What's new

Gulbuddin Hekmatyar: Will the Afghanistan warlord turn out to be Pakistan’s wild card against India?

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting -- I suspect he'll just become as anti-Pakistani as the rest of them

Article here, excerpts below:

Notorious warlord Gulbuddin Hekmatyar is back to centre stage in Afghanistan and could play a pivotal role in the future political arrangement of the country. Hekmatyar is rumoured to be hiding somewhere in Pakistan but with last week’s deal signed between his party the Hezb-i-Islami and the National Unity Government, it will not be long before the butcher of Kabul resurfaces. Hekmatyar, a former Mujahideen leader was a favourite of the Americans when he was fighting the Russians. He was also close to the Pakistani military and virulently anti-Indian. Pakistan is hoping to use the Hekmatyar card against India. Whether it will work remains to be seen.

Whether the expectations are justified is hard to tell. But Gulbuddin Hekmatyar is a shrewd and ambitious politician besides being a ruthless warrior. Some believe he has set his eyes on the presidency and will be playing his cards right. There are reports from Afghanistan quoting a senior Hezb leader that the former warlord will throw his hat in the ring for the 2019 presidential elections.

Interesting -- I suspect he'll just become as anti-Pakistani as the rest of them

Notorious warlord Gulbuddin Hekmatyar is back to centre stage in Afghanistan and could play a pivotal role in the future political arrangement of the country. Hekmatyar is rumoured to be hiding somewhere in Pakistan but with last week’s deal signed between his party the Hezb-i-Islami and the National Unity Government, it will not be long before the butcher of Kabul resurfaces. Hekmatyar, a former Mujahideen leader was a favourite of the Americans when he was fighting the Russians. He was also close to the Pakistani military and virulently anti-Indian. Pakistan is hoping to use the Hekmatyar card against India. Whether it will work remains to be seen.

Whether the expectations are justified is hard to tell. But Gulbuddin Hekmatyar is a shrewd and ambitious politician besides being a ruthless warrior. Some believe he has set his eyes on the presidency and will be playing his cards right. There are reports from Afghanistan quoting a senior Hezb leader that the former warlord will throw his hat in the ring for the 2019 presidential elections.
politicians will sell their mothers to further their ambitions
why would Hekmatyar be any different ?

Think of him as a counter weight Hamid Karzai.
Pakistan is basically throwin a lifeline to Ghani and the US here.

Hekmatyar is a spent up force. Once he goes to afghanistan he will simply become irrelevant. Politics is the art of inviting your foe as friend and sending him to oblivion. Most of the parties in afghanistan get power by having private militias given that hezb-i-islami is on its last legs and a clash against taliban will just wipe it out.

Good..let him unleash his ruthless forces and begin the butchering...Pakistan survival in Afghanistan is directly proportional to the concentration of blood in Kabul river..
Ahhh the classic case of Pakistanis supporting terrorism. Hence the reason Pakistan should be declared a terrorist state.

The very same policies which gave birth to the offshoots of these fanatics which was killing your own children. I wonder, how much more of your brethren will have to die for the blank hatred for India.

Think of him as a counter weight Hamid Karzai.
Pakistan is basically throwin a lifeline to Ghani and the US here.

I am doubtful that the Pakistani people are able to influence the political elite or Afghan people anymore.

That would be a Major win for Afghanistan- and would further weaken Taliban's position-
Not necessarily.
As an insurgent he was nowhere. He was absent from the battlefield for atleast the part 2-3 years.
But as a politican he can be very useful as a counterweight to Hamid Karzai and the anti-Pakistan Panjshiris.

I am doubtful that the Pakistani people are able to influence the political elite or Afghan people anymore.
I would like to disagree here.
As a bigger and more prosperous neighbour Pakistan will always have influence on Afghanistan and on Aghans. Even after the return of all the refugees, Pakistan will still hold many cards to influence the events in Afghanistan.

Good..let him unleash his ruthless forces and begin the butchering...Pakistan survival in Afghanistan is directly proportional to the concentration of blood in Kabul river..

How satanic of you. Not cool.

This is what he has to do if he run for next presidential election . I do share the view what you said that he will become anti-pakistan .For instance what does he want to say here in between the lines "Hekmatyar says wants 2 tell neighbors who invested fr continuation of war in Afghanistan will not succeed 2 achieve inhuman & sinister designs"
This is what he said in Eid message.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily.
As an insurgent he was nowhere. He was absent from the battlefield for atleast the part 2-3 years.
But as a politican he can be very useful as a counterweight to Hamid Karzai and the anti-Pakistan Panjshiris

Which is good as a strong opposition will fully legitimize the Political setup in Kabul and when people see Panjshiris and anti-Panjshiris sitting together in Parliament- It reduces the relevance or the need of anti-Panjshiris with guns aka Taliban- and also delegitimizes their claimed monopoly over non-Panjshiris-

For a democracy to be strong having a strong opposition is very important so that each section is heard- It also acts as a pressure valve as People have options to vote-

Strange views you have. Have some Laban and be cool.

Which is good as a strong opposition will fully legitimize the Political setup in Kabul and when people see Panjshiris and anti-Panjshiris sitting together in Parliament- It reduces the relevance or the need of anti-Panjshiris with guns aka Taliban- and also delegitimizes their claimed monopoly over non-Panjshiris-

For a democracy to be strong having a strong opposition is very important so that each section is heard- It also acts as a pressure valve as People have options to vote-
We will see how it pans out in a couple of years time.
Right now it's a good thing for Pakistan to have more players in Kabul who are not openly anti-Pakistan. And as I said before it somewhat blunts Karzais stunts.
On the battlefield it's the ANA vs the resistance and that is not going to be affected as Hekmatyar was not active there.

Back
Top Bottom