What's new

Fall In Love With :: Sukhoi MKI

Personally I think the J10 (and certainly FC20/J10B) will outperform the MKI in a2a and a2g... And with the latest remake the FC20 does have its lovely lines. But looking at SU35 we have seen not all potential yet. I bet the Russian will produce something like silent Eagle but somehow I predict no chance of success for the SEF15 cause 100 million a piece... You need atleast 2 squadrons to handle maintenance... So say 4 billion dollars for a few planes is a bit unrealistic for most airforces.

I think this is Su 30 . It looks Awesome.

It is the Sk... Personally i think that the colours are not nice but I can imagine that someone seing its antional flag will have different opinion. Though the plane is nice we have seen lots of other flankers with a lot more intresting camouflage.

seriously i hated that tri-colour scheme when it first came out its simply burning my eyes and the latest colour scheme on the mki inAERO INDIA 2009 was better but not the best they could have done

later will try to post some interesting and unusual camo on this aircraft

:cheers:

Got any suggestions on how to improve the paintjob on this baby

Attachments

• img00030.jpg
    img00030.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 73

Title Sukhoi Su-30 Flanker in Indian Service
Author(s) Phillip Camp with Simon Watson
Publisher The Aviation Bookshop, UK
Year Aug 2008
Price Rs. 1400.00
Description Softback - 96 Pages - 308 Colour Photos, 26 Patches and five Colour profiles
ISBN 978-0955959707

Review by Krishna J

This is an excellent first book by aviation photographer Simon Watson with whom I am acquainted and co-authored by Phil Camp , Aviation Writer, IAF historian and an aviation Patch collecter. Both are well known in Indian Air Force and the Bharat Rakshak circles from their frequent visits to IAF bases and Aero India. The Photographs in the book are from a variety of sources USAF, RAF, IAF, some by names known to us eg Dave Willis (ex-Aerospace Publishing) and Jagan Pillarisetti, the webmaster of this site.

Simon ,well known to many of us folks , is also the owner of the renowned Aviation Book Shop now re-located in Tunbridge Wells. It is probably the best stocked aviation book shop on the planet and he has always been very generous in helping out Indian enthusiasts.

This was originally planned for release at Indradhanush II in RAF Waddington, as conveyed to me by the authors - however it inevitably got delayed.

The Book traces the development of the Su-30 K and MKI and in particular the service induction in the IAF. It covers the local production details ,Squadron induction and includes potted Squadron histories. It is an excellent photographic record spawning 96 pages. Meticulous detail and effort has gone to present the history in chronological order including rare brochures and pamphlets and all the Sukhoi IAF patches in existence.

There is a good writeup on the engine ,airframe , weapons , avionics and of interest are minor details like the service induction in 2007 of Gimbals giving additional antenna manoeuverability. As expected, classified information on radar characteristics etc not revealed else the authors would probably become persona non-grata at the IAF bases!

The differences between Su-30 K and MKI are articulated and of interest is the coverage of Exercise Indradhanush in RAF Waddington last year.

Where this book scores and is unique are the excellent photos of the Su-30 MKI including many air to air from exercises , the 25 odd pages of close-ups and walk around which will be a delight to all modelers and very informative , closeups of weapons and one page of around 30 squadron patches .

A highly detailed walk-around and under of all the main external parts are shown.

Even the inside covers are utilised to show the excellent colour profiles and there are excellent close-ups of weapons and another whole page of patches.

I would have liked to see a write-up on operational tactics ,Service maintainability of the MKI and training (if permissible and maybe not !!) and some pictures of live firing of R-73 or R-27 - however there are some unpublished pictures from their visits to Lohegaon AF , various exercises and some superb in-flight pictures with various contemporary AF including re-fueling with a Mirage 2000 H etc . Of interest to hardcore enthusiasts will be the close-ups of all the weapons
associated with the MKI - Bombs , Rockets , Cannon and all the various A2A, BVR , A2S missiles and photos showing the process of mounting the missiles on to the wing tip rails .

The book has the following chapters :

Development
Su-30 K enters service
Su-30 MKI enters service
Local Production
Exercise Indradhanush II
Engine and Airframe
Avionics
Weapons and Loads
Colour Scheme
Squadron Histories - 24,20,30,8
The Future
Close Ups
Patches
The printing and the photos on glossy paper with informative captions and a breathtaking cover (think there was a Typhoon flying alongside the original photo) are a delight.

I hope that the authors also bring out a similar work on the Mirage 2000 H in IAF service. In all a great work with excellent rare photos , close-ups and a first of its kind - highly recommended for IAF buffs.

GB

Truly an amazing jet, its truly the pride of India. I hope we get all 300 planned asap. It would be just amazing for the IAF to have so many of these beauties. With almost 200 mrca, a couple hundread lca, and possible mca, upgraded jaguars, MIG21 Bison (which i think it an amazing aircraft), PAKFA, 300 odd MKI's, the IAF would easily be among the best in the world BY 2020 MAX :cheers:

The grey colour scheme looks much better than what IAF had previously. Looks very Kool. :)

I like that blue color scheme of Su 35 in wiki pic.

Grey is definately better than tricolor...

judging from your obssession with the MKI im sure you would waste no time in humping one as soon as you saw one

Back
Top Bottom