What's new

Defence spending to rise by 15 percent.

As far as Myanmar mig-29 i have read some article in newspaper while back they have bough full set of spares and was able to keep most them operational with indian/russian technical help.

About mig-29 going back to russia may not be fact but I know some russian technicians came to fix some the problems and he they concluded without relacing engine 2-3 migs that are active would not be flight worthy.

As I said earlier,they pointed out their problem and poured money on that.

About the overhauling news,I can confirm it because coincidentally I happened to be at CHT Zahurul Haq air base visiting my cousin at that time.
Besides our migs are overhauled in different locations.For the less sophisticated parts,they are sent to Ukraine,whereas the critical parts like RADAR are sent to Russia.

As for military business:

It surely brings efficiency,but at the same time also corrupts the military high ups.I think Pakistan army also has the same problem.

The more countries pay towards defense the less money goes towards helping the poor. I don't see why so many on this forum are so happy when the defense budget rises..no consideration towards your own poor citizens?

For Bangladesh it was otherwise. Defence was always under funded which needs to be raised to a reasonable level to protect and safeguard 160 million people.

Its still under funded...with around only 2% of gdp.

But isn't that one of the reasons that BD has made huge strides in the last decade? IIRC BD has had about 6 percent growth consistently in the last few years.

But isn't that one of the reasons that BD has made huge strides in the last decade? IIRC BD has had about 6 percent growth consistently in the last few years.

Off course yes...that is why we are different from other countries like Burma,who can spend as much as they like on military.
But when one has aggressive neighbours like that,we need a stronger defence to safeguard our economic interest,i.e. oil and gas.

Off course yes...that is why we are different from other countries like Burma,who can spend as much as they like on military.
But when one has aggressive neighbours like that,we need a stronger defence to safeguard our economic interest,i.e. oil and gas.

Our oil and gas are mainly in the Bay of Bengal areas, so that must be one of the primary reasons navy is being given a priority....

Its not like taking important factors into consideration means others should be overlooked....i believe there should be a balance....a stronger economy will lead to a stronger military in the future, and for the time being we should just be looking to best of what we can get, given out limitations....

Last edited:

Our defence doctrine should focus more on Indian side of the border which will ultimately take our defence to a new height when Myanmar wont be able to even think of attacking us.. ;)

Our defence doctrine should focus more on Indian side of the border which will ultimately take our defence to a new height when Myanmar wont be able to even think of attacking us.. ;)

Burma is a country which has nothing to loose internationally. It has no international goodwill at stake. It is a rogue state. On the other hand , India is a G20 member which can not afford to risk it's international image. Do not compare India with Burma. We live in 2010 and not in the mediaeval time. Bangladesh need to learn from Pakistan's mistakes. Military might comes from strong economical and diplomatic strength. Not from hardware.

Back
Top Bottom