What's new

In a first for Pakistan, Lodhi rings NASDAQ's bell to mark independence day

What I pointed out was that NYSE was out of reach for Pakistan, so they went to the cheaper NASDAQ. Then you come with incorrect info that only local companies can be listed on NYSE.

And I've been telling you you are WRONG all along. But you don't want to listen and continue on with your nonsense, wrong and illogical response. Pakistan is a sovereign country, WHY the FUKK would it use NYSE? It has its own Stock markets. That's the purpose.

Its pretty obvious that you've not read sources that I provided to you. NYSE is a LOCAL American stock exchange FOR American companies. If any company wants to trade in NYSE, they have to be global in nature with PHYSICAL presence in the US (meaning an American business, registered and head-quartered or sub-head-quartered out of America).

Remainder of the world, trades through NASDAQ!!! If you don't understand that, then quitting writing silly posts as they are derailing the thread.

There is NOTHING out of reach as you keep saying, Pakistan is NOT a US state so it won't have PHYSICAL presence in the NYSE. So like India, China, France, Germany......Pakistan will ALSO use NASDAQ!!! Here's a reference to outline NYSE's process!!!! Do some research before posting bullshiit every 5 minutes!

"On the NYSE, all trades occur in a physical place, on the trading floor in New York City for local public companies.".

And I've been telling you you are WRONG all along. But you don't want to listen and continue on with your nonsense, wrong and illogical response. Pakistan is a sovereign country, WHY the FUKK would it use NYSE? It has its own Stock markets. That's the purpose.

Its pretty obvious that you've not read sources that I provided to you. NYSE is a LOCAL American stock exchange FOR American companies. If any company wants to trade in NYSE, they have to be global in nature with PHYSICAL presence in the US (meaning an American business, registered and head-quartered or sub-head-quartered out of America).

Remainder of the world, trades through NASDAQ!!! If you don't understand that, then quitting writing silly posts as they are derailing the thread.

There is NOTHING out of reach as you keep saying, Pakistan is NOT a US state so it won't have PHYSICAL presence in the NYSE. So like India, China, France, Germany......Pakistan will ALSO use NASDAQ!!! Here's a reference to outline NYSE's process!!!! Do some research before posting bullshiit every 5 minutes!

"On the NYSE, all trades occur in a physical place, on the trading floor in New York City for local public companies.".

Is Pakistan (a country) listed on NASDAQ ? lol.

Look up American Depository Receipts. Any company from anywhere around the world can get listed on NASDAQ or NYSE with that. There are Indian and Chinese companies. EU companies and companies from many other parts of the world trading on American stock exchanges.

NASDAQ and NYSE both have foreign companies listed on them.

Neither have a single pakistani company listed btw. And I'm not completely sure but I think Pakistani company law restricts companies from trading their securities abroad. That could be a reason. But I'm not completely sure

7.jpg

Here goes the ENTIRE focus of my posts!!!! I am sorry, I was referring to the MODERN history, specially post 1995 where almost every other terrorist somehow links to Pakistan!!!!

How many Americans today do you think remember this? Even if they saw these pictures? Effing 0!!!! What they remember is the crap that has been linked to Pakistan since1995 and ongoing terrorist incidents, with 911 taking place, WOT, issues in Afghanistan and all, and obviously, West's concerns about Pakistani nukes getting into Mullah's hands.

Now that I have given you the context, which I didn't want to write before as it adds negativity to a positive topic I was hoping will remain positive, how do you take Yesterday's New York City and the media across the US, seeing a Pakistani flag in the most positive note that they've ever seen since 1995, with a Civilian rule in place?

What happened yesterday, will be fresh in American minds, and will help create a softer image of Pakistan, IF you and your countrymen, actually continue to work on your image like the Indians have.

Otherwise, the image will go back to the ditch soon and that's it. And you can then post pictures from Yesterday.along with these ones too, without producing ANY real result. Wake up, time to get out of the dreamland of 60-70's!!

A great event indeed that will help Pakistan get a positive platform. Pakistan in the west has a very bad image and such events and speeches will help create a more positive image and also give some confidence to external investors. I am not saying this alone will help but it's a step in the right direction and we need more than a few to really gain an advantage.

Is Pakistan (a country) listed on NASDAQ ? lol.

Look up American Depository Receipts. Any company from anywhere around the world can get listed on NASDAQ or NYSE with that. There are Indian and Chinese companies. EU companies and companies from many other parts of the world trading on American stock exchanges.

NASDAQ and NYSE both have foreign companies listed on them.

Again, stupid effing argument. NASDAQ was DESIGNED for international companies. And OF COURSE, NYSE has foreign companies in it BASED in the US!!!! Again, let me DUMB this shiit down as you aren't getting it (even after five posts and sources), when you register with NYSE, you have to have PHYSICAL presence on the FLOOR in NYSE and the company has an OFFICE in the US for their US business to be considered for that. Otherwise, it's illegal to have a company headquartered out of Paris, France and getting traded out of NYSE.

You think its legal for a Pakistani energy company to work in Pakistan, make money and profits in Pakistan but get listed on Bombay's stock exchange or at the Chinese stock exchange?

Pakistan's stock exchange is ABOUT to go live. This visit from yesterday was due to that, timing is everything. Instead of presenting KSE and the liked individually, they will now be integrated. If you don't have knowledge of what's going on, then you should get into this business.

@Oscar @Jango : guys, could you please go through this poster's posts again and make him stop trolling? He has no idea about his posts but he's derailing the thread, probably because of his political or national affiliations. Thank you

Again, stupid effing argument. NASDAQ was DESIGNED for international companies. And OF COURSE, NYSE has foreign companies in it BASED in the US!!!! Again, let me DUMB this shiit down as you aren't getting it (even after five posts and sources), when you register with NYSE, you have to have PHYSICAL presence on the FLOOR in NYSE and the company has an OFFICE in the US for their US business to be considered for that. Otherwise, it's illegal to have a company headquartered out of Paris, France and getting traded out of NYSE.

You think its legal for a Pakistani energy company to work in Pakistan, make money and profits in Pakistan but get listed on Bombay's stock exchange or at the Chinese stock exchange?

Pakistan's stock exchange is ABOUT to go live. This visit from yesterday was due to that, timing is everything. Instead of presenting KSE and the liked individually, they will now be integrated. If you don't have knowledge of what's going on, then you should get into this business.

@Oscar @Jango : guys, could you please go through this poster's posts again and make him stop trolling? He has no idea about his posts but he's derailing the thread, probably because of his political or national affiliations. Thank you

To answer your question in bold, yes in most cases.

There's companies from all over the world (headquartered NOT in the US) listed on NYSE.

Here's a list of all of them (may not be upto date) :

https://www.nyse.com/publicdocs/nyse/data/All_Non_US_Stocks_12-31-12.pdf

Here goes the ENTIRE focus of my posts!!!! I am sorry, I was referring to the MODERN history, specially post 1995 where almost every other terrorist somehow links to Pakistan!!!!

How many Americans today do you think remember this? Even if they saw these pictures? Effing 0!!!! What they remember is the crap that has been linked to Pakistan since1995 and ongoing terrorist incidents, with 911 taking place, WOT, issues in Afghanistan and all, and obviously, West's concerns about Pakistani nukes getting into Mullah's hands.

Now that I have given you the context, which I didn't want to write before as it adds negativity to a positive topic I was hoping will remain positive, how do you take Yesterday's New York City and the media across the US, seeing a Pakistani flag in the most positive note that they've ever seen since 1995, with a Civilian rule in place?

What happened yesterday, will be fresh in American minds, and will help create a softer image of Pakistan, IF you and your countrymen, actually continue to work on your image like the Indians have.

Otherwise, the image will go back to the ditch soon and that's it. And you can then post pictures from Yesterday.along with these ones too, without producing ANY real result. Wake up, time to get out of the dreamland of 60-70's!!

Isn't there a pakistani consulate in NYC which I'm pretty sure has a flag on it 24/7 ? <<<This is called trolling, not what I was doing earlier. :P

What I pointed out was that NYSE was out of reach for Pakistan, so they went to the cheaper NASDAQ. Then you come with incorrect info that only local companies can be listed on NYSE.

Anyways, let me tell you something you may not know, there's not a single pakistani company listed on either NYSE or NASDAQ.

And also, these opening bell ceremonies are not restricted to companies. Anyone who pays the price (or convince the stock exchange people) can go and ring the bell.

We should still appreciate this positive event because Pakistan through Dr Maleeha Lodhi had the opportunity to briefly speak on the subject of investor-friendly policies initiated by the government and the importance of CPEC. NASDAQ has a market capitalization of $8.5 trillion and is the second largest stock exchange in the world. Thus the ringing of the bells is symbolic and is promoting the business interests of Pakistan to the wider audience who are currently ignorant on the ground realities of Pakistan. Its very disheartening to hear the news that not a single Pakistani company is listed in the NYSE and NASDAQ. In addition, our country with a population of nearly 200 million citizens has no sovereign fund. However things are improving in Pakistan and Nawaz Sharif is a million times better than Zardari.

To answer your question in bold, yes in most cases.

There's companies from all over the world (headquartered NOT in the US) listed on NYSE.

There will ALWAYS be companies in NYSE not headquartered out of the US!!!! But they have offices here that have to register with the US state they are in, and the trading system. No one let's a stranger into their house. Let alone a public company who can cause BILLIONS of damage if the US didn't know who they are, what they actually do and monitor them!!

These posts of yours, CLEARLY show me you have MINUS 100% experience with the trading system of the US (or across the globe)!!! When you register with the NYSE, MANY US laws are IMMEDIATELY applicable on to you, including reporting your numbers to SEC (Securities an Exchange Commission of the United States), in addition to wherever your business started from outside of the US.

I don't need your listing or sources. Unlike you, I know EXACTLY what I am talking about. I have spent a part of my career out of the Wall Street's business district !!!!

Isn't there a pakistani consulate in NYC which I'm pretty sure has a flag on it 24/7 ? <<<This is called trolling, not what I was doing earlier. :P

Yea, in an area with 5000 people who pass by every day to go to work and come back. And you know what majority of the Americans would say after looking at the flag? I don't want to say it as it'll be very derogatory and opposite of the purpose of this thread. Let's leave at that. You can troll elsewhere.

There will ALWAYS be companies in NYSE not headquartered out of the US!!!! But they have offices here that have to register with the US state they are in, and the trading system. No one let's a stranger into their house. Let alone a public company who can cause BILLIONS of damage if the US didn't know who they are, what they actually do and monitor them!!

These posts of yours, CLEARLY show me you have MINUS 100% experience with the trading system of the US (or across the globe)!!! When you register with the NYSE, MANY US laws are IMMEDIATELY applicable on to you, including reporting your numbers to SEC (Securities an Exchange Commission of the United States), in addition to wherever your business started from outside of the US.

I don't need your listing or sources. Unlike you, I know EXACTLY what I am talking about. I have spent a part of my career out of the Wall Street's business district !!!!

There are requirements, yes. SEC requires you to adopt certain accounting standards and publish reports and there's other requirements. But you don't register a company in the USA.

Take a look at how alibaba is structured. It's not registered in the USA as a company. It's a company registered in cayman islands which owns a blah blah blah which leads to indirect ownership of what they have in china. And it's listed on NYSE. Look it up.

By the way, if I ever go to NYC, I'll make sure to drop by at your shawarma stand on wall street. <<<<< I also know how to be rude, you're not the only one.

I call BS on that one....

Rest, okay the got to ring a bell.....But there's lots of work to do which will most likely not be done.

One of the designated jobs of an ambassador is to promote the interests of their country, therefore Dr Maleeha Lodhi during her brief speech must give incentives to investors in promoting the idea that the financial and political governance of Pakistan is stable as an investment destination. Obviously whether the current government has done anything worthwhile, depends upon your perception in what you consider positive and negative. One of the first steps in promoting the business interests of Pakistan is to create a sovereign fund on different sectors, such as energy, infrastructure and pension.

One of the designated jobs of an ambassador is to promote the interests of their country, therefore Dr Maleeha Lodhi during her brief speech must give incentives to investors in promoting the idea that the financial and political governance of Pakistan is stable as an investment destination. Obviously whether the current government has done anything worthwhile, depends upon your perception in what you consider positive and negative. One of the first steps in promoting the business interests of Pakistan is to create a sovereign fund on different sectors, such as energy, infrastructure and pension.

there was no mention of any fund in the article....And if a fund is setup, you know better what happens to anything run by a government.....

there was no mention of any fund in the article....And if a fund is setup, you know better what happens to anything run by a government.....

The article did not articulate the idea of a sovereign fund, however this was my own suggestion to promote the business interests of Pakistan. The sovereign fund should be based in one of the four largest stock exchanges in the world and should be managed by an external team unrelated to the government of Pakistan. For example the government could initiate an energy fund for Pakistan on a specific project first and over time generate capital from investors to build other projects. Private companies with an enough capital as seed investment can also set up funds linked to energy and infrastructure, although it cannot be classified as a sovereign fund.

The article did not articulate the idea of a sovereign fund, however this was my own suggestion to promote the business interests of Pakistan. The sovereign fund should be based in one of the four largest stock exchanges in the world and should be managed by an external team unrelated to the government of Pakistan. For example the government could initiate an energy fund for Pakistan on a specific project first and over time generate capital from investors to build other projects. Private companies with an enough capital as seed investment can also set up funds linked to energy and infrastructure, although it cannot be classified as a sovereign fund.

Or they could simply privatize pakistani stock exchanges and sell them to the big stock exchange companies like ICE or NASDAQ OMX etc. They know how to run stock exchanges. And they'll know how to get publicity in the right places.

Back
Top Bottom