What's new

DG ISI Lt-Gen Nadeem Anjum holds security talks with CIA Director and US NSA in Washington

Pakistan, US hold security talks ahead of FM Bilawal's visit

The combination photo shows DG ISI Lt-Gen Nadeen Anjum (L) and US CIA chief William Burns. —Photo courtesy: DawnNewsTV/Reuters

The combination photo shows DG ISI Lt-Gen Nadeen Anjum (L) and US CIA chief William Burns. —Photo courtesy: DawnNewsTV/Reuters

WASHINGTON: Pakistan and the United States completed their security level talks in Washington on Wednesday, days before a scheduled meeting between their foreign policy chiefs is scheduled to be held in New York.

Inter-Services Intelligence Director-General (DG ISI) Lt-Gen Nadeem Anjum spent three days in Washington this week, meeting senior security officials, including US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan and CIA Director William J. Burns.

Neither side disclosed the details of these meetings, but the talks are believed to have focused on bilateral security concerns and the situation in Afghanistan, as the US believes that Pakistan can help stabilise the war-torn country.

The last security level talks between the two countries were held in July 2021, when then-National Security Advisor Moeed Yusuf met Mr Sullivan at White House. The Pakistani delegation had also included former ISI chief Lt-Gen Faiz Hameed.

Later, Mr Sullivan said in a tweet that their talks focused on ‘regional connectivity and security, and “the urgent need for a reduction in violence in Afghanistan.”

The current ISI chief’s visit followed an unprecedented deterioration in Pakistan-US ties, triggered by former Prime Minister Imran Khan’s claim that Washington conspired with opposition leaders to topple his government.

At a news briefing on Tuesday, US State Department Spokesperson Ned Price rejected Mr. Khan’s claims as speculations and lies, adding that the United States will not let “lies get in the way” of its bilateral ties with Pakistan, a relationship, he stressed, the US values.

“We are not going to let propaganda, misinformation, and disinformation — lies — get in the way of any bilateral relationship we have, including with the bilateral relationship we have with Pakistan, one we value,” he said while responding to a question about Mr. Khan’s claims.

On March 27, days before his ouster, the former PM brandished a letter at a rally in Islamabad, claiming it contained evidence of a “foreign conspiracy” hatched to topple his government.

All three wings of the US administration - the White House, the Pentagon, and the State Department - have rejected the accusations, saying there’s no veracity to them.

During Tuesday’s briefing, Mr. Price was also asked about a call made by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken to Pakistan’s newly appointed Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari last week, during which the US official invited Bilawal to a United Nations food security summit on York in New on May 18.Mr. Price said that Mr Blinken and Mr Bhutto-Zardari also discussed the “ongoing engagement when it comes to our economic ties, trade and investment, climate, energy, health, and education.”

Published in Dawn, May 12th, 2022

our armed forces need to realize that, these r the same Americans who r their own enemy no 1 right now. Even more then India. The damage they have done to them n Pak is far more then India was/is or will ever be capable of doing.

Gullalai Ismail, Hussain Haqqani and countless other are still being sheltered by them!:-)

In 21st century, our relations with them arnt important. Pakistan can live without them!
While the relationship which benefits us are in East not in North America or Europe!

Its not just abt IK, its abt themselves and specially Pakistan!

All you said is true but you also have to look at the benefits that gets you Papa John franchises

How do you know they arent any bases???
We had bases for 12 years and none knew.

Nasirabad airbase in Balochistan is the most likely location.

💵💵🇺🇸
And yet PMIK himself did nothing to stop the air corridor access during his own time in office. :D

It was covered under a valid agreement.

The only option was to not renew it ( expiry was late 2021) . Have you forgotten the last days leading to Taliban takeover, Pakistan explained its position very clearly on ALOC.

They are there to help do something about the economy I'm guessing. They really need to start running the country overtly. Imran Khan is too arrogant, he would rather get revenge than focus on the economy but he always claims a lot of uplifting the poor. The poor will uplift themselves if the economy is strong if they have access to good jobs.

America is too strong, even countries like the UK, and the rest of Europe turn into little puppies when Uncle Sam wants something done. Look at what has happened to Russia when it tried to act like a top dog. So what is Pakistan? Our people have so much pride but if someone throws a bone they will literally jump on a flight to the US. It is a literal no brainer to have great ties with the US, just don't be a US dog but a partner.

Imran Khan has nothing that would threaten the US establishment. They have always known where the real power lies. It is Imran Khan's mistake for going against the very people that brought him up. They clearly told him this is where you lie without our support. He played a good game by becoming a victim of a foreign intervention but what he has done now is more damaging than anything else.

He is good but way too much ego in him. Whatever it is gotta think about uplifting the country as a whole, instead of selfish desires. Imran Khan is one man, and he is not important than the country

After this regime change operation, I dont trust the military top leadership.

The neutrals control everything. My friends used to say it and I oppsed them. I opposed them as I defended our Army. I will still defend army but will not defend military leadership. They have to win back out trust.

He is still here in USA, got here last asunday: Its been a week now …
He has long list of properties and establishments owned by his fellow generals that he needs to visit and collect rent on, needs at least a few weeks.

The neutrals control everything. My friends used to say it and I oppsed them. I opposed them as I defended our Army. I will still defend army but will not defend military leadership. They have to win back out trust.
Understatement of the century.

They are busy fighting with PTI on twitter

Apparently they don’t need your trust. They neither want or need it. They’ve made it clear that they are amreeki mercs.

Incorrect. IMF is an organization that by charter must help its members balance their books when asked, and according to sound financial principles. Joining it as a member is not forced upon anyone, nor is asking for a bailout. Both are choices made by any country. Demonizing the IMF is dishonest. Pakistan has always had the choice to leave the organization and to not ask for bailouts.
The IMF is a loan shark. People who go to loan sharks are stupid, short-sighted, and selfish. That does not take away from the fact that loan sharks are exploitative and evil.

Barray hi sastay hain humaray neutral generals.

Amreeka Bahadur is on track to provide Ukraine a total of $78 billion over the course of a few weeks and our holy cows lay down in prostration over a few billion loan which has to be paid back with interest.

Gunah-e-bay lazzat...

Agar ghulami hi karni hai tu kuch barri qeemat hi lagwa lo...
Rejoinder: Amreeka bahadur's most potent tool of foreign policy IMF has refused to even provide loans to their favorite bhihakaris unless they drop the petrol price bomb the nation...

who gives a crap man
bring anyone who can help the country progress- first be a leader for the Pakistani people
So is this your logic to reject his popularity? He ws holding it together until someone decided to have no confidence.

If they give usa a base in Pakistan they shouldn’t be surprised when we have another bloodier war on terror.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom