What's new

Differences between Bengali Hindu and Bengali Muslim

My mum makes rice pudding with this sugary sweet substance gained from ddate tree. It's like this dark brown grainy thick substance kind of not runny like honey, but it's like the honey has been put in the fridge going a little hard.

She also puts cocnuts bits in it
Gur or jaggery

Yes, yes.

My Thakurma was the widely acknowledged world champion (as far as her loyal family was concerned!) in making Payesh, but she knew a huge number of pithas and payeshes. She counted them for my father who had asked her, and it came to a three digit figure.
Today's housewives in BD, even who live in the villages have almost forgotten to prepare varieties of Pitha. Some stupid sent as usual a photograph (he is an expert of photo shopping) telling us how Chitai Pitha looks. I found them look like Puri, not Chitai. Anyway, Dhaka is now full of many machine-made unworthy Pithas sold in the shops. That photo shopper sent such a picture. I ate once a coconut Naru in Dhaka. I felt like vomiting it out.

The last time I ate Patishapta Pitha in a rich Muslim house in Bikrampur. Some of the ingredients are different than they are in my Faridpur. The Bikrampur one was very tasty. However, I do not remember what additional ingredients were there. Bikrampur was basically a cultured Hindu area. No wonder, the tasty Pitha culture was transmitted to Muslims. Bikrampur normal food is also tasty, even its men can cook tasty foods. Sometimes, I eat it in Japan.

87592502_533416947282733_9222029417151737134_n.jpg

This is what "chitol pita" that I have known looks like, don't know if it's the wrong name...

View attachment 640047

This is what "chitol pita" that I have known looks like, don't know if it's the wrong name...
The picture is for VAPA PITHA, it is written over it. Chitai Pitha has two different shapes. One is circular with depth, looks nearly like a Lattu (top). The other shape is long and narrow with a depth, its bottom area is less that the upper part. It almost looks like a vary tiny boat but without a hollow. It is full.

Chitai Pitha is made of rice powder. However, the rice is a special variety. Usually, people eat it in two different ways.

- One is with chicken curry little hot. All season.
- The other is VEJANO PITHA only in winter when date tree juice is available. The juice is slowly boiled for quite a few minutes to vaporize the water. Hot milk is mixed with it. Chitai Pitha is put in this date juice in the evening/night and is eaten in the early morning. It is now soft, sweet, flavorous, cold and extremely tasty.

I have been to many countries and I do not think any country can cook many of our traditional Pithas. Bengalis of west Bengal are different, their women are supposed to cook better ones. Very unfortunate that people now tend to think it is a peasant tradition and therefore be forgotten. Pastry, Pettish, ice cream, this cake that cake, pan cake, pudding and many hundred others cannot match our traditional Pithas.

@Joe Shearer

The picture is for VAPA PITHA, it is written over it. Chitai Pitha has two different shapes. One is circular with depth, looks nearly like a Lattu (top). The other shape is long and narrow with a depth, its bottom area is less that the upper part. It almost looks like a vary tiny boat but without a hollow. It is full.

Chitai Pitha is made of rice powder. However, the rice is a special variety. Usually, people eat it in two different ways.

- One is with chicken curry little hot. All season.
- The other is VEJANO PITHA only in winter when date tree juice is available. The juice is slowly boiled for quite a few minutes to vaporize the water. Hot milk is mixed with it. Chitai Pitha is put in this date juice in the evening/night and is eaten in the early morning. It is now soft, sweet, flavorous, cold and extremely tasty.

I have been to many countries and I do not think any country can cook many of our traditional Pithas. Bengalis of west Bengal are different, their women are supposed to cook better ones. Very unfortunate that people now tend to think it is a peasant tradition and therefore be forgotten. Pastry, Pettish, ice cream, this cake that cake, pan cake, pudding and many hundred others cannot match our traditional Pithas.

@Joe Shearer

Thanks I wasn't sure about the name, I thought the text on it was a mistake, because I've always called it chitol pita :partay:

I don't bother with the names for pita, there's too many of them.

I just eat, knowing names is for those who can cook:enjoy:

images.jpeg

Is this the one you're talking about ?

Last edited:
Thanks I wasn't sure about the name, I thought the text on it was a mistake, because I've always called it chitol pita :partay:

View attachment 640080

No, this is another type of Pitha that I ate many many times but now I cannot recall its name. Is it KULSHI PITHA? I am not sure. I checked internet sources to find out the shapes of Chitai pitha. It shows something that looks like Puri.

To make Chita Pitha you need a 25 cm clay-made round-shaped Khol (not sure about the name), its deep at some five or six places where the liquid rice powder milk is poured. It is placed on a normal deshi Chula and is heated from the bottom. Within a few minutes the Pitha is baked.

Last edited:

View attachment 640080

Wait has these somosa like pastry got minced white coconut meat in it. Also if we are talking about the same thing, when I had it about 2 months ago in bd the filling the coconut was brown as gurr was used.

It was wonderful, the coconut filling was moist and juicy. Nothing like raw coconut meat, after chewing becomes like paper in your mouth making difficult to put it down the hatch.

Wait has these somosa like pastry got minced white coconut meat in it. Also if we are talking about the same thing, when I had it about 2 months ago in bd the filling the coconut was brown as gurr was used.

It was wonderful, the coconut filling was moist and juicy. Nothing like raw coconut meat, after chewing becomes like paper in your mouth making difficult to put it down the hatch.
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

This is another good one.....

Too many names to remember.

Pic isn't very clear when I zoom in, is that suppose to be coconut gur filling?

I don't know for sure, but I have had these sort of pithas and they had coconut grinds with gur/jaggery in them, sometimes date juice (lap) is also in there.

Is that what they are called pithas?

Yeah, these are pithas, they come in different shapes and sizes and have different filings.

They all have distinct names too, for example chitol pita, bhapa pitha, patishapta, jhuri pitha, muthi pita and so on.

There's also the ornate nakshi pita and Bini pitha,
Bini pitha looks like a braid and I presume that's how it gets its name because Bini literally translates to braid, atleast in my dialect anyway.

This page may be of interest to you :

http://en.banglapedia.org/index.php?title=Pitha

Today's housewives in BD, even who live in the villages have almost forgotten to prepare varieties of Pitha. Some stupid sent as usual a photograph (he is an expert of photo shopping) telling us how Chitai Pitha looks. I found them look like Puri, not Chitai. Anyway, Dhaka is now full of many machine-made unworthy Pithas sold in the shops. That photo shopper sent such a picture. I ate once a coconut Naru in Dhaka. I felt like vomiting it out.

The last time I ate Patishapta Pitha in a rich Muslim house in Bikrampur. Some of the ingredients are different than they are in my Faridpur. The Bikrampur one was very tasty. However, I do not remember what additional ingredients were there. Bikrampur was basically a cultured Hindu area. No wonder, the tasty Pitha culture was transmitted to Muslims. Bikrampur normal food is also tasty, even its men can cook tasty foods. Sometimes, I eat it in Japan.
Can confirm. Bikrampur dudes are good cooks. XD
It’s sad how toxic western feminism has infected our society, almost all traditional values and skill one ought to learn are disappearing

Can confirm. Bikrampur dudes are good cooks. XD
It’s sad how toxic western feminism has infected our society, almost all traditional values and skill one ought to learn are disappearing

You're overlooking the actual devil; Bollywood movies.

Bollywood movies are reason for the rise in sexual harassment of women and rape.

Bollywood is also turning good women into brats.

Every poor sod now thinks that all he has to do is ask and the shundori is his, and when the girls refuse they react aggressively.

And and they learn some third rate gundagiri and cheap dialogs from Bollywood, case in point this video :

Lmao funniest bit, he's trying to act intimidating but it's all so wrong lmao.... Look at his posture with the neck craning forward and spine bent at angle... Even a cat wouldn't be afraid :sarcastic:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom