Country
Pakistan
In a first for Pakistan, Lodhi rings NASDAQ's bell to mark independence day
By APP
Published: August 29, 2015
135SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
946826-nasdaqbellphotomalihalodhi-1440788164-898-640x480.jpg

Pakistan's permanent ambassador to the UN Dr Maleeha Lodhi waves after ringing the opening bell at NASDAQ on Friday. PHOTO: DR MALEEHA LODHI

NEW YORK: Pakistan’s permanent Ambassador to the United Nations Dr Maleeha Lodhi on Friday rang the opening bell at the NASDAQ Stock Exchange in New York to signal the ceremonial start of trading, saying Pakistan’s economy is on the upswing as it pursues liberal economic and investor-friendly policies.

“We are open for business, and we are open to foreign investment,” she told traders and investors, gathered at the impressive ceremony held in NASDAQ’s office in New York’s Time Square to mark 69th year of Pakistan’s establishment.

This is the first time the stock exchange has opened its doors to an ambassador from Pakistan to ring the opening bell to mark its Independence Day.

A video based on a song by Najam Shiraz was screened ahead of the ceremony. The film depicted historic spots across Pakistan and various features of life in the country. The video was also played on the giant screen in Times Square. Pakistan’s national flag was also flashed across the screen.

“It is an honour to represent Pakistan at the NASDAQ opening bell ceremony as part of our Independence Day celebrations from the platform of the Pakistan-American Business Association (PABA) which is doing an excellent job to promote Pakistan-US business ties through private sector cooperation,” Dr Lodhi said before pressing the button to set off the bell.

In a first for Pakistan, Lodhi rings NASAQ's bell to mark independence day - The Express Tribune

In a first for Pakistan, Lodhi rings NASDAQ's bell to mark independence day
NEW YORK: Pakistan’s permanent Ambassador to the United Nations Dr Maleeha Lodhi on Friday rang the opening bell at the NASDAQ Stock Exchange in New York to signal the ceremonial start of trading, saying Pakistan’s economy is on the upswing as it pursues liberal economic and investor-friendly policies.

This is VERY massive for Pakistan. When an ambassador or a dignitary is invited to ring the bell at NYSE, the purpose behind that is to promote that country and her economy.

Today, on ALL large TV's across the Grand Central station and Times Square, etc, Pakistani flags were shown and the ENTIRE New York City saw this as this event was taking place (with a few million outsiders who come in from different states to work inside the city and obviously the tourists). The speech was also televised by Dr. Lodhi where she mentioned Pakistan's open policies for investors and almost a guaranteed return on investments and some serious opportunities, and existing results.

So all in all, the American public saw a growing Pakistan with a positive message to come invest inside Pakistan. I've been writing so much about the need to market Pakistan in civilian clothes, businessman to American businessmen in suits, no military personnel and no anti-American sentiment. The US can do wonders for Pakistan if the same language (civilian to civilian, salesmen to salesmen) can be learned and spoken by Pakistan.

This event is the first of many events, which would result in seriously large investments. This event also highlighted the fact that Pakistan's internal stock markets are among the top return producing systems and that in a few days, there is going to be a standard, integrated Pakistan stock market which is merging all components from Karachi and Lahore stock markets into one. Good progress made by Pakistan :tup:

When they showed flags of Pakistan after the bell rang, hundreds of Pakistanis-Americans who work in the city cheered up. This was probably the first time Pakistan has been shown in such positive way due to the current government's policies on investments and the country's effort to clean up the terrorism mess. People on here, need to help each other project a similar image of Pakistan, and better than how Indians represent India (they do a damn good job at it).

But a great day for Pakistan's publicity as a growing market that the American investors trust on already :enjoy:

@MastanKhan @Oscar : there was a different thread yesterday where posts were written about the need to market Pakistan in a positive way to establish and gain positive reputation. I think this event is a GREAT example!!! The momentum needs to continue, even on this forum.

@Horus @Jango @waz : You guys should keep this thread as a sticky and on the front for a few days. VERY big and positive development for Pakistan and the faith the American markets have put into her. The world reading this forum should see it.

Why? This was simply a celebration, nothing more.

NASDAQ and NYSE aren't political organizations, they are stock markets. This wasn't a meeting on WOT or to discuss delivery of the -16's or Cobras.... This was the first time the entire NYC saw Pakistani flags and this event live on all public display screens in NYC.

New York City gets over 5 million people (workers) a day who commute into the city to work, than it has her own population, and everyone saw this. So this event, in my opinion, was the largest and most critical POSITIVE advertisement Pakistan has ever received in the US.

NASDAQ and NYSE invite leaders from different countries who they wants to form strategic investments ties with. By seeing a Pakistani leader or a representative ringing the bell to the largest stock exchange of the world, the investors immediately know that Pakistan is either on its way up economically, or its about to jump on the economic growth flight.

By having someone represent a country and throw a speech mentioning the openness of Pakistan's economic policies, the millions watching already know the NYSE has done its home work and that the country X (Pakistan in this case), is going to be one of the top investment heavens and the American securities and exchange system (the Street in general, comprising of the NASDAQ and NYSE) want their investors to invest into Pakistan and its cleared. This is not a small thing. In fact, this is one of the most major events this year post the Chinese investments.

Last edited:
This is VERY massive for Pakistan. When an ambassador or a dignitary is invited to ring the bell at NYSE, the purpose behind that is to promote that country and her economy.

Today, on ALL large TV's across the Grand Central station and Times Square, etc, Pakistani flags were shown and the ENTIRE New York City saw this as this event was taking place (with a few million outsiders who come in from different states to work inside the city and obviously the tourists). The speech was also televised by Dr. Lodhi where she mentioned Pakistan's open policies for investors and almost a guaranteed return on investments and some serious opportunities, and existing results.

So all in all, the American public saw a growing Pakistan with a positive message to come invest inside Pakistan. I've been writing so much about the need to market Pakistan in civilian clothes, businessman to American businessmen in suits, no military personnel and no anti-American sentiment. The US can do wonders for Pakistan if the same language (civilian to civilian, salesmen to salesmen) can be learned and spoken by Pakistan.

This event is the first of many events, which would result in seriously large investments. This event also highlighted the fact that Pakistan's internal stock markets are among the top return producing systems and that in a few days, there is going to be a standard, integrated Pakistan stock market which is merging all components from Karachi and Lahore stock markets into one. Good progress made by Pakistan :tup:

When they showed flags of Pakistan after the bell rang, hundreds of Pakistanis-Americans who work in the city cheered up. This was probably the first time Pakistan has been shown in such positive way due to the current government's policies on investments and the country's effort to clean up the terrorism mess. People on here, need to help each other project a similar image of Pakistan, and better than how Indians represent India (they do a damn good job at it).

But a great day for Pakistan's publicity as a growing market that the American investors trust on already :enjoy:

@MastanKhan @Oscar : there was a different thread yesterday where posts were written about the need to market Pakistan in a positive way to establish and gain positive reputation. I think this event is a GREAT example!!! The momentum needs to continue, even on this forum.

NASDAQ and NYSE aren't political organizations, they are stock markets. This wasn't a meeting on WOT or to discuss delivery of the -16's or Cobras.... This was the first time the entire NYC saw Pakistani flags and this event live on all public display screens in NYC.

New York City gets over 5 million people (workers) a day who commute into the city to work, than it has her own population, and everyone saw this. So this event, in my opinion, was the largest and most critical POSITIVE advertisement Pakistan has ever received in the US.

NASDAQ and NYSE invite leaders from different countries who they wants to form strategic investments ties with. By seeing a Pakistani leader or a representative ringing the bell to the largest stock exchange of the world, the investors immediately know that Pakistan is either on its way up economically, or its about to jump on the economic growth flight.

By having someone represent a country and throw a speech mentioning the openness of Pakistan's economic policies, the millions watching already know the NYSE has done its home work and that the country X (Pakistan in this case), is going to be one of the top investment heavens and the American securities and exchange system (the Street in general, comprising of the NASDAQ and NYSE) want their investors to invest into Pakistan and its cleared. This is not a small thing. In fact, this is one of the most major events this year post the Chinese investments.
lets hope if that ''massive for Pakistan'' is changed into something practical then ceremonial gestures.

@Horus @Jango @waz : You guys should keep this thread as a sticky and on the front for a few days. VERY big and positive development for Pakistan and the faith the American markets have put into her. The world reading this forum should see it.

Hahaha.. You are like Riaz, over bloating stuff. Here is Sharukh Khan promoting India, (wait or its some film he was promoting) by ringing the bell at NYSE.

SRK and Kajol are the first Indian movie stars at New York stock exchange NASDAQ - Entertainment

And its a promotional event organized by NASDAQ for money. Everyone has to pay to ring the bell and promote themselves. Its not an invitational event.

NASDAQ MarketSite Events

And please you have no idea about economy or its terms, so please refrain before you make a fool of yourself.

Last edited:
Hahaha.. You are like Riaz, over bloating stuff. Here is Sharukh Khan promoting India, (wait or its some film he was promoting) by ringing the bell at NYSE.
SRK and Kajol are the first Indian movie stars at New York stock exchange NASDAQ - Entertainment
And please you have no idea about economy or its terms, so please refrain before you make a fool of yourself.

Yea, that was a FAILED attempt to make the American investors invest into Bollywood movies like they finance Hollywood movies!!!!

You have experience with economy and its "terms"? LOL, the topic was NASDAQ-NYSE stock markets. Not the economy!!! This is the level of your knowledge!!! The stock market is just one EXTERNAL facing piece of the economy. It by itself can't do shiit if the economy of a country's weak. Go take some courses on economy, securities and exchanges, so you have some knowledge about the topic you are trying to stick your nose in.

If you don't have anything positive to say or any facts, don't waste my time or derail the thread with typical hatred and bullshit. The mods will be immediately called in as this is a VERY critical thread for discussions, not B.S and hate!

Yea, that was a FAILED attempt to make the American investors invest into Bollywood movies like they finance Hollywood movies!!!!

You have experience with economy and its "terms"? LOL, the topic was NASDAQ-NYSE stock markets. Not the economy!!! This is the level of your knowledge!!! The stock market is just one EXTERNAL facing piece of the economy. It by itself can't do shiit if the economy of a country's weak. Go take some courses on economy, securities and exchanges, so you have some knowledge about the topic you are trying to stick your nose in.

If you don't have anything positive to say or any facts, don't waste my time or derail the thread with typical hatred and bullshit. The mods will be immediately called in as this is a VERY critical thread for discussions, not B.S and
hate!

What hate? I don't need degrees ( although I am more than qualified) to call your BS, well BS. But in any case 'Bell Ringing' at NYSE is a marketing event organized by NASDAQ for money. They are not some invitational events that only dignitaries are invited. I could ring it myself if I wanted to waste money.

Regarding the Bold part, that event was financed by Fox Searchlight Pictures to promote their movie, let alone thinking about investing in Bollywood.

What hate? I don't need degrees ( although I am more than qualified) to call your BS, well BS. But in any case 'Bell Ringing' at NYSE is a marketing event organized by NASDAQ for money. They are not some invitational events that only dignitaries are invited. I could ring it myself if I wanted to waste money.

You are more than qualified? Right, your post tells me that. Don't design a strategy for any economy, you'll turn it into Greek within the first month!!!

How about you ring the bell and waste some money?? I'd love to see that happen :tup:. ALL talk like the rest of your Indian friends. NO real content!!!!! Just so you know, a country's representatives like Sharukh and Kajol are considered dignitaries as they represented 1.2 billion people in India. They didn't invite two "individuals" to the event. No need to respond as we are done with this discussion. I'd like a more factual discussion on here, not someone's bad dreams put into posts hating anything about Pakistan.

You are more than qualified? Right, your post tells me that. Don't design a strategy for any economy, you'll turn it into Greek within the first month!!!

How about you ring the bell and waste some money?? I'd love to see that happen :tup:. ALL talk like the rest of your Indian friends. NO real content!!!!! Just so you know, a country's representatives like Sharukh and Kajol are considered dignitaries as they represented 1.2 billion people in India. They didn't invite two "individuals" to the event. No need to respond as we are done with this discussion. I'd like a more factual discussion on here, not someone's bad dreams put into posts hating anything about Pakistan.

This is like talking to a half witted. Its was for promotion of a movie and was financed by "Fox Searchlight Pictures". If you have even an ounce of intelligence, please go through the link and comeback with a reply.

NASDAQ MarketSite Events

Last edited:
NASDAQ is the best platform to promote a country's economy and image. US Pakistan relationship should grow.

Pakistan should play smart like Indians do. It will take some considerable time before our image gets restored but it's a step in the right direction. Never saw Husnain Haqani doing something like that when he was the ambassador. Even if it's paid or not, it was worth it. People of US gets to see the positive image of Pakistan, a country otherwise associated with terrorism and WOT.

And its a promotional event organized by NASDAQ for money. Everyone has to pay to ring the bell and promote themselves. Its not an invitational event.

NASDAQ MarketSite Events

Don't know what's gotten your dhoti in a twist. This is all about image. After the character assassination of Pakistan in the Zardari era, our government is finally taking some steps to improving our image around the world. W

Don't know what's gotten your dhoti in a twist. This is all about image. After the character assassination of Pakistan in the Zardari era, our government is finally taking some steps to improving our image around the world. W

Sorry Dhadi, I am not interested in putting down Pakistan in any way. I only countered him on the fact that it is a self promoting event and not an invitational event. He was gloating without even understanding what it actually is.

And good on Pakistan to do such events to promote itself. Its all about perception in this modern world.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom