What's new

Constantinople art

Foinikas

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Greece
I thought I'd share some art photos from my collection about Constantinople.

Many pics are from the 1453 siege and others generally depictions of Byzantine Constantinople,showing why it was the largest and most beautiful city of the world during the medieval times.

@_NOBODY_ @PakAlp @RayKalm @BON PLAN @Zarvan @dani92 @Goritoes @Bleek @villageidiot @Philip the Arab @reflecthofgeismar @A.P. Richelieu @Skull and Bones @CallSignMaverick @Faceless @ghazi52 @ThunderCat @Akritas @LeGenD

"Now you may know that those who had never before seen Constantinople looked upon it very earnestly, for they never thought there could be in all the world so rich a city; and they marked the high walls and strong towers that enclosed it round about, and the rich palaces,and mighty churches of which there were so many that no one would have believed it who had not seen it with his eyes-and the height and the length of that city which above all others was sovereign."-Godfrey Villeharduin,The Conquest of Constantinople

1_constantinople_vue_aerienne_002.jpg
1_constantinople_vue_aerienne_2_copie_2.jpg
1_constantinople_vue_aerienne_2_copie_3.jpg
1_constantinople_vue_aerienne_2_copie_4.jpg
CONSTANTINOPLE_4.jpg
1142553-Map_of_Constantinople-Istanbul.jpg
11constantinople.jpg
city.jpg
Bizansist_touchup.jpg
magnoPalazzo_disegno-ricostruttivo1A.jpg
p6.jpg

The Boukoleon Palace

3_boukoleon.jpg

FwcNuR2.jpg

bucoleon-harbor-and-varangian-gds-closeup-2.jpg

The Theodosian Walls

FALL_5_TEIXI.jpg

Cross-section of walls of Theodosius at time of siege.png
th.jpg

271169485c5420e32b6c3a5ffb4b8cb3.jpg

sur_a.jpg

v_constantinople_murs3.jpg

Byzantines defend Constantinople against the Persians

11218221_1608397539429051_3064677658665196663_n.jpg

Rus' prince Oleg nails his shield on the gates of Constantinople

6633307.jpg

The court of Emperor Alexius I Comnenus and the Crusaders

cebf-ceb1cebbceadcebeceb9cebfcf82-ceac-cebacebfcebccebdceb7cebdcf8ccf82-cf85cf80cebfceb4ceadcf...jpg

Various

a0fad4a0c475859c328bf93e90d32862.jpg

4f0a34415df4fdbf82c8b3bfa4245cc8.jpg

de6478719b77ca6ab01d5c6a99c9459c.jpg

a827e1fbcbeb3db9bc489cad11e2a9d5.jpg

38b35485580ecbf8f5102193e6dc3526.jpg

de1cbe1a4361b56785bc9be45b8d9a2a.jpg

Crusaders besieging Constantinople

fd24699fe42d3f44f480311043563c18.jpg

260e0c53fd600326eda6206f_rw_1200.jpg

detectivebooks.ru.jpg

muraille_b_copie_copie.jpg

"Thus isolated and abandoned by his allies, Raynald decided that abject submission was his only hope. He appeared dressed in a sack with a rope tied around his neck, and begged for forgiveness. Manuel at first ignored the prostrate Raynald, chatting with his courtiers;"

852344c5ed27f6d2907f772c1141bbac.jpg

The Catalan Company enters Constantinople

11Desperta_Ferro_by_BlackWolf_Studio.jpg

Last edited:
Couple of weeks back I saw some Greek artifacts and coins came up for auction in an online auction house I regularly visit.

This was conquered by the Sultanat-e-Usmania aka Ottomans?

The old Constantinople is basically the Sultan Mehmet district of Istanbul now. A must-see for all who love history. I reckon many Pakistanis on their transit stop definitely visit the sites of Hagia Sophia, Hippodrome, Blue Mosque, Old Bazar, Topkapi Palace, Galata Tower, Bhosphorus, Hisar Fort, and many many other sites.

The old Constantinople is basically the Sultan Mehmet district of Istanbul now. A must-see for all who love history. I reckon many Pakistanis on their transit stop definitely visit the sites of Hagia Sophia, Hippodrome, Blue Mosque, Old Bazar, Topkapi Palace, Galata Tower, Bhosphorus, Hisar Fort, and many many other sites.
Hagia sophia has its own vibe and uniqueness, Had the pleasure of visiting it once, plan on going there this winter again, will visit all the above u mentioned, couldn't visit those places last time my trip was cut short but this time i will have a good 2 months!

It's basically downtown modern Istanbul. Hard to imagine. The entire area is now one massive city.

Please change the title to reflect the reality. It should read Istanbul.

I thought I'd share some art photos from my collection about Constantinople.

Many pics are from the 1453 siege and others generally depictions of Byzantine Constantinople,showing why it was the largest and most beautiful city of the world during the medieval times.

No doubt.

I once told you about a Croatian troll I encountered on Quora who insulted Pakistanis.

I questioned weather he was an Afghani troll living in Constantinople. His reply was that he lived in Istanbul and it is a far greater city than Constantinople ever could be.

In the documentary movie "The Rise of Empires" how Sultan conqured Constantinople is absolutely amazing. Had the roles reversed every other movie by Hollywood would be on this historical battle.

In the documentary movie "The Rise of Empires" how Sultan conqured Constantinople is absolutely amazing. Had the roles reversed every other movie by Hollywood would be on this historical battle.
The siege was epic,no doubt. One of the most epic sieges in history. But how Sultan Mehmed II conquered Constantinople wasn't "absolutely amazing",considering that he had a huge army of more than 80,000 men (some sources say 150,000 or 300,000)against a force of 8,000 at most,that had to defend the largest city in the world at the time.

He also had big cannons,which were a new weapon back then. He also had thousands of slaves and servants at his disposal.

I will keep Mehmed's quote here though:

"What a city we have given over to plunder and destruction."

Do you know the origin of the word "Istanbul"?
Guess "The city" in Koine Greek?

I visited the Chora church when I was in Istanbul a few years back. It is lies just next to the Theodosian walls. What a masterpiece of the Byzantine art it is.

Constantinople must have been an awe inspiring city in the old Byzantine era. A close second to Jerusalem in terms of history.

Only if there was a time machine and one could be transported back in time ....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom