What's new

Idea no.2: Agriculture

DESERT FIGHTER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hello folks, Im opening this thread for benefit of all farmers,hobbyists and people with general interests in the agri sector.. big or small.

I know next to nothing about agriculture.. although my family owns land, which my uncle manages.

So, last year..I went to the lands.. I was impressed and that woke up interest in me to look into it myself.

I saved and borrowed money to buy around a few acres myself... land was cheap.. but the catch was it wasnt fertile.. it was mostly desert.

Also amazing that people there have even made patches of the land fertile enough to grow mustard,ganwarah,cotton and whatnot (by leveling it and use of electric tubewells).

After some research I came upon the idea of drip irrigation and plantation of citrus fruits in the region.. I approached the local office of Agriculture Department and after alot of hassle I got drip irrigation system on subsidy.. The cost I had to bear was 40% .. which is around 1.5 million (again I had to borrow money).. and have now planted orange,lemons etc on 15 acres.

—-
The ironic part, the machinery was imported somewhat.. ex, the main turbine is from Jaffer 11 co. (However upon closer inspection I came to know that it or part of it was imported from Jain Agri , India) Which is located in Karachi.

The solar panels and pipes are Chinese...

All in all, I myself could have done that without any subsidy under 1.4 million... and would be probably even cheaper If I imported these from china myself!!! (I have to look into this option too).

Anyways.. now Im looking to expand the thing..

The next planting,sowing season is in December next year (I may not be here as il be leaving for my LLMs to UK).

But I discovered another thing..Tunnel farming... vegetables.. which require alot of personal attention..

Another option is Olive farming ... which i wonder could be possible there?

Im also interested in setting up a small farm.. A friend of my father is operating an ostrich farm near Bahawalpur...

@Rafi. @Irfan Baloch @Oscar. @Zibago. @django. @Maler. @Mirza Jatt @Deino. @Chinese-Dragon @RescueRanger @niaz. @ghazi52. @Chak Bamu. @VCheng @waz.

Last edited:
You want to make a killing with the Urban class??
Plant Avacados... give me 5% for the idea.
I agree, its a recent discovery for the millennials and dot.com class that has been to the west or specifically Caribbeans where this fruit comes from. its an awesome fruit.#
our biggest issue is water though

Hello folks, Im opening this thread for benefit of all farmers,hobbyists and people with general interests in the agri sector.. big or small.

I know next to nothing about agriculture.. although my family owns land, which my uncle manages.

So, last year..I went to the lands.. I was impressed and that woke up interest in me to look into it myself.

I saved and borrowed money to buy around a few acres myself... land was cheap.. but the catch was it wasnt fertile.. it was mostly desert.

Also amazing that people there have even made patches of the land fertile enough to grow mustard,ganwarah,cotton and whatnot (by leveling it and use of electric tubewells).

After some research I came upon the idea of drip irrigation and plantation of citrus fruits in the region.. I approached the local office of Agriculture Department and after alot of hassle I got drip irrigation system on subsidy.. The cost I had to bear was 40% .. which is around 1.5 million (again I had to borrow money).. and have now planted orange,lemons etc on 15 acres.

—-
The ironic part, the machinery was imported somewhat.. ex, the main turbine is from Jaffer 11 co. (However upon closer inspection I came to know that it or part of it was imported from Jain Agri , India) Which is located in Karachi.

The solar panels and pipes are Chinese...

All in all, I myself could have done that without any subsidy under 1.4 million... and would be probably even cheaper If I imported these from china myself!!! (I have to look into this option too).

Anyways.. now Im looking to expand the thing..

The next planting,sowing season is in December next year (I may not be here as il be leaving for my LLMs to UK).

But I discovered another thing..Tunnel farming... vegetables.. which require alot of personal attention..

Another option is Olive farming ... which i wonder could be possible there?

Im also interested in setting up a small farm.. I friend of my father is operating an ostrich farm near Bahawalpur...

@Rafi. @Irfan Baloch @Oscar. @Zibago. @django. @Maler. @Mirza Jatt @Deino. @Chinese-Dragon @RescueRanger @niaz. @ghazi52. @Chak Bamu. @VCheng @waz.
water is a challenge. is your land barani or nehri?
the water levels are all time low and keep going down while we let our Sindh river get wasted into Arabian Sea.
you might recall I shared this idea with you few yers back but I was discouraged due to water issues and its a labour or love and the best you expect if you have a farmhouse like me is that it covers its expenses

I agree, its a recent discovery for the millennials and dot.com class that has been to the west or specifically Caribbeans where this fruit comes from. its an awesome fruit.#
our biggest issue is water though

water is a challenge. is your land barani or nehri?
the water levels are all time low and keep going down while we let our Sindh river get wasted into Arabian Sea.
you might recall I shared this idea with you few yers back but I was discouraged due to water issues and its a labour or love and the best you expect if you have a farmhouse like me is that it covers its expenses

A canal is under construction... was approved during Musharaf era..

But as of right now its dry, barani ... hence the solar drip irrigation system.

Im planning to construction a green house/tunnel ... for 1 acre.. as an experiment.. have heard alot and visited a few farms..

Avacardo is a good idea... I wonder if the soil can pick it up... although ppl are planting vegies like tomatos,onions,garlic etc in there... but nobodys farming avacardos...

Even Olives arent there in southern panjab.. the govt is providing subsidies to Potohar region.

Can avocados grow in Pakistan? That will be fantastic and it is quite expensive even here in Sweden
I just googled it... Its being done in Potohar.. and murree...

I wonder if it can be done in DIK/Layyah region.

If it is being grown in potohar and Murree then I don't think it can grow in warmer areas as it grows mostly in Europe a temperate climate. By the way what is DIK? are you missing "C" in it or it means something else?

If it is being grown in potohar and Murree then I don't think it can grow in warmer areas as it grows mostly in Europe a temperate climate. By the way what is DIK? are you missing "C" in it or it means something else?

PARC Has Successfully Grown Avocado In Their Experimental Farms.

They Called It Makhan Phal

There are different kinds of avocados according to the below source.

"Mexican avocados thrive in a Mediterranean climate, while the West Indian and Guatemalan species require humid or high-altitude tropical climates, respectively. The species have varying yields."
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/much-avocado-trees-yield-56000.html

Parts of Balochistan/South Punjab seem to have a mediterranean climate according to this map on Wikipedia (dont quote me on its veracity though, have never been to S.Punab, E. Balochistan).

Koppen_World_Map_C.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_climate

Where is Parc city? I never heard about it before..
Pakistan Agricultural Research Council
http://www.parc.gov.pk/index.php/en/

"Mexican avocados thrive in a Mediterranean climate, while the West Indian and Guatemalan species require humid or high-altitude tropical climates, respectively. The species have varying yields."

Parts of Balochistan/South Punjab seem to have a mediterranean climate according to this map on Wikipedia (dont quote me on its veracity though, have never been to S.Punab, E. Balochistan).

Koppen_World_Map_C.png

Map shows Sindh n Balochistan regions.

Pakistan Agriculture Research Council.They Have Research Facilities in Islamabad
I mailed one of their researchers... im not much hopeful, its a govt department afterall.

Koppen_World_Map_C.png

Map point towards right in middle of south punjab, north sindh and north east Balochistan. Maybe where recently inaugurated kacchi canal was build.

585a2c9e16d73.jpg

Pakistanis only love mangoes province or financial backgroud doesnot matter :D

Back
Top Bottom