What's new

“HavaSOJ” Electronic warfare aircraft project officially commenced

Most of those subjects are not open to public. Those are strategic systems and their operational characteristics, detection/engagement ranges will be kept secret.

Was not asking for specifics, just wanted to know how much improvement it will have over our current DA 20s (if we ever get to procure one down the line).

What about expected unit cost?

Was not asking for specifics, just wanted to know how much improvement it will have over our current DA 20s (if we ever get to procure one down the line).

What about expected unit cost?

upload_2019-3-15_18-39-48.jpeg

That photo was taken while Aselsan introducing Koral Land based radar electronic support/attack system to Air Force for example...

upload_2019-3-15_18-34-45.jpeg

No info revealed for costs yet.

Last edited:
What about expected unit cost ?

The contract for AIR SOJ Project on 4 Aerial Platform was signed by the Undersecretariat for Defence Industries and ASELSAN in 2018

ASELSAN announced that the contract price was 900 million TL ($166 million ) + $ 430 million USD ..... and Bombardier Global 6000 price $60 million

and expected jamming range of 400 km

The AIR SOJ ( HavaSOJ ) system will have superior technological features than the Land based Radar Electronic Support / Electronic Attack (KARA SOJ ) system KORAL

Last edited:
and expected jamming range of 400 km

The AIR SOJ ( HavaSOJ ) system will have superior technological features than the Land based Radar Electronic Support / Electronic Attack (KARA SOJ ) system KORAL
Great for Pak!!! It means one-to-one match for S400 signaling!!! Hence, continue with the current SOP - get into the occupied Kashmir, take out the ground targets, while exiting take out a couple of IAF fighters/choppers etc., and put all "i-Countries" in a shock...

Last edited:
Great for Pak!!! It means one-to-one match for S400 signaling!!! Hence, continue with the current SOP - get into the occupied Kashmir, take out the ground targets, while exiting take out a couple of IAF fighters/choppers etc., and put all "i-Countries" in a shock...

People shouldn't talk about the range, that range what is mentioned is irrelavant. In a stand off distance the jamming capabilities drops how more distance you have to jam. Like the Russians talks about 300km, it will never be able to jam everything in a range of 300km, the same goes for our jammers.

Maybe you can totally block enemies uhf/vhf communications or gps signal, but not radar. Modern AESA radar are not easy to be jammed. If i am not wrong, the power you need to jam double when the distance get bigger, and processing of that signal to.

PAF should look into this jet to replace the Falcons, 24th Sqd, Blinders.
If Pak acquires this to replace Falcons, it would be great bcuz the newest version of SAAB's ERIEYE AWACS(called GlobalEye I think) uses this bombardier jet. This could pave the way in the future for Pak to acquire GlobalEye...having commonality, making it cost effective in terms of maintenance.

Jamming a radar is actually difficult effort to carry out. If it is an AESA that each radar elements on active array tech are connected into a seperate T/R modules to generate effective electromagnetic waves to any direction while the frequnecies to be used are getting hopped per second.

In this electronic war, The mission of HavaSOJ like platforms are difficult indeed but Generally, Those type stand off jammers uses a few effective jamming technics: Deception and Noise. The people who is familiar on working principles of radars will get what I am talking.

In deception jamming, HavaSOJ will copy the enemy radar signals to send back multiple radar signals as if the original pulses are being reflected from an aerial object. The enemy radar will have serious trouble distinguishing original target data returns from generated jamming signals. With thie way, Radar will reach a wrong impression about targets’ altitude, range and bearing datas so It will result enemy radar to be tracked generated signals instead of original one. This technic is efective against PESA radars.

upload_2019-3-16_12-7-22.gif

Main problem of deception jamming is that It requires knowing characteristics, working bandwidth of enemy radar. That’s why signal intelligence become a critical issue in deception jamming technique. Most modern AESA radars have a long operational bandwidth and one that changes working frequencies frequently per second on each pulse generated by seperate modules make it almost impossible for deception jamming.

This is where noise jamming come to play. HavaSOJ will flood a big set of frequency bandwidth with noise. If the level of noise is significantly higher than the returns of enemy radars, Radar will meet difficulty to distinguish own radar returns from background noise. It is not important How many times radar changes its frequency in this technics. The HavaSOJ will cover a large frequency of bandwith to spread noise on enemy radar. Noise jamming requires much higher power output because jamming power will be spread over entire target bandwith.
That’s why Most modern fighter aircrafts have very limited jamming capabilities against modern AESA radars. Fighters operate them for self protection with using mostly deception technics and very limited noise technic. Their output is not enough to use noise jamming effectively to jam entire band. A most modern AESA hopping frequency hundreds times per second can easily find a safe frequency within seconds If It is attempted to jam by a low powered attack from a fighter aircraft but You can not escape, If a HavaSOJ found your radar signals because HavaSOj will jam almost entire bandwidth a radar can work thanks to impressive output power to be spread over entire frequency spectrum. Noise jamming have also different kinds used on different scenarios. Barrage jamming, spot jamming and sweep jammings are the sub-technics used for noise jamming methods.

upload_2019-3-16_12-10-20.jpeg

Last edited:
By the time they are inducted in Turkish airforce in a few years we could see more enemy air forces employing long range RAM jet BVRAAM with home on jamming seekers along with SAMs of same type.

How will HavaSOJ counter such a threat?

By the time they are inducted in Turkish airforce in a few years we could see more enemy air forces employing long range RAM jet BVRAAM with home on jamming seekers along with SAMs of same type.

How will HavaSOJ counter such a threat?

A jammer like that will never face that missile, if you get a lock then i am afraid you airforce is 1 of the dumbest power in the world.

A jammer like that will never face that missile, if you get a lock then i am afraid you airforce is 1 of the dumbest power in the world.

Last time I checked our airforce shot down two aircrafts of the Indian air force two weeks ago. They were backed by erieye for battlespace awareness and DA 20s for EW so I am pretty sure they know their stuff.

The scenario in my query is possible and cannot be neglected.

Back
Top Bottom