What's new

deny wrongdoing a japanese trait? japanese swimmer deny stealing camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

grand

Reaction score
Country
China
at last year's asian games in korea, a korean reporter's camera was stolen. upon reviewing security footage, korean police found tomita, a japanese swimmer, guilty of stealing the camera.

after initially admitting the crime, the swimmer denied any wrongdoing when he went back to japan, claiming he was innocent and was framed by the evil koreans, even with clear evidence against him!

this remind me of japanese denying war crimes committed during ww2. uncanny similarity. is denying wrongdoing a japanese trait?

Japan Today

i thought it was common knowledge that Japan has shame culture, not guilt culture, thus until you can absolutely prove that they are guilty AND shame them for doing it, Japanese will deny deny deny deny deny deny and deny some more.

There is no translation for 愧疚 in Japanese.

Guys calm down!! Just because one Japanese guy (supposedly) did it, doesn't meant the whole nation is a bunch of thieves. Anyways blaming the whole nation doesn't help in anyway!

So one cherry picked isolated incident of a japanese person last year stealing a camera = all modern Japanese people are denying thieves. Very rational and logical way of thinking. kudos to you sir!

OP is an idiot. You just labeled a whole nation as a bunch of thieves.

at last year's asian games in korea, a korean reporter's camera was stolen. upon reviewing security footage, korean police found tomita, a japanese swimmer, guilty of stealing the camera.

after initially admitting the crime, the swimmer denied any wrongdoing when he went back to japan, claiming he was innocent and was framed by the evil koreans, even with clear evidence against him!

this remind me of japanese denying war crimes committed during ww2. uncanny similarity. is denying wrongdoing a japanese trait?

Japan Today

You equated stealing of a camera with war crimes!!

wow..people in this forum never fail to surprise me.

@grand , my friend, it is not really morally right to paint and judge an entire nation based on the (alleged) actions of an individual.

I guess in every cultural domain there happens sporadic incidents that may not reflect the general moral consensus and way of life of the people. it is impossible to paint entire groups with the same brush based on the actions of a few individuals.

I guess this post has no value to appear on this board. At best, it is a news that should appear, if ever, only in Japan's own domestic tabloid media.

I do not even understand why some media would even bother to make news out of this. Is the world devoid of more urgent and consequential developments and it has all come down to this?

So one cherry picked isolated incident of a japanese person last year stealing a camera = all modern Japanese people are denying thieves. Very rational and logical way of thinking. kudos to you sir!

well, being a naturalised Australian, people always say Australian are bunch of robber and thief, there were even a The Simpson episode making fun of the stereotype for it, well, but at least we are actually founded by a bunch of convict whose crime are no more than stealing bread or adultery.

But then someone go and call the whole nation shameful base on one individual incident and one supposedly a TA in a US college claiming the whole Japanese culture is of shameful culture because of one incident, all I can say is lol.

I saw a court notice on a Chinese National on charges of bribery to a Australian Cop, should I say the whole nation of China are bunch of corrupted bribery paying nation?? lol

I wouldnt say it is an act of cowardice. Japanese do not like to admit mistakes because they are samurai warriors. They possess the spirit of Bushido.

They are still acting like the US mistress, it doesn't sound very 'Bushido' here.

@grand , my friend, it is not really morally right to paint and judge an entire nation based on the (alleged) actions of an individual.

I guess in every cultural domain there happens sporadic incidents that may not reflect the general moral consensus and way of life of the people. it is impossible to paint entire groups with the same brush based on the actions of a few individuals.

I guess this post has no value to appear on this board. At best, it is a news that should appear, if ever, only in Japan's own domestic tabloid media.

I do not even understand why some media would even bother to make news out of this. Is the world devoid of more urgent and consequential developments and it has all come down to this?

well i partly agree with you. if this crime happened at a different place and time, it probably woundnt be having such an impact. however this crime happened during a big international event, also the japanese swimmer do representing japan, so it really was a big news.

i maybe out of line by suggesting the whole nation has a tendency to deny wrongdoing. but it is undeniable that a singnificant portion of japanese population cant face up to their war crimes. they deny nanjing massacra, blaming all comfort women as paid prostitute, etc, etc.though there are many kind hearted japanese that are remorseful of their past.

Last edited:
well, being a naturalised Australian, people always say Australian are bunch of robber and thief, there were even a The Simpson episode making fun of the stereotype for it, well, but at least we are actually founded by a bunch of convict whose crime are no more than stealing bread or adultery.

But then someone go and call the whole nation shameful base on one individual incident and one supposedly a TA in a US college claiming the whole Japanese culture is of shameful culture because of one incident, all I can say is lol.

I saw a court notice on a Chinese National on charges of bribery to a Australian Cop, should I say the whole nation of China are bunch of corrupted bribery paying nation?? lol

shame culture, not shameful culture. i suggest reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom