What's new

East Pakistani Soldiers during Operation Searchlight

Before one critiques Niazi, one has to realise the situation he was in and what were his resources and what was left of it, when the East Bengal Rifles and others revolted.

Again, as I said before, reading battles in isolation does not tell the truth!

But then, that is what is being deleted repeatedly and so I won't venture again.

It is said in hamood ur rehman report tht niazi handed over his "loaded" handgun to aurora................................. if he has some shame he would have shot aurora or himself.

He should have regrouped in burma .. get re-equiped with help frm china and fought for just another week! and by the time ceasefire would have been ordered n east wing would have been saved.

If he regrouped in Burma, they would have bayed for his blood in Pakistan, for running away as a coward into the safe haven of Burma and allowing the Indian army to have a walkover with the Pakistan army not even firing a shot in anger!

And what do you think, Burma is a adjunct of Pakistan that Pakistani troops can come and go as they liked? You think Niazi was a loon to think that it was feasible to move into foreign nations just because he felt like?

China was given the green signal to intervene by the US, but she demurred since her own priorities lay elsewhere!

If he regrouped in Burma, they would have bayed for his blood in Pakistan, for running away as a coward into the safe haven of Burma and allowing the Indian army to have a walkover with the Pakistan army not even firing a shot in anger!

Better than being ill equiped-no ammo......... his forces were scattered without logistics....... he should ordered some of the force to get re supplied in burma ,... n the rest defending dhaka.

And what do you think, Burma is a adjunct of Pakistan that Pakistani troops can come and go as they liked? You think Niazi was a loon to think that it was feasible to move into foreign nations just because he felt like?
No but China had awesome relations with burma and according to HR report they had offered it.
China was given the green signal to intervene by the US, but she demurred since her own priorities lay elsewhere!

China wasnt a power house back than ... it has its limitation or whatever its reasons..

As far as I have read, it was the opposite what you have said. The recently published declassified documents say that China offered USA to mobilize a million or more troops in the China-USSR border if USA is willing to intervene in east Pakistan.

USA thought over it, but then decided not to intervene. USA was worried about the world opinion and the opinion of its own citizens. Moreover, it was not willing to test the nuclear resolve of the USSR.

Today, very few people remember the support USSR, today's Russia, had extended for an independent Bangladesh.

It is said in hamood ur rehman report tht niazi handed over his "loaded" handgun to aurora................................. if he has some shame he would have shot aurora or himself.

He should have regrouped in burma .. get re-equiped with help frm china and fought for just another week! and by the time ceasefire would have been ordered n east wing would have been saved.

Burma would not have allowed the pakistani army to come inside the country and regroup itself. It would have angered the Indians and their new neighbours Bangladesh, not to mention other third parties such as USSR, who borders with China and was a powerhouse at that time. Allowing pakistani army in burma will only cause unnecessary trouble for them:coffee:.

As far as I have read, it was the opposite what you have said. The recently published declassified documents say that China offered USA to mobilize a million or more troops in the China-USSR border if USA is willing to intervene in east Pakistan.

USA thought over it, but then decided not to intervene. USA was worried about the world opinion and the opinion of its own citizens. Moreover, it was not willing to test the nuclear resolve of the USSR.

Today, very few people remember the support USSR, today's Russia, had extended for an independent Bangladesh.

I don't know what you read and if your have read, you could give us the details and the links.

However, here is the recently declassified stuff that CHina has not denied!

The close China-Pakistan relationship was central to Nixon's wish to "tilt" U.S. policy toward Pakistan in part to show Beijing that Washington would support its allies.

Their agreement that China could put pressure on India: " I think we've got to tell [the Chinese] that some movement on their part … toward the Indian border could be very significant." On December 8, Nixon and Kissinger agreed to transfer planes to Pakistan and to tell the Chinese that "if you are ever going to move this is the time." Kissinger noted the danger that may arise "if our bluff is called."

On December 10, Kissinger delicately encourages the Chinese to take action against India guaranteeing U.S. support if the Soviets retaliate: "if the People's Republic were to consider the situation on the Indian subcontinent a threat to security, and if it took measures to protect its security, the US would oppose efforts of others to interfere with the People's Republic."

On December 12, Kissinger tells Nixon that by taking a tough stand with the Soviets he was making a "typical Nixon plan. I mean it's bold… But my view is that if we do nothing there's a certainty of disaster. This way there is a high possibility of one, but at least we're coming off like men." With Beijing's UN ambassador calling for an urgent meeting in New York with White House officials, Kissinger was sure that Beijing was "going to move. No question, they're going to move." If the Chinese intervene, Nixon asked "what do we do if the Soviets move against them? Start lobbing nuclear weapons." Kissinger later answered that "We don't have to lob nuclear weapons. We have to go on alert… We may have to put forces in. We may have to give them bombing assistance." This will provide an "opportunity to clean up Vietnam at that point" by giving an ultimatum to Hanoi and blockading Haiphong harbor.

Even before they realized that Beijing was not going to intervene, the Soviets had assured the White House that the Indians were not going to attack West Pakistan and that they were working with Prime Minister Gandhi on a cease-fire. Ever the courtier, Kissinger praised Nixon for his willingness to confront the Soviets: "What you did this morning Mr. President was a heroic thing." On December 16, Pakistani forces surrendered in East Pakistan and a cease-fire took effect the next day.

Nixon/Kissinger Saw India as "Soviet Stooge" in 1971 South Asia Crisis

I am afraid your spin does not appear credible except it is something that you desire and which has not happened!

I don't think China required the US' permission to do what they did or did not. They were not confronting the US or US interests in anyway, as it is!!

Disinformation is spreading these Grandmother's tale so that when the memories of the event blurs, people start believing in these fairy tales, like China was all set to launch, but waited for US' permission! They don't even take the US permission even now.

good post but Very long post to read. it would be better if some one put gist of this article .

What i wanted to know particularly is how many Bengali officer keep loyal to Pakistan in 1971 and their asaign duties during the operation .

I don't know about regrouping in Burma, unless it is true that China worked a deal with Burma to temporarily allow PA to enter and get resupplied by China. The problem with regrouping in Burma is that means PA troops have to withdraw from their positions giving ground to enemy factions, then again if PA troops were resupplied in Burma they could perhaps withstand longer.

I think instead of sending PA troops into Burma a supply line should have opened up from China-Burma-East Pakistan and instead of PA troops going into Burma supplies from China into Burma could possibly have reached PA troops in East Pakistan.

Nixon should have also been more committed and bypassed international norms and just supply Pakistan with war supplies. Pakistan should have played the Soviet card more.

As for Gen. Niazi, he should have never surrendered continue the fight, I agree with you cease fire would have been declared in days if not weeks.

Though you know W Pakistan should have in the beginning reinforced East Pakistan before war even began more armored divisions, air craft, arms factory, etc. East Pakistan was always comparatively the soft belly of Pakistan.

Any details how China allowed PA into Burma and resupplied it.

Burma, was and is not a part of China and so it would be interesting to know.

If the PA withdrew to Burma, it would mean that without a fight they left East Pakistan to the Indian Army.

Given the terrain in Bangladesh, it is easier to defend than attack.

what about 90 thousand soldiers then............... what our generals in west has done......... don,t put all the onus on single person

It is easy for people to blame on hindsight.

Put yourself in the shoes of Niazi and realise his problems.

The PAF had been blown out of the sky.

The East Pakistan Rifles had rebelled and were fighting against the Pakistani and they knew everything about the Pakistan force, their deployment, their arms, the profile of the COs and their temperament.

The Indian Army was rapidly advancing and the Para Brigade had been paradropped.

No reinforcement from Pakistan.

The Mukti Bahini all over with none knowing who is a Mukti Bahini or a normal civilian.

It was a real difficult time for Niazi!

I am looking at the situation of Niazi totally from a military standpoint and beyond emotions and totally clinically.

How would a cease fire have been ordered .. and by whom ? There is no way Indira Gandhi would have stopped till she got what she wanted .

Re grouped in Burma ? How would he have got there ? Except for the CHT there is no appraoach . The IN had complete control of the sea.

.. and would India and / or Burma allowed it ? It would have got Burma into the war . Why would the Burmese allow Pak troops into the Arakan with Indians in prusuit ?

Niazi was not Slim.

Finally , shooting himself was an option...

The war had three different perspective-

1. From Bangladesh's perspective
2. From Indian Perspective
3. From Pakistan's Perspective

Back
Top Bottom