What's new

Gang of Scumbags: LeJ, LeT, JM, TTP, Punjabi Taliban and Al Qaeda

TalibanSwatter

Reaction score
Dawn News

ISLAMABAD: The band of armed terrorists that made its way through the outer security ring of the GHQ complex knew they will not be able to come out alive from the heavily guarded military headquarters.

Caught in a highly tricky hostage situation, the security agencies may take a while in revealing the identities of the attackers or the group they belonged to. But one thing is clear: these were no ‘misguided youngsters’ indoctrinated by fanatics to carry out suicide attacks.

They were highly trained terrorists who excelled in the art of making an impact through their armed attack on a chosen target. If there are similarities they are with last year’s attacks on the police training centre at Manawan, near Lahore, and the attempt to take Sri Lankan cricketers hostage in the Punjab capital.

In both those incidents, groups of highly trained and motivated armed men launched attacks with a view to inflicting heavy damage, take a few hostages, and either die while attempting to do so or escape.

Compared with the ‘suicide attack’ in Pakistani ‘jihadi’ parlance, such terror operations are often referred to as ‘fidayeen attacks’. The description is often reflective of differences in religious beliefs.

A couple of extremist groups believe ‘suicide bombing’ was not as holy as the ‘fidayeen attack’ since in the latter case, the person instead of blowing himself up dies while fighting his adversary. These two strands of Islamic militant movement had become quite obvious at the height of the armed insurgency in Indian-held Kashmir. It is also a preferred method amongst a couple of sectarian militant groups or those involved in Afghanistan, although they also use suicide bombing as one of the tactics against their opponents.

Some of the Pakistan-based pro-Kashmir groups, after being banned or declared terrorist organisations in the post-9/11 scenario, instead of completely winding up their operations or disbanding, either split up or turned against the Pakistani government and the security establishment.

Since then a series of terrorist attacks away from the border region and within Pakistan were the work of these enraged but highly trained militants.

These terror strikes also included a series of organised attacks against the then president and the army chief General Pervez Musharraf, who was accused by the religious extremists of being the main obstacle in the way of what many militants believed was a ‘jihad’. During this period such splinter factions also started regrouping, re-align and reorganise, mainly by finding refuge in places like Waziristan and Malakand. Some parts of southern Punjab also emerged as sanctuaries of such militants and a new nexus was created between Al Qaeda, the Afghan Taliban, and tribal militants in the form of Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan and the so-called Punjabi Taliban.

It was also during this period when one started to hear names of all kinds of groups from Harkatul Mujhaideen al-Alami during 2002 and 2003 to groups like Jamia Hafsa Brigade in the Malakand region. And if a claim made by one of the callers to a private channel holds any weight, a new group calling itself Tehrik-i-Taliban (Amjad Farooqui group) was behind the latest attack. Farooqui was the mastermind of one of the major attacks on Gen Musharraf in Dec 2003 and was later killed in a bloody clash with security forces in Nawabshah.

Factions of Lashkar-i-Jhangvi and Jaish-i-Mohammed have also joined ranks with the Waziristan-based TTP, mainly to use their territory to carry out attacks within Pakistan. They are also the groups who have within them a large number of people who have come to be known as the ‘Punjabi Taliban’, and have direct links with militants in various parts of the country, stretching from Islamabad to Karachi. Many of them are highly trained former ‘jihadis’ from the conflict zones of Kashmir and Afghanistan, often preferring to fight it out rather then blowing themselves up in suicide attacks.

A few cells of such ‘fidayeen’ groups were busted by the military and civilian intelligence agencies in recent weeks in Rawalpindi and Islamabad. But it seems there are still a few active or sleeper cells, determined to carry out attacks at an opportune moment. Perhaps the attack on the GHQ may prove to be a watershed that compels the security and civilian establishment, as well as most of the opposition groups, to realise that the time to distinguish between ‘good’ and ‘bad’ religious militants or Taliban was over, and a consensus was needed to confront all such groups as enemies of the state.

All of them are evil.None of them are freedom fighters whether they're fighting in Kashmir (if they're not Kashmiris)or Pakistan.All of them need to be eliminated.There should be no armed group except Pakistan Army.

Last edited:
All of them are evil.None of them are freedom fighters whether they're fighting in Kashmir or Pakistan.All of them need to be eliminated.There should be no armed group except Pakistan Army.

ahhh music to my ears..!
On a serious note...I agree that there is no room for militias arming up inside a state even if they first appear to be instruments of the state's policies.

All of them are evil.None of them are freedom fighters whether they're fighting in Kashmir or Pakistan.All of them need to be eliminated.There should be no armed group except Pakistan Army.

Right there should no private or religious militia ,but the law also be same for member parlimant having thausand of private armed militant having automatic weapons better than police for and Malik ,Khans,Choudaries,Nawab,Pirs have thir private malitants

We need operation cleanup in whole country.

Right there should no private or religious militia ,but the law also be same for member parlimant having thausand of private armed militant having automatic weapons better than police for and Malik ,Khans,Choudaries,Nawab,Pirs have thir private malitants

We need operation cleanup in whole country.

Agreed.... No such groups should exist. Government has to maintain its writ on all the country.. No ferari camps, no training places, no Dera's... It's time to take action against all these.

All of them are evil.None of them are freedom fighters whether they're fighting in Kashmir (if they're not Kashmiris)or Pakistan.All of them need to be eliminated.There should be no armed group except Pakistan Army.

you Sir , are a legend.
Never in my entire life did i think i would ever hear a Pakistani on this forum say anything that made this much sense.

I had prepared my self for a torrent of accusations and theories on how India Orchestrated and controls all these organizations.

I must say, i Am glad to be proved wrong. in this case:yahoo:

Jaish e Mohammad has extremist views in their ideology and it has element of threats, thats for sure but as LeT is concerned, there is still doubt that it is involved in suspicious activities apart from fighting indian army.

I have always believed that militant Islamic groups such as SSP, Al Quaida, Lashkar Jhangvi etc. mainly of the Deobandi maslak, have no love for Pakistan. They have opposed it from the start. Followers of these groups believe democracy to be ‘Kufr’ and holding or taking part in election un Islamic.

Aim of such Wahabi/Salafin inspired movements is to create a medieval Islamic Emirate in Pakistan. These people believe that their actions guarantee them a place in heaven.
What is better than to earn martyrdom and kill a few unbelievers (Takfiris consider all those who disagree with them as unbelievers) in the bargain?

Main problem is the gullible Pakistani public; which continues to harbour a hidden soft corner for these savages as they claim they are doing it for Islam! Urdu media has an abundance of extreme right wing intellectuals who constantly try to create support for these butchers. A few bigoted ex Generals such as Hamid Gul in addition to naïve politicians such as Imran Khan wittingly or unwittingly provide moral support.

Thankfully slowly public at large is beginning to realize that Islam as interpreted by the Taliban and their supporters bears only superficial resemblance to the peaceful religion revealed to our holy Prophet (PBUH). Sooner we remove this ‘Fitna’ from the Pakistan society the better it would be for all of us.

I have always believed that militant Islamic groups such as SSP, Al Quaida, Lashkar Jhangvi etc. mainly of the Deobandi maslak, have no love for Pakistan. They have opposed it from the start. Followers of these groups believe democracy to be ‘Kufr’ and holding or taking part in election un Islamic.

Aim of such Wahabi/Salafin inspired movements is to create a medieval Islamic Emirate in Pakistan. These people believe that their actions guarantee them a place in heaven.
What is better than to earn martyrdom and kill a few unbelievers (Takfiris consider all those who disagree with them as unbelievers) in the bargain?

Main problem is the gullible Pakistani public; which continues to harbour a hidden soft corner for these savages as they claim they are doing it for Islam! Urdu media has an abundance of extreme right wing intellectuals who constantly try to create support for these butchers. A few bigoted ex Generals such as Hamid Gul in addition to naïve politicians such as Imran Khan wittingly or unwittingly provide moral support.

Thankfully slowly public at large is beginning to realize that Islam as interpreted by the Taliban and their supporters bears only superficial resemblance to the peaceful religion revealed to our holy Prophet (PBUH). Sooner we remove this ‘Fitna’ from the Pakistan society the better it would be for all of us.

Nicely summarized - could'nt have said it better myself.

WHY INDIAN GOVT HAS NOT CONDEMNED ATTACK
THERE IS A CLEAR HAND OF INDIA IN IT

Gang of Scumbags: LeJ, LeT, JM, TTP, Punjabi Taliban and Al Qaeda >> police should lock em all up and Chitrol their asss

there is no good or bad Taliban or good jihadi. they harbor the same ideology. there are people who have soft corner for Afghan taliban because as they claim they do not fight Pakistani forces. but i just want to ask them is the threat only attack on our security forces. arent these taliban share the same brand of ideology with Afghan Taliban. how would the taliban ideology do not flow into Pakistan. and if taliban get power again in Afghanistan what would be our policy. shall me accept them. if yes, how would you not allow that ideology in Pakistan. would we have any moral ground for that. the thing if we want Taliban in Afghanistan then we cannot object them in Pakistan and if we do not like taliban's ideology for Pakistan then i pretty sure their power in Afghanistan would be a threat to Pakistan. besides, as some members on the forums said, we should not allow extremist jihadis on our soil not shall use them as our foreign policy tool. that tool is no more useful. we are living in changed world. Pakistan should clean its society from extremist ideology at whatever cost. madrassas should be reformed. they may not be training grounds but they provide fodder. no militant group shall be allowed on Pakistan soil. and those political parties or religious parties who support them shall be dealt with not by army but through legislation.

I am now confused. Pak people and govt are singing God while ISI they says are strategic assets? So who is lying? Or is ISI also a non state actor now?

LONDON: The attack on the Pakistan Army headquarters has highlighted the threat not just from militants in tribal areas bordering Afghanistan, but from those based in the country’s Punjab province.

Security officials said some of the militants involved in the attack in the city of Rawalpindi, next door to the capital, Islamabad, appeared to have links to Punjab.

The attack came as the army prepared an offensive in South Waziristan, the stronghold of the Tehrik-e-Taliban (TTP), or Pakistani Taliban, in the tribal areas of Pakistan.

‘All roads lead to South Waziristan,’ Interior Minister Rehman Malik said on Saturday, after a week of violence which included an attack on a UN office in Islamabad and a suspected suicide bombing which killed 49 people in Peshawar.

‘Now the government has no other option but to launch an offensive,’ he said.

But even if the military manages to pin down Pakistani Taliban fighters in South Waziristan, the country remains vulnerable to attacks by Punjab-based militants acting either in concert with the TTP or alone.

‘South Punjab has become the hub of jihadism,’ Pakistani analyst Ayesha Siddiqa wrote in a magazine article last month.

‘Yet, somehow, there are still many people in Pakistan who refuse to acknowledge this threat,’ she wrote.

Security officials said a militant arrested after the 22-hour-long attack and hostage-taking at army headquarters was believed be a member of the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, an al-Qaeda-linked Punjab-based group.

Some hostage takers’ phone calls were intercepted and they were speaking Punjabi, another security official said.

Interior Minister Rehman Malik said, however, it was too early to say whether Punjab-based groups were involved.

North West Frontier Province Information Minister Iftikhar Hussain called on Saturday for the elimination of militant bases in Punjab. Even if a South Waziristan offensive was successful militants would still get help from Punjab, he told reporters.

But targeting all the militants at once could create an even more dangerous coalition by driving disparate groups closer together to make common cause with the Pakistani Taliban and al-Qaeda in fighting the state, analysts say.

The army also draws many of its recruits from Punjab, making any efforts to root out militants there all the harder.

‘Deploying the military is not an option. In the Punjab this will create a division within the powerful army because of regional loyalty,’ wrote Siddiqa.

Confronting militant organisations directly could make them more dangerous by driving them underground, and creating splinter groups that would be even harder to control, diplomats and analysts say.

Defence analyst Brian Cloughley said the attack on the army’s headquarters showed how little support militants had in the military and the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).

‘The ISI is hardly going to support militants – even ‘selected’ militants – when it is obvious that main targets are their own people,’ he said. —REUTERS

Defence analyst Brian Cloughley said the attack on the army’s headquarters showed how little support militants had in the military and the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).

‘The ISI is hardly going to support militants – even ‘selected’ militants – when it is obvious that main targets are their own people,’ he said. —REUTERS

ISI is one of the best Intelligence service and if they decide to wipe out terrorism from all over world, they can do it easily.

Back
Top Bottom