What's new

Idea no.2: Agriculture

Safflower
I just heard this name first time lolz

Safflower production and the oil from the plant is high quality and expensive. He's from food industry, raw materials (food oils, starch etc) to finished food products.
I just Googled and saw the flower yes I have seen it on cooking oil bottles

My dad was one of the those behind the first commercial farming of Strawberries in Pakistan, in Swat, in the 80s.
That is interesting coz almost all strawberries now come from USA . How was it back then?

I just heard this name first time lolz

I just Googled and saw the flower yes I have seen it on cooking oil bottles

That is interesting coz almost all strawberries now come from USA . How was it back then?

Safflower is a very strong plant requiring dry areas. Humidity and over water are it's enemies. Hence Balochistan being suitable. Very good for health oil, and high yield per seed oil too (30%-40% per seed).

As for Strawberry, commercial farming in Swat was started to produce strawberry jam locally. Before only ready made jam was imported which made it very expensive and refrigerated shipping was too expensive to import strawberries. Guess which company started first strawberry jam production in Pakistan. It's in Faisalabad.

Corrupt scum killed agriculture for imports. Middleman makes a killing.

But strawberries are being produced locally near riverbeds in Punjab, albeit small scale.

But strawberries are being produced locally near riverbeds in Punjab, albeit small scale.
The species is imported from USA.
According to PARC there is absolutely zero research done on the local species

Safflower is a very strong plant requiring dry areas. Humidity and over water are it's enemies. Hence Balochistan being suitable. Very good for health oil, and high yield per seed oil too (30%-40% per seed).
Would be a good idea if it would suit the temp

The species is imported from USA

IIRC, the first commercial production seeds in Swat were from Switzerland. Not sure of the species.

According to PARC there is absolutely zero research done on the local species

Maybe because there never really was a local species to begin with.

Would be a good idea if it would suit the temp

Maybe local cultivation should be researched. Safflower oil also has a higher burning temp than olive oil etc.

Maybe because there never really was a local species to begin with.
There are 2 species that are local to Pakistan based on old British seed collections (collected and named during British Raj)

Safflower oil also has a higher burning temp than olive oil etc.
Most of our cooking oils do!

Olive oil cant be used to cook MOST of our dishes lolz!

IIRC, the first commercial production seeds in Swat were from Switzerland. Not sure of the species.
Ahan...I see so European Strawberries...they mostly only have 1 species!

Most of our cooking oils do!

Olive oil cant be used to cook MOST of our dishes lolz

It's higher than sunflower oil and corn oil etc.

There are 2 species that are local to Pakistan based on old British seed collections (collected and named during British Raj)

Interesting. Possibly cheaper to bring seeds from Europe/USA back then instead of waiting for research and modification of local species for farming.

there is still rapeseed oil

Interesting. Possibly cheaper to bring seeds from Europe/USA back then instead of waiting for research and modification of local species for farming.
It is cheaper but in the long run it is not...

You see the strawberry (and any other domesticated crop/ plant) is based on selective farming (selected genes are furthered) and this has made the germplasm limited...Now there is research to use old wild relatives to reintroduce some traits into domesticated crops like resistance

We should try this in Pakistan...can become export product!

It is cheaper but in the long run it is not...

You see the strawberry (and any other domesticated crop/ plant) is based on selective farming (selected genes are furthered) and this has made the germplasm limited...Now there is research to use old wild relatives to reintroduce some traits into domesticated

Corporations tend to take what's available from market instead of research institutions to come up with new.

Corporations tend to take what's available from market instead of research institutions to come up with new.
Yes but with climate change...It is coming to bite! Coz of the limited "genes" in the "selected crop"...these crops cant fight difference form the environment for which it was selected! SO climate change would be drastic for these crops....

Local is always best ;)

@DESERT FIGHTER ko tu open karwain @Dubious he inputs would be more value able last we were talking about some ideas
Fk da hataz maan!

02B94720-CD05-4185-A2BF-C17A79787CD3.jpeg

please check who is stealing it, if its not in use by your land
no one stealing anything
we have multiple lands
i don’t know all the details i don’t live in pak.
all in all some 200 acres
all have water and tubewells

Back
Top Bottom