australian athletes could not accommodate with indian food & climate..
many country's athletes participate in swimming competition,If the water is contaminated then all the athletes would fallen ill.

Second tsunami against cwg, WE WILL WITHSTAND.

@MOD: what an inappropriate thread title, shame if it is not changed. pdf for trollers?

If there is a problem, I am sure it is being addressed. Historically, westerners fall ill immediately on arriving in the tropical countries. The bodies adjust after a few days.

In the meanwhile, why not call yourself off and save us all the agony of having to read your cr@ppy posts. But I think sending negative posts and spreading hate is a habit you can't change. Right?

Nice excuse but why only happened in the swimming team?
and also we not talking just one or two individual but nearly an enitre team of australia

there are 71 countries, why only aussies, English complain, what a f.u.king whiners.

they really pushing to the limit.

Nice excuse but why only happened in the swimming team?
and also we not talking just one or two individual but nearly an enitre team of australia

Here any kind of reality will be useless:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall: because in India
THE CROW IS EVER WHITE :azn::rofl:

Here any kind of reality will be useless:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall: because in India
THE CROW IS EVER WHITE :azn::rofl:

Really? I can turn his question around and ask, why only "almost enitre team of australia", why not all the other teams that are participating? That didn't occur to you because it suits your anti-India agenda. No one's listening to you anyway, despite all the initial mud slinging, the games are a success.

Another lame attempt by Westerners to malign India.

Australian swimmers not sick: CWG Village officials

Reacting to reports by an international agency, chief administrator of the Games Village Ashok Kapoor told IANS that the reports were 'baseless'.

'This information is wrong, no Australian athletes and certainly no swimmer is ill,' he said.

A media report Thursday said that more than 50 swimmers from England and Australia had taken ill at the Games Village and the England team had officially sought an assurance over the safety of the swimming pool.

Another senior official from the Village said: 'No illness has been reported, the attendance at the poly-clinic is nil.'

Australian swimmers not sick: CWG Village officials

It is quite obvious that these athletes now have a list of excuses to explain for their rather dismal performance.

Lets keep some jealous nerds aside!
Some westies can't control India's success.
I wonder why only English and Aussies fell ill?
There were many other teams in the swimming competition!

maybe the brits and the aussies are too weak.

NEW Zealand felt the force of India's diplomatic wrath yesterday after a breakfast television host ridiculed the name of Delhi's Chief Minister, Sheila Dikshit, on New Zealand's national broadcaster.

India furious over ridicule of Delhi chief

:woot: :rofl:

They understood it fast. Good. :devil:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom