What's new

Currie: CWG could be called off

Status
Not open for further replies.
:yahoo::yahoo:
here here good news

Delhi making progress in fixing problems, Games on: Hooper

NEW DELHI: Delhi authorities have made progress in fixing problems in the Commonwealth Games village and the event is expected to go ahead, the chief executive of the Games federation said on Thursday.

"There has been progress and there is more to do," Mike Hooper said in a telephone interview, adding that there had been a "significant additional resource deployment."

"We're concentrating on fixing the problems. My attitude is that the Games are on. We are working at the highest levels of government," said the number two from the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF).

A different source in the CGF also said that the mood was much better among country delegations following a meeting in the morning between officials and the Delhi government.

"The teams have been buoyed by the action they've seen. There has certainly been action over the last few days."

Many teams have delayed sending their athletes to Delhi because of problems in the unfinished athletes' village, which was described as "seriously compromised" and "******" by the CGF on Tuesday.

The BBC posted photographs on its website, leaked by an unnamed member of a national delegation, that showed the conditions that so shocked officials who recently arrived at the showpiece facility.

One showed a ****** leaking toilet, another a stained and dirty shower and a third a bed with muddy dog paw prints over it.

Others said to have been taken this week showed bathroom sinks full of dust and stained with an unidentifiable reddy-brown liquid, cracked pavements, shattered glass on a balcony, water-logging, stray wiring and rubble.

The October 3-14 event, meant to be a showcase of India's emerging power, has been beset by claims of corruption, shoddy workmanship of venues and delays as well as security fears.

Read more: Delhi making progress in fixing problems, Games on: Hooper - The Times of India Delhi making progress in fixing problems, Games on: Hooper - The Times of India

Pakistan 'concerned' over Commonwealth Games

KARACHI: Pakistan's Olympic chief on Thursday admitted to "concerns" about chaotic preparations for the Commonwealth Games in India, but said plans to send out a security official ahead of time were "normal".

The Games, due to be held in New Delhi from October 3-14, face serious problems after several participating teams delayed their arrival in the Indian capital, checking the facilities and the arrangements for security.

The Games' village - which is due to house 7,000 athletes - is still unfinished, with complaints of improper facilities coupled with security fears in the wake of threats from Islamist groups.

Pakistan Olympic Association (POA) president Arif Hasan admitted there were "concerns" for his contingent but sending a official out for a pre-Games check was "not out of the ordinary."

"Naturally there are concerns, but we have full assurances from the organisers that Pakistani athletes will be taken full care of and sending an official for pre-Games checks is a normal procedure," Hasan said.

The Games will mark Pakistan's first major participation in a sporting event in India since relations between the two nuclear rivals plummeted after Islamist militant attacks on Mumbai left 166 people dead in November 2008.

Hasan said a Pakistani security official would visit India before Pakistani athletes leave for the Indian capital.

"The interior ministry has appointed police official Ahmed Mukkaram to visit New Delhi for normal security and arrangement checks but this has nothing to do with the latest reports (of mismanagement) on the Games," said Hasan.

Pakistan will compete in seven disciplines of the Games and their 75-member contingent will leave for New Delhi on September 29, said Hasan.

"We have briefed the athletes through lectures on 'what to do and what not to do' things and hope that all goes well during the Games," said Hasan.

Pakistan won one gold, three silvers and a bronze medal in the last Games held in Melbourne, Australia four years ago.

Read more: Pakistan 'concerned' over Commonwealth Games - The Times of India Pakistan 'concerned' over Commonwealth Games - The Times of India

Wonder if they have the same security concerns for their own common people. Anyway security is important and they are more than welcome to come and check the security systems.:tup:

Pakistan 'concerned' over Commonwealth Games

KARACHI: Pakistan's Olympic chief on Thursday admitted to "concerns" about chaotic preparations for the Commonwealth Games in India, but said plans to send out a security official ahead of time were "normal".

The Games, due to be held in New Delhi from October 3-14, face serious problems after several participating teams delayed their arrival in the Indian capital, checking the facilities and the arrangements for security.

The Games' village - which is due to house 7,000 athletes - is still unfinished, with complaints of improper facilities coupled with security fears in the wake of threats from Islamist groups.

Pakistan Olympic Association (POA) president Arif Hasan admitted there were "concerns" for his contingent but sending a official out for a pre-Games check was "not out of the ordinary."

"Naturally there are concerns, but we have full assurances from the organisers that Pakistani athletes will be taken full care of and sending an official for pre-Games checks is a normal procedure," Hasan said.

The Games will mark Pakistan's first major participation in a sporting event in India since relations between the two nuclear rivals plummeted after Islamist militant attacks on Mumbai left 166 people dead in November 2008.

Hasan said a Pakistani security official would visit India before Pakistani athletes leave for the Indian capital.

"The interior ministry has appointed police official Ahmed Mukkaram to visit New Delhi for normal security and arrangement checks but this has nothing to do with the latest reports (of mismanagement) on the Games," said Hasan.

Pakistan will compete in seven disciplines of the Games and their 75-member contingent will leave for New Delhi on September 29, said Hasan.

"We have briefed the athletes through lectures on 'what to do and what not to do' things and hope that all goes well during the Games," said Hasan.

Pakistan won one gold, three silvers and a bronze medal in the last Games held in Melbourne, Australia four years ago.

Read more: Pakistan 'concerned' over Commonwealth Games - The Times of India Pakistan 'concerned' over Commonwealth Games - The Times of India

Wonder if they have the same security concerns for their own common people. Anyway security is important and they are more than welcome to come and check the security systems.:tup:

:lol::lol: other countries have also send officials for checking that Scotland yard is even sending force for coping with terrorist attacks during CWGs Delhi so what is the issue here.

Are may be you want to have some facepalm here :azn:

:yahoo::cheers::cheers:let find a seat and waiting for the Big movie to premier, will it a Tragedy or comdey or both?:coffee:

:let find a seat and waiting for the Big movie to premier, will it a Tragedy or comdey or both?:coffee:

So far its a comedy and lets pray it remains a comedy and does not turn into a tragedy

_49213368_composite_sink_toilet.jpg

_49213369_composite_toilet_shower.jpg

_49214024_bed766.jpg

See the rest here
BBC Sport - Commonwealth Games: Athletes' village photos

:lol::lol: other countries have also send officials for checking that Scotland yard is even sending force for coping with terrorist attacks during CWGs Delhi so what is the issue here.

Are may be you want to have some facepalm here :azn:

You are right, however the irony is the "security threat" is primarily from the same country! Anyway as I mentioned there is absolutely nothing wrong in checking the security of the common wealth games at all. Moreover any help that can come from Pakistan is most important when it comes to security.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/cwg-an-appealing-target-for-let-warns-us/131563-2.html?from=tn

I am a patriotic Indian and i want the games to be a success.However i feel that the CWG is a blessing in disguise.After this India will not organize any other big sporting events in the foreseeable future thereby saving thousands of crores which can be used in a much better way.

:eek::eek::eek: oh my my.

If these are images from CWGs village then India really sucks

in other words those who spit there really got the luxury for the first time lolzz so good revenge on their part from the elite

I bet that lunatic Indian official for the CWG who said our standards of cleanliness are different to that of the Westerners must feel really stup!d after seeing these photos......

_49214024_bed766.jpg

I think i heard it on TV that some players have already arrived and are residing in the village.Can anyone clarify this.

I am a patriotic Indian and i want the games to be a success.However i feel that the CWG is a blessing in disguise.After this India will not organize any other big sporting events in the foreseeable future thereby saving thousands of crores which can be used in a much better way.

I feel those who are criticising Indian govt for the fiasco are as much patriotic as you claim to be.

t his wont be in news but the medical staff for the cwg will be only voluntary service not paid ... because of this most of the doctors over there will be interns[technically who are not even doctors now] . they have sent notices to many collages all around India including mine about sending medical staff over there. so what dose a medical collage do ?send their bunch interns , and frankly a house wife has more knowledge about medicine than an intern.. god forbid if any thing happens all hell will break loose ...

I bet that lunatic Indian official for the CWG who said our standards of cleanliness are different to that of the Westerners must feel really stup!d after seeing these photos......

_49214024_bed766.jpg

I feel i think he was having some language barrier because around the world everyone wants a high standard of cleanliness but it depends on their financial status.

However justifying pooing in newly constructed rooms, spitting paan and so on as local standard
:no::no::no:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom