What's new

FA-50 and JF-17 are the finalists for Malaysian Air Force's Deal: Korea Times

Yes, strange since they were meant to replace Mig-29s
Not strange at all. Su-30MKM are Frontline fighter although it's readiness is questionable.

Getting a high end trainer with secondard figher capabilities will be wiser choice for budget limited Malaysia.

Tejas will be excellent choice has a fighter trainer .

it's the most capable plane in the entire bid
RMAF will not select Israel radar, sorry to hurt your feeling. :enjoy:
Oh shut up

Its either gonna be the hurjet or the m346
Hurjet is a risky to select since its even not finalised. First prototype will only fly in 2022.

M346 can only be trainer but never a fighter due to lack of afterburner and FBW system.

L-15 is the best choice! Already successful export to ZImbawe.

RMAF will not select Israel radar, sorry to hurt your feeling. :enjoy:

Hurjet is a risky to select since its even not finalised. First prototype will only fly in 2022.

M346 can only be trainer but never a fighter due to lack of afterburner and FBW system.

L-15 is the best choice! Already successful export to ZImbawe.

FA-50 is the most likely pick, it has AIM120 compatibly, can be equipped with US radar. Already popular with other users in the region. And Malaysia has good ties with South Korea.

Second choice would be L-15 imo, if china can give it a small AESA, it will be a very appealing choice.

You know what the funny part is? Malaysia only wanted Trainer aircraft, hence JF-17 wasn’t offered but L-15 was. However Tejas is in the bid. Indians love to call the JF-17 a “glorified trainer”…meanwhile Tejas being put in a bid with all trainer aircraft. While countries that want actual fighters are buying JF-17. The irony.

Sure. Countries that want fighters are buying JF-17, while Tejas is being tossed in a bid with all trainer aircraft. Goes to show the outlook of the two fighters.

Plenty of uninformed or downright retarded posts here so as a Malaysian I will give some insight about the LCA programe

Firstly, the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) programme is meant to replace not 1, not 2, but 4 aircraft, all in one go; Mig-29 (a fighter/interceptor aicraft), Hawk 208 (Light fighter), Hawk 108 (LIFT) abd Aermacchi MB-339CM (intermediate jet trainer). Up to 50 aircraft is planned to be procured (depending on how successful RMAF is in getting Kuwaiti F/A-18C) starting with with 18 aircraft within this 5 years as budgeted in Malaysia's current 5 years plan. Based on the need to replace all 4 planes with one common design, we can already discount L-39 and Tejas as these two couldn't sufficiently fill LIFT role.

Secondly, one of the requirement for the LCA programme is the nation of origin must accept tradeoff as part of the payment, which in Malaysia's context is palm oil. This alone already disqualified Boeing's T-7 as America doesn't deal with tradeoff deall, let alone palm oil.

Thirdly, while the tender didn't actually disqualify both Yak-130 and L-15 as well as JF-17, the fact that 1) CAATSA and 2)China's harassing Malaysia's EEZ on regular basis pretty much kill off any chance of these planes and despite Mahathir trying to picture Malaysia as a "neutral" countries, militarily speaking Malaysia is pretty much Western-aligned and the deteriorating relation between Russia/China and the west will further makes these planes become increasingly unpolular choice

the tendering phase already concluded by Sept. 22 (which was extended by two weeks until Oct.6) dso expect the winner to be announced in around 6 month from now. So far the main candidate is FA-50 and M-346, with FA-50 looking like favorite right now.

I read that and found it strange.
Why PAC didn't even bother to bid?
To make room for Tejas?
Our top brass have a habit of bending over backwards for India, to no avail.

I read that and found it strange.
Why PAC didn't even bother to bid?
To make room for Tejas?
Our top brass have a habit of bending over backwards for India, to no avail.
my only guess is that the Malaysian LCA tender was designed for LIFT category .... not for fighter jets ... therefore after receiving documents they might have decided not to participate

my only guess is that the Malaysian LCA tender was designed for LIFT category .... not for fighter jets ... therefore after receiving documents they might have decided not to participate
We do have JF-17B which fits in that role.

Will you please stop joking....I almost pissed myself laughing.
Seriously you should be on stage. Eddie Murphy and others will be worried about their livelihood

Back
Top Bottom