Falling reserve, bad loans worrying IMF may not be able to help Bangladesh

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India

Falling reserve, bad loans worrying​

Rehman Sobhan suggests further import curbs

The falling foreign exchange reserves and the ever-rising defaulted loans in the banking sector are very concerning for the economy, and the government should respond fast to avoid a looming crisis, eminent economist Prof Rehman Sobhan said yesterday.
The reserve is falling continuously, and if it continues to fall below $10 billion, the situation will be worrying and the IMF may not be able to help Bangladesh in that case, he said.

"Although I did not believe that the foreign exchange reserve may fall below $30 billion, it has already come down to $18 billion, which was $45 billion previously," said Prof Rehman, also chairman of Centre for Policy Dialogue.
Bangladesh's economy is still better than that of Sri Lanka considering the former's higher remittance and export earnings capacity, but the government should not think that Bangladesh is unlikely to experience such a dire situation, he said.
He was speaking at an event titled "Conversion with Professor Rehman Sobhan" organised by Economic Reporters Forum at its office in the capital.

Given the falling reserve, the government should introduce import restrictions on luxury goods, and set a priority as to what goods can be imported in the current situation, said Prof Rehman, a former member of the advisory council of the caretaker government in 1991.
"Will we bring eggs, food, or BMW cars? I do not see any ban on bringing BMW cars, though the duty is high on the vehicle. Time has come to tighten import restrictions further," he said.
'DANGEROUS TERRITORY'

He also warned against bad loans, saying defaulted loan is a big problem for the banking sector, which began in the 1980s when two financial institutions sanctioned loans without analysing the business viability to create a capitalist society.
Later, the two institutions – Shilpa Bank and Shilpa Rin Sangstha – went bankrupt. Now, the entire banking system is plagued by the problem as banks allow rescheduling progressively, he said.
As a result of non-payments, poor people's money is accumulating in the hands of the rich, he noted.

"It is not only a matter of economic inefficiency; it is also a serious injustice," he said, adding that defaulted loans have already reached a "dangerous territory".
"Defaulted loan is now an in-built practice in the business model," he said, adding that as businesspeople and politicalpeople are out to help each other for mutual benefits, bad loans continue to rise.
FALLING REMITTANCES

The macroeconomic indicators were doing quite well for many years riding on high export earnings and remittance.

However, some indicators felt pressure in recent times as the Russia-Ukraine war escalated fuel and food prices on the international market, said Prof Rehman, also former Director General of Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies.
On the other hand, remittance earnings dropped although a large number of migrants went abroad in recent months.

"It is contradictory," he said, adding that the reason behind this contradiction is that remittance is coming to the country through hundi instead of the official channel.
This process facilitates money laundering, and the potential forex earnings are not adding to the reserve. Instead, they are accumulated outside the country and, subsequently, the local currency gets devalued.
However, unlike many other economists, he does not support the market-based exchange rates to fix this.

"I do not agree with the opinion of market-based exchange rate," he said, citing examples of India and China that did not open their exchange rate.
BAD DEALS FOR POWER

He appreciated the government's move to enhance power generation capacity, but said the distribution channel is still not up to the mark due to the absence of a comprehensive plan.
"Rental power plants were justified for a few years, but their existence for 15 years has created all the problems. The problem lies in the agreements that were made between the government and power suppliers in the private sector," he said.
The profitability was in-built for the private sector and the risk was borne by the government by giving them the assurance of buying power in the name of paying capacity charges, he noted.

As a result, many entrepreneurs with no experience in power generation secured contracts by using their political clout and built power plants, although the distribution system did not receive enough investments.
"The result is the government is paying capacity charges even without using any power," he said.

Bangladesh is gone for dogs. It's another Pakistan in the making. India should start fencing the border strongly and kill anything that moves around the border. We wouldn't want another infestation.

Bangladesh is gone for dogs. It's another Pakistan in the making. India should start fencing the border strongly and kill anything that moves around the border. We wouldn't want another infestation.

At least Pakistan and its citizens realize the problem and act on it. But BD and their cheerleader in PDF are in different horizons altogether.

Falling reserve, bad loans worrying​

Rehman Sobhan suggests further import curbs
- BD imports raw materials and industrial finished goods, Raw material imports cannot be curbed. But, how it is possible to lower the import of finished goods? BD Customs collect taxes and duties on these imports.

- BD depends upon this tax money source because so far it has failed to collect tax from other sources.

- Imports of industrial goods could have been curbed, had our patriotic BAL politicians decided to build factories that produce those industrial goods.

- But instead, BAL went after borrowing money to build a few showcase infrastructures by foreign builders.

- The result is little FER as BD has to pay back the dollars it borrowed. It is now only $18 billion that will more come down in the coming months.

Nobody wants to go to your shithole called India.
I hope so but we have to be ready to kill the termites if they think they can learn pole jumping and jump fences into India. Bangladesh should fence its own wonder land. I have nothing against regular Bangladesh people but termites are not welcome. Thanks.

I hope so but we have to be ready to kill the termites if they think they can learn pole jumping and jump fences into India. Bangladesh should fence its own wonder land. I have nothing against regular Bangladesh people but termites are not welcome. Thanks.
Not all people are pole jumpers. But there are BAL cronies like @xray Papa who may cross the border to take refuge in India fearing their life.

To them India is their fatherland. How can you deny their access? And they will take all their ill gotten money.

Not all people are pole jumpers. But there are BAL cronies like @xray Papa who may cross the border to take refuge in India fearing their life.

To them India is their fatherland. How can you deny their access? And they will take all their ill gotten money.
No pole vaulting for either Jamatis or BAL. Keep your people with you.

No machine operators who defecate in the open and drink cow piss. Keep your street shitters and piss drinkers with you.
Lol. We'll keep to our side. I hope termites keep to themselves as well. Otherwise don't cry after someone gets killed.

Lol. We'll keep to our side. I hope termites keep to themselves as well. Otherwise don't cry after someone gets killed.
Most of the time, illegal cattle traders get killed by BSF. We will notify our BGB so that they kill illegal cattle traders from the Indian side.

You better ask that idiot who comes with defecation in every other post he writes to show pictures of a few public toilets in Dhaka. I found no toilets even in small restaurants there.

But, this imbecile guy finds Dhaka is a Flower of Toilets. It is the same with all other towns. No toilet because there is no law in BD to provide toilets in the eating places and public places. So, some builds and some do not.

But, this idiotic guy keeps on repeating the same defecation. His main intention is to ruin every thread. He is an intellectually backward person needing psychiatric treatment probably in Ranchi of Orissa.

I heard there are proper toilets there. He will be happy there. This guy is unable to contribute because he lacks knowledge on everything important.

Last edited:
I don't know why Indians are jumping in this thread at the prospect of Bangladesh sinking.

The reason why reserves are low is that people remitting money from overseas have stopped doing so through official banking channels.

Remittance workers hate Hasina and are only sending money using Hawala/Hundi. There is plenty of money coming in - economy is doing just fine. Reserve will be back to normal when Hasina is ousted.

Mind your own economy headed to 3% "Hindu rate of growth".

However, still i don't think India is working against BAL! Although the thread is posted by an Indian!

A country like India will always favor it's bootlicker BAL, because only BAL can lease Bangladesh to India as a vassal!

I don't know why Indians are jumping in this thread at the prospect of Bangladesh sinking.
@Bilal9 bhai, korte den na za koruk! Era pranpon amader buihate chacche ze era ar Helen ke support kore na!

Ete oboshsho lav nai. Keu eta trust korbe na!

Yes keep killing as long as your bootlickers are in power!

And after the Indian co.ck sucker dogs step down, Bangladesh will fight back!

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom