What's new

Constantinople art

The siege was epic,no doubt. One of the most epic sieges in history. But how Sultan Mehmed II conquered Constantinople wasn't "absolutely amazing",considering that he had a huge army of more than 80,000 men (some sources say 150,000 or 300,000)against a force of 8,000 at most,that had to defend the largest city in the world at the time.

He also had big cannons,which were a new weapon back then. He also had thousands of slaves and servants at his disposal.

I will keep Mehmed's quote here though:

"What a city we have given over to plunder and destruction."
It's obvious western historians play it down but the way he moved ships over land was jaw dropping. Especially over enemy territory and in great secrecy, the next morning when the ships are inside across the blockade all hell breaks lose. Amazing..

Guess "The city" on Koine Greek?

I visited Chora church when I was in Istanbul a few years back.
It is just next to the Theodosian walls.
What a masterpiece of the Byzantine art.

Constantinople must have been an awe inspiring city in the old Byzantine era.
Must be a second close to Jerusalem.

Only if there was a time machine and one could be transported back in time ....
Is-tin-Poli (to the City)

It's obvious western historians play it down but the way he moved ships over land was jaw dropping. Especially over enemy territory and in great secrecy, the next morning when the ships are inside across the blockade all hell breaks lose. Amazing..
Relax,you are about to ejaculate.

Western historians don't downplay this event. Like I mentioned earlier,Mehmed II had vast resources and manpower for this campaign. So he had them pull some of the ships across the land and into the Golden Horn Bay. That forced the defenders to remove manpower from elsewhere in order to guard that part of the walls too.

tarih-fatihin-gemileri-karadan-yurutmesi-sehir-efsanesidir-2017-5-30-1-50-46.jpg

Are you done trolling?
Brother, you are a good person.
Dont be so sensitive towards people celebrating the victory of Mehmet over Constantine XI. The empire had just shunken to the limits of the city and even that was left abandoned by the Latins. It was going to fall, if not in 1453 then may be a few years later.

You orthodox have such a rich history which should be a great source of pride and hope. Cherish that.

Peace.

Brother, you are a good person.
Dont be so sensitive towards people celebrating the victory of Mehmet over Constantine XI. The empire had just shunken to the limits of the city and even that was left abandoned by the Latins. It was going to fall, if not in 1453 then may be a few years later.

You orthodox have such a rich history which should be a great source of pride and hope. Cherish that.

Peace.
Most of these guys are Ertugrul fanboys who love the Seljuks and Ottomans more than the Mughal,you know what I mean,right? ;)

Most of these guys are Ertugrul fanboys who love the Seljuks and Ottomans more than the Mughal,you know what I mean,right? ;)
I do. But here we discuss the achievments of Constantine, Justinian , Bellasarius and the other great Byzantine giants as that is more apt 😊

Last edited:
Off-topic posts will be deleted then a thread ban follows.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom