What's new

Emergency Imposed!

Vote about Emergency Imposed!

• I support it. I am done with CJ, political instability, Benazir.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • I condemn it. Musharraf needs to step down, and elect as a RETIRED General.

Votes: 30 45.5%

• Total voters
(weed) is usa and we should work togather to make USAs role in pakistan as less as we can??????????

Well the biggest supporter of the US (weed as per you) is the Pakistan Army and by keeping them in power you are not going to get rid of the weed. Please read below.

Regards

Lawmakers question US aid to Pakistan - Yahoo! News

Lawmakers question US aid to Pakistan

By ANNE FLAHERTY, Associated Press Writer
55 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte planned to tell Congress on Wednesday that President Pervez Musharraf's crackdown on political opponents has been a major disappointment to the U.S. and a setback to democracy.

Negroponte's remarks, delivered before the House Foreign Affairs Committee, were expected to echo the Bush administration's position in the days since Musharraf declared emergency rule but not include any announcements on changes to U.S. policy.

The administration's public response to the crisis in Pakistan has been mild and measured, out of concern of going too far in rebuking a close anti-war ally. It stands in sharp contrast to how the administration responded when Myanmar's military regime cracked down on pro-democracy protesters in September, for instance.

"President Musharraf needs to roll back these emergency decrees and return to constitutional rule as soon as possible. This should happen in the immediate future," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack told reporters.

The White House, meanwhile, defended its handling of the situation.

"It's been about five days," White House press secretary Dana Perino said. "I grant you that it feels long for all of us who are interested in wanting to get instant reaction. We are trying to get Pakistan back on its path to democracy."

Congress and the Bush administration are taking a second look at U.S. aid to Pakistan in the wake of Musharraf's declaration of emergency rule. Musharraf says his actions, which include suspending his country's constitution and ousting its top judge, were necessary to prevent a takeover by Islamic extremists.

During the hearing Wednesday, Negroponte was not expected to announce the results of the administration's aid review because it was not finished, McCormack said.

The Bush administration is seeking $800 million for Pakistan for the current budget year. Since 2001 the U.S. has provided Pakistan with an estimated $9.6 billion.

A senior member of Musharraf's legal team said Wednesday that the United States is more worried about fighting terrorists than about seeing democracy flourish in his country.

Ahmad Raza Khan Qasuri, an advocate at Pakistan's Supreme Court, also warned the U.S. that "we expect from our friends advice, not dictation. We are a sovereign country."

"Do we ask for a checklist from the United States, 'Why did you go to Iraq? Why did you go to Afghanistan?'" he said at the Middle East Institute. "The United States, instead of dictation, they should give us friendly advice."

Musharraf's actions have drawn widespread criticism in Congress.

Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said he advised Musharraf during a phone call Tuesday to allow elections in January as planned and to restore the rule of law.

"It is clear to me from our conversation that President Musharraf understands the consequences for his country and for relations with the United States if he does not return Pakistan to the path of democracy," Biden said.

Rep. Jane Harman, D-Calif., who recently visited the Middle East, said U.S. military and economic aid should be suspended until Musharraf reverses the crackdown.

"President Musharraf must be told to revoke martial law, release the thousands of Pakistanis imprisoned in recent days, restore freedom of the press, relinquish his military position and proceed with democratic reforms," Harman said.

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., a member of the Foreign Relations Committee, planned to offer a resolution condemning Musharraf's actions.

Rep. John Tierney, D-Mass., said Congress should consider freezing any non-reimbursable aid to Pakistan, such as weapons provided to its military.

Sen. Carl Levin, chairman of the Armed Services Committee, said he is reviewing the 2008 defense authorization bill, under negotiation with the House, along with existing law. The goal is to support counterterrorism efforts so that "we don't in any way undermine the democratic forces in Pakistan," said Levin, D-Mich.

McCormack said the U.S. ambassador to Pakistan, Anne Patterson, met on Tuesday with the head of the Pakistani election commission to reiterate the U.S. view that free and fair elections need to take place as scheduled in January.
___

Associated Press writers Matthew Lee, Jennifer Loven and Foster Klug contributed to this report.

dahemd,

Gardners are very difficult to get these days.

They are all "Horticulture Consultants' and very expensive!

And all talk and no go!

Not talking about politicians.

I had one idiot with a brief case coming to do my garden!

No.

Garden is lovely, so is golf and whoever wrote about retired military can eat his heart out, if he wishes.

What I would like to say is separate your sentences and use paragraphs, Easier to read, Easier to understand, After all, we are not brilliant as you so kindly think we are! :woot:

Quiet general who may succeed Musharraf - Telegraph

Quiet general who may succeed Musharraf

Last Updated: 2:53am GMT 07/11/2007

If General Pervez Musharraf is forced from power, the man who delivers the coup de grace will probably be a quiet, studious general who doubles as the president of the Pakistan Golf Association.

Gen Ashfaq Pervez Kiyani, the deputy chief of the army staff and a skilled amateur golfer, is the favourite to become Pakistan's next president.

Ranking second only to Gen Musharraf, he is the country's most senior military officer. If Gen Musharraf keeps his promise to resign as army chief, Gen Kiyani will almost certainly succeed him.

Quiet general who may succeed Musharraf - Telegraph

Quiet general who may succeed Musharraf

Last Updated: 2:53am GMT 07/11/2007

If General Pervez Musharraf is forced from power, the man who delivers the coup de grace will probably be a quiet, studious general who doubles as the president of the Pakistan Golf Association.

Gen Ashfaq Pervez Kiyani, the deputy chief of the army staff and a skilled amateur golfer, is the favourite to become Pakistan's next president.

Ranking second only to Gen Musharraf, he is the country's most senior military officer. If Gen Musharraf keeps his promise to resign as army chief, Gen Kiyani will almost certainly succeed him.

Always Neutral.

Fine. I agree.

Golf is what runs a country smoothly.

Catching the next flight!

Happy! :)

Handicap is 9!

I have read somewhere from a different forum that Musharraf is stepping down or maybe drop the military uniform.

Could anyone confirm this or have more information?

I have read somewhere from a different forum that Musharraf is stepping down or maybe drop the military uniform.

Could anyone confirm this or have more information?
That's what he had promised that when he's re-elected as Pres, he'll give up the Army uniform.

That's what he had promised that when he's re-elected as Pres, he'll give up the Army uniform.

He is liar how long will you fall into his lies. Say no to dictatorships they destroyed our country you know the details, 1971 our country split, our Quide-Azam Fatima Jinnah was banned from using her brothers Party name Muslim league, Zia traitor murdered a great leader and Musharraf who sold Pakistan to the devil for his wish for power.

Majority of Pakistanis support whatever President Musharraf, Army and the Prime Minister are doing, as their entire period of governing is very clear and all the steps were/are taken in the best interest of Pakistan and Pakistanis. Pakistanis do not see any political leader, who can be so sincere with Pakistan and Pakistanis as army, Mr. Musharraf and Shaukat Aziz. Pakistanis think if this troika will remain in power, Pakistan will grow stronger and stronger. Otherwise, Benazir and Nawaz Sharif corrupted politicians will come in the power with the support of illiterate religious parties leaders. As religious parties leader never come in power, but they can bring again these previous corrupted prime minister and Pakistanis will lose jobs, no school/universities/ hospitals and no development of infrastructures. Let the government control the incapable judges so that Pakistan can flourish, Inshallah.

MaSOOD khan

8 It is good whatever Musharraf is doing. A few months of emergency will turn the system on track.

tabassum

8 I belong to 'silent majority' and have never been provoked enough to react to immature Pakistani electronic media, but the way it has been behaving in the wake of PCO has made me mad with anger and outrage. Most of the programs, presenters and journalists are bias, distorting facts, telling half-truths and inciting political activists to violent disturbance, while a few of them appear to be furious fanatics living in their own self- created fantasy land and I am sure serious people do not take them seriously.

S M A Naqvi

8 I wish to ask the whole nation that what Musharraf did in 1999, in 2002 and now in 2007, hasn’t he crossed the limits just to save his uniform, illegal powers and to secure Zia-ul-Haq’s legacy (PML-Q).

Armitage has called BB as "America's girl' and that the "US should hammer Musharraf.."!

Go figure!

Armitage has called BB as "America's girl' and that the "US should hammer Musharraf.."!

Go figure!

It seems Musharraf was right when he said Armitage threatened Pakistan with "bombing back to stone age"...seems like Armitage the Stud has a pretty interesting vocab when it comes to Pakistan...bomb, hammer...etc. etc. :lol:

BB will always be seen as "installed by the Americans" no matter what happens to Musharraf. She will have an even bigger American footprint than Musharraf.

It seems Musharraf was right when he said Armitage threatened Pakistan with "bombing back to stone age"...seems like Armitage the Stud has a pretty interesting vocab when it comes to Pakistan...bomb, hammer...etc. etc. :lol:

BB will always be seen as "installed by the Americans" no matter what happens to Musharraf. She will have an even bigger American footprint than Musharraf.

its not over yet, inshahallaha, AMERICANS will going to face the ultimate, and a very shamefull defeat, and mushraf will remain in the leading role.:china::pakistan::sniper::usflag:

its not over yet, inshahallaha, AMERICANS will going to face the ultimate, and a very shamefull defeat, and mushraf will remain in the leading role.:china::pakistan::sniper::usflag:

Dear Dahmed0,

Care to explain who is going to defeat USA since Gen M is their best friend ? If the US gets defeated how long will their friend Gen M remain ?

Regards

Go figure!

If I'm not mistaken in past all Indians have labeled Musharaf as dictated by America.
Now you are saying it's other way around and actually US is dead against Musharaf and and it is BB who has all American support?
:cheesy:

BTW, where's the link????????????????????

Batman,

Here is the link:

United States Military News - Military Industry Today
Story Need to hammer Musharraf if he ... to some extent as an American girl’ Washington, November 7: Richard Armitage, former Deputy Secretary . ...
military.einnews.com/unitedstates/ - Similar pages

It is time you take off the chip off your shoulders - Clubbing all who live in India as "Indian thinks". I am sure you appreciate the fact that it makes all sorts to be "Indians" and all can't be swiped with the same brush.

I have always supported Musharaff, whether he does what the US wants or otherwise.

Sure would like to know which side of the fence you are on.

You have been remarkably silently and not to your characteristics except bringing India into the subject without cause. I am sure you could do better than that. It is Pakistan which is the burning issue and it has nothing to do with India or Indians.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom