What's new

Conflict in Mindanao/Philippines

@Wholegrain

You know calling one mestizo but not of White and Native Indian ancestry are considered a racial slur?

That's the same as calling a Mexican Chicano while he is not of White and Mexican Native, that literally translated to bastard or mixture of race)

I don't believe Aquino is of white and native Indian ancestry

Can you delete the word as this is quite disrespecting indeed

The Racial Slur Database

@Wholegrain

Please avoid racial slurs. Thanks.

@Mighty Caty

Personal question; any idea when your husband @jhungary will return to the forum? Thanks.

It really isn't a racial slur, "mestizo" is really used in a neutral sense to refer to mix raced Chinese-Filipinos or Spanish-Filipinos.

In the Americas it might be different, but its not a slur in the Philippines.

It really isn't a racial slur, "mestizo" is really used in a neutral sense to refer to mix raced Chinese-Filipinos or Spanish-Filipinos.

In the Americas it might be different, but its not a slur in the Philippines.

Well, when this forum is limited to Philippine, Chinese and Spanish people, then you may say this is not a slur and use it at will.

But it is indeed a slur for other people, and they are watching too. Remember this is an international forum not just a Philippine, Chinese and Spanish forum, and I did not made up the racial slur database.......

I'm not sure that "mestizo" is a racial slur?

Mestizo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Filipino mestizo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems pretty neutral. It is just a Spanish word meaning "mixed race", and they self-identify using this word all the time.

have you see the racial slur entry??

Specifically, Spanish/Native American mixed breed. Not polite, but not taboo either. From the Spanish word for "mixed".

as I said, it's fine if the person you are refer to is of White and Native American origin. especialy if the speaker is of one. It's more like the word (Nigg.r) It widely does not consider a slur when 2 black man talking to each other referring themselves as that, but it would become an instant slur when either a non-black person refer to a black person "X-word) or a black refer to a non-black as "N-word"

Another word of the same category is "White-trash" ,"Trailer Trash", Yokel and something along the line like that

You did not find it abusing/offensive most likely because you don't know about South American culture, calling other people Liar and Bastard may be alright in any part of the world, but calling a South American that is a good way to get killed.

And again, I did not put that entry in Racial Slur database.

Last edited:
Kidnapping, a Philippines pastime | NBC News

MANILA, Philippines, June 19 — Kidnapping and ransom-taking have become a way of life in the Philippines. And even though a group of independence-seeking Muslim rebels has captured headlines by taking dozens of prisoners, the goal of hostage-takers is often less ideological than financial. In a society where the gap between rich and poor is as daunting to bridge as the waters that separate the Philippine archipelago of some 7,000 islands, kidnapping has been part of the local culture for decades.

NO MORE LOFTY IDEALS

Even the Abu Sayyaf leaders themselves no longer proclaim lofty political ideals, as they had since surfacing as a serious threat in 1995. Instead, they have concentrated their efforts on million-dollar ransom demands.

In last year’s Malaysian attack, for instance, the Muslim rebels held nearly two dozen mostly European hostages for several months, until Manila caved in and allowed Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi — himself accused of complicity in several international terror attacks — to provide at least several million dollars of ransom money. In return, he made an invaluable appearance on the world stage as a freedom-winner. All but one Filipino hostage were released.

Christian Filipino police and army history of preying on Chinese, or "shitting" as Lux De veritas calls it

Philippine sources say that during the rule of former president Estrada, kidnappings of rich Chinese-Filipino businessmen flourished in Manila and led to millions of dollars in ransom payments to several bandit groups.

Abu Sayyaf is pathetic compared to what the Filipino army and police like to do to their Chinese community

Kidnapping of Ethnic Chinese Rises in Philippines - New York Times

Chinese-Filipinos Protest Ransom Kidnappings - New York Times

In Manila, Kidnapping as a Business Expense - New York Times

Kidnap season has Chinese on edge - Chicago Tribune

Crime against foreigners in the Philippines |

Chinese big business in the Philippines: political leadership and change - Theresa C. Cariño - Google Books

Annual Editions: Violence and Terrorism 03/04 - Thomas J. Badey - Google Books

Beijing Review - Google Books

Vengeful majorities

AMY CHUA

Review: World on Fire by Amy Chua | Books | The Guardian

Conversation with Amy Chua, p. 2 of 6

State and Society in the Philippines - Patricio N. Abinales, Donna J. Amoroso - Google Books

Encyclopedia of Crime and Punishment - Google Books

The Philippines: A Singular and a Plural Place - David Joel Steinberg - Google Books

Inhuman Conditions: On Cosmopolitanism and Human Rights - Pheng CHEAH, Pheng Cheah - Google Books

http://books.google.com/books?id=cVkSYhplwGEC&pg=PA136&dq=When a graduate student from the University of the Philippines was asked if she was disturbed by the spate of kidnappings, she replied, "No, because I am not Chinese and I am not rich."11 But is this identification of the cosmopolitanism of the ...&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_idMU6vALOnNsQTvnIHoAQ&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA

Chinese cosmopolitanism in two senses and postcolonial national memory - Pheng Cheah - Google Books

The Likhaan Book of Philippine Criticism, 1992-1997 - J. Neil C. Garcia - Google Books

Figures of Criminality in Indonesia, the Philippines, and Colonial Vietnam - Google Books

Figures of Criminality in Indonesia, the Philippines, and Colonial Vietnam - Google Books

Unveiling Traditions: Postcolonial Islam in a Polycentric World - Anouar Majid - Google Books

Narrating Race: Asia, (trans)nationalism, Social Change - Google Books

Culture and Privilege in Capitalist Asia - Google Books

Annual Editions: Violence and Terrorism 03/04 - Thomas J. Badey - Google Books

Moro National Liberation Front, Moro Islamic Liberation Front and Abu Sayyaf are all different groups who have clashed against each other at various times.

MNLF led rescue operations for hostages against Abu Sayyaf.

Well, when this forum is limited to Philippine, Chinese and Spanish people, then you may say this is not a slur and use it at will.

But it is indeed a slur for other people, and they are watching too. Remember this is an international forum not just a Philippine, Chinese and Spanish forum, and I did not made up the racial slur database.......

have you see the racial slur entry??

as I said, it's fine if the person you are refer to is of White and Native American origin. especialy if the speaker is of one. It's more like the word (Nigg.r) It widely does not consider a slur when 2 black man talking to each other referring themselves as that, but it would become an instant slur when either a non-black person refer to a black person "X-word) or a black refer to a non-black as "N-word"

Another word of the same category is "White-trash" ,"Trailer Trash", Yokel and something along the line like that

You did not find it abusing/offensive most likely because you don't know about South American culture, calling other people Liar and Bastard may be alright in any part of the world, but calling a South American that is a good way to get killed.

And again, I did not put that entry in Racial Slur database.

I read the entry you quoted, and it said the term itself is not taboo?

Doesn't matter, I'll never use that term anyway, I wouldn't even know how to pronounce it.

I read the entry you quoted, and it said the term itself is not taboo?

Doesn't matter, I'll never use that term anyway, I wouldn't even know how to pronounce it.

well, it's a slur, regardless, and if it's a slur, then someone will take offense with it

Is it a taboo is not matter, as I said, in some situation it is perfectly alright to use this word. But this is no of those occasion.

They put the word in the racial slur database for a reason.....It is quite offensive in Central, Suth American and the US.

And I never heard of it being refer to anything other than a mix race of White and Native American

well, it's a slur, regardless, and if it's a slur, then someone will take offense with it

It is a slur in the Americas ONLY. Elsewhere in the world, it is a legitimate term. The link you quoted is weighted towards American sensibilities, and does not reflect the wider usage around the world.

In the Philippines, the word mestizo is used to specifically mean a Filipino with combined Indigenous and/or Amerindian and European ancestry.

Since this conversation concerns the Philippines, and it is NOT a racial slur in the Philippines, then it is less of an issue.

It is a slur in the Americas ONLY. Elsewhere in the world, it is a legitimate term. The link you quoted is weighted towards American sensibilities, and does not reflect the wider usage around the world.

In the Philippines, the word mestizo is used to specifically mean a Filipino with combined Indigenous and/or Amerindian and European ancestry.

Since this conversation concerns the Philippines, and it is NOT a racial slur in the Philippines, then it is less of an issue.

The word in question is Spanish origin, of course people who don't speak Spanish will not be offended by it. For people who don't speak Spanish or don't know the origin of this word, the word has no special meaning

However, as I say this many time here, Mestizo when used correctly is very common, like when you talk to your friends and says "Hey, You bastard, How have you been?"

However, if you use this word incorrectly, then you will mean it as a slur, especially when you or the subject is not used within the context.

As I said, this word may not be insulting in Philippine or in China or whatever places, but it still does offending some people. The term White Trash or Trailer Trash may not be insulting to people who are not white, but do you think it's ok to use in a common usage, to a white or non-white person??

I don't really know how to tell you, Mestizo is on the same line as Chicano, Cholo and Nig ger. This word could be offending to someone who's watching, me for example, take offense to anyone call other mestizo. In Spanish community, saying someone "Mestizo" mean calling that person a bastard.

Again, it's okay to use it somewhere else does not mean people will not get offended by it. So even if that's a normal term (Which I highly doubt) in Philippine, it would still be a slur to people who speak the language.

The word in question is Spanish origin, of course people who don't speak Spanish will not be offended by it. For people who don't speak Spanish or don't know the origin of this word, the word has no special meaning

However, as I say this many time here, Mestizo when used correctly is very common, like when you talk to your friends and says "Hey, You bastard, How have you been?"

However, if you use this word incorrectly, then you will mean it as a slur, especially when you or the subject is not used within the context.

As I said, this word may not be insulting in Philippine or in China or whatever places, but it still does offending some people. The term White Trash or Trailer Trash may not be insulting to people who are not white, but do you think it's ok to use in a common usage, to a white or non-white person??

I don't really know how to tell you, Mestizo is on the same line as Chicano, Cholo and Nig ger. This word could be offending to someone who's watching, me for example, take offense to anyone call other mestizo. In Spanish community, saying someone "Mestizo" mean calling that person a bastard.

Again, it's okay to use it somewhere else does not mean people will not get offended by it. So even if that's a normal term (Which I highly doubt) in Philippine, it would still be a slur to people who speak the language.

Maybe I am not quite clear on this.

Let's look at the word "Nigger"

Nigger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is a noun in the English language. The word originated as a neutral term referring to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger ("color black").[1] Often used disparagingly, by the mid 20th century, particularly in the United States, it suggested that its target is extremely unsophisticated. Its usage had become unambiguously pejorative, a common ethnic slur usually directed at blacks of Sub-Saharan African descent.

People commonly use the word nigger to describe and refer to black people does not make this word ok to use with some context. Just because this word is not supposedly a slur when a person use it outside black or Sub Saharan African, does that mean it is generally ok for anyone outside that category to use the word nigger??

The word is a slur, it does not matter how you use it or who you use it to, people who see it as a slur will take offense, that is the whole point.

Last edited:
As I said, this word may not be insulting in Philippine or in China or whatever places, but it still does offending some people.

The word by itself is not offensive, but it has offensive connotations in certain parts of America ONLY.

The rest of your post about other racial terms is worthless since it is irrelevant.

What part of this do you have trouble understanding?

You are deliberately making an issue out of a non-issue because YOU don't understand that the word is offensive in a particular context ONLY. It is not offensive in the rest of the world.

For example, the word 'negras' is NOT offensive in most of South America, even though it would be considered offensive in North America.

Please educate yourself about the importance of context in language.

Last edited:
The word by itself is not offensive, but it has offensive connotations in certain parts of America ONLY.

The rest of your post about other racial terms is worthless since it is irrelevant.

What part of this do you have trouble understanding?

You are deliberately making an issue out of a non-issue because YOU don't understand that the word is offensive in a particular context ONLY. It is not offensive in the rest of the world.

For example, the word 'negras' is NOT offensive in most of South America, even though it would be considered offensive in North America.

Please educate yourself about the importance of context in language.

seems like you are the one should educate yourself about the importantance of context of language.

I want to ask you this, up front, Do you speak Spanish? Any Spanish at all? Do you know exactly why mestizo is an ethnic slur in Hispanic world??

I cannot teach you the whole South and Central American culture, but I will tell you this.

Mestizo, if you speak to an South or Central American or any Spanish speaking person would literally mean "Bastard" the word, in its own meaning is "Mixed Race" and "Crossbreed" but when you say "Mestizo" to a Hispanic and Spanish speaker, it will literally mean "Bastard"

Mestizo en inglés | Traductor español a inglés | English to Spanish Translation

It's a kind of common understanding as in English, when you say to someone "bitch" it will not mean female dog and the meaning is quite autonomous.

And in Spanish culture, speaking of facts is a must, but unless you know that person personally, You generally avoid the word mestizo.

This is what @Wholegrain said

LOL, it was under those mestizo Presidents in which Chinese were kidnapped and preyed upon by the Philippine policy and army.

If was under this mestizo President Aquino in which the Hong Kong tourists were massacred in the Philippines, and in which Filipino coastguard murdered a Taiwanese fisherman.

It was President Marcos who massacred tons of innocent people, both Filipino, Chinese, and Moro.

In total English, replace the word mestizo (Spanish) to the direct English meaning

LOL, it was under those crossbred Presidents in which Chinese were kidnapped and preyed upon by the Philippine policy and army.

If was under this crossbred President Aquino in which the Hong Kong tourists were massacred in the Philippines, and in which Filipino coastguard murdered a Taiwanese fisherman.

It was President Marcos who massacred tons of innocent people, both Filipino, Chinese, and Moro

Now tell me if this is consider appropriate?

I speak Spanish, French and so did my husband, I found this offensive, and he found it offensive, and the word "Mestizo" is in the racial slur data book itself, so are you telling me I cannot be offended by a word in slur book, used in an inappropriate manner??

seems like you are the one should educate yourself about the importantance of context of language.

Once again, as always, your IGNORANCE got the better of you.

What part do you have trouble understanding that the SAME word can have different connotations in different parts of the world?

I know English is not your first language, but please do take the time to read the WIkipedia entry since it is quite detailed and exhaustive. The word, by itself, simply means someone of mixed ancestry. The connotations you describe exist ONLY in certain geographic regions.

It would help if you shed your preconceived notions and educate yourself with facts.

I speak Spanish, French and so did my husband, I found this offensive, and he found it offensive, and the word "Mestizo" is in the racial slur data book itself, so are you telling me I cannot be offended by a word in slur book, used in an inappropriate manner??

You can be offended by anything you like. It doesn't mean others have to take you seriously if you are IGNORANT about the usage of the word in other contexts and are deliberately making an issue out of a non-issue.

Bottom line: the word has offensive connotations in certain parts of America. It does NOT have those connotations in other parts of the world and, specifically, in the context in which it was used here.

The conversation here is not being conducted about South America or in Spanish. If the word doesn't have negative connotations in context, then it is not offensive.

Once again, the word negro shares the same etymology as negra. One is offensive, the other isn't.

If you have trouble understanding this simple piece of logic, I can try to have it translated in French and Spanish, so you can have a better comprehension.

Last edited:
Once again, as always, your IGNORANCE got the better of you.

What part do you have trouble understanding that the SAME word can have different connotations in different parts of the world?

I know English is not your first language, but please do take the time to read the WIkipedia entry since it is quite detailed and exhaustive. The word, by itself, simply means someone of mixed ancestry. The connotations you describe exist ONLY in certain geographic regions.

It would help if you shed your preconceived notions and educate yourself with facts.

You can be offended by anything you like. It doesn't mean others have to take you seriously if you are IGNORANT about the usage of the word in other contexts and are deliberately making an issue out of a non-issue.

Bottom line: the word has offensive connotations in certain parts of America. It does NOT have those connotations in other parts of the world and, specifically, in the context in which it was used here.

The conversation here is not being conducted about South America or in Spanish. If the word doesn't have negative connotations in context, then it is not offensive.

Once again, the word negro shares the same etymology as negra. One is offensive, the other isn't.

If you have trouble understanding this simple piece of logic, I can try to have it translated in French and Spanish, so you can have a better comprehension.

well, I have already made a complaint on the suggestion and discussion forum, so any more of these please move to the forum topic for any correspondent, I suggest we do not take any further bandwidth from this topic and derail it already

well, I have already made a complaint on the suggestion and discussion forum, so any more of these please move to the forum topic for any correspondent, I suggest we do not take any further bandwidth from this topic and derail it already

Not interested in your tantrums.

Once again, either educate yourself or leave the discussion to people who are knowledgeable on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom