What's new

Confirmed: Iran and Russia to Co-Produce Su-30 Fighter Jet

Daneshmand

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Confirmed: Iran and Russia to Co-Produce Su-30 Fighter Jet | The Diplomat

During a recent television interview, Iran’s Defense Minister, General Hossein Dehqhan, announced that Iran will sign a contract with Russia for the co-production of an undisclosed number of Russian-made Sukhoi Su-30 multirole fighter aircraft, Fars News Agency reports.

Should the deal go through, Iran will be the second country in the world after India to produce a variation of the Su-30 fighter jet locally. However, as of now, it still remains unclear in what capacity Tehran will be involved in the aircraft production process.

According to a source within Iran’s Defense Ministry interviewed by Sputnik News, a contract could be signed as early as February 16, when the Iranian defense minister will arrive in Moscow to discuss the deliveries of S-300 air defense systems and the Sukhoi Su-30 aircraft.

“Minister Dehgan is taking a number of the Defense Ministry’s representatives to the Russian capital to meet with their Russian colleagues and other highly-ranked officials,” the source notes.

“The last stages will be discussed of delivering Iran the S-300 complex, the first part of which should arrive before the end of next month, and the second by the end of June. Minister Dehqwan will also discuss the delivery of Su-30 airplanes because the Defense Ministry believes the Iranian Air Force needs this type of plane. We’ve moved far in these discussions of purchases and I think that during the upcoming visit a contract will be signed,” according to the source.

First rumors about a likely Iranian-Russian Su-30 deal emerged already in the summer of 2015 during the MAKS airshow, held near Moscow. “We are discussing the purchase of Sukhoi fighter planes,” Dehqhan told Iran’s Press TV back then.

However, Iran’s Vice-President for Science and Technology Affairs, Sorena Sattari, who was also present during the discussions, downplayed the talks at the time: “We spoke about it but we didn’t discuss purchasing them and talks were mostly focused on the technological issues.”

As I explained previously (See: “Will Iran License-Build Russia’s T-90S Main Battle Tank?”):

Under the so-called Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCOP), an international agreement on the nuclear program of Iran signed in July 2015, the UN arms embargo will be lifted 5 years after the JCOP adoption day. However, conventional weapons sales can be decided on a case-by-case basis meanwhile. “During the five years arms deliveries to Iran would be possible if they clear a notification and verification process in the UN Security Council,” according to Russia’s Foreign Minister, Sergei Lavrov.

It is unclear what variant of the Sukhoi Su-30 Iran is interested in, nor how many aircraft it wants to procure and within what timeframe. During his recent television interview, General Hossein Dehqhan, also rejected the idea of procuring Chengdu J-10 lightweight multirole fighter aircraft from China.

looks like the mig-29s iran already poses

Not at all. You do not know what you are talking about, as always.

This is a much more lethal fighter compared with Mig-29 as it was designed to be an air superiority fighter. The other advantage it has, is its being just one step behind the PAKFA in evolutionary terms. But the crown jewel of it all is, Iran will be making them inside Iran.

Made in Iran. That is what is important here. Hopefully in future we will see made in Iran PAKFA too!

looks like the mig-29s iran already poses
No... it does not look anything like the MiG-29.

Well, this is a much more lethal fighter compared with Mig-29 as it was designed to be an air superiority fighter. The other advantage it has, is its is just one step behind the PAKFA in evolutionary terms. But the crown jewel is, Iran will be manufacturing them inside Iran.

Made in Iran. That is what is important here. Hopefully in future we will see made in Iran PAKFA too!
The Su-30 has an extremely modular design and structure. The plane could be build as per request of a customer. For example India pimped out the Su-30 to a new MKI variant. This is a good choice by Iran no doubt.

However i doubt Iran would go for PAKFA anytime soon. Even Russia is buying more Su-35's instead of PAKFA due to delays and the price per unit.

Well, this is a much more lethal fighter compared with Mig-29 as it was designed to be an air superiority fighter. The other advantage it has, is its is just one step behind the PAKFA in evolutionary terms. But the crown jewel is, Iran will be manufacturing them inside Iran.

well , if they transfer the technology to iran then that would be something , but if it's done under russian supervision then it would be much like the shah era except we are buying russian instead of american !

besides , what fighter are we going to fight with this , it certainly won't be the israeli fighters over syria and more certainly not against the emirati , or saudi , other arab air forces , under the gulf

The Su-30 has an extremely modular design and structure. The plane could be build as per request of a customer. For example India pimped out the Su-30 to a new MKI variant. This is a good choice by Iran no doubt.

However i doubt Iran would go for PAKFA anytime soon. Even Russia is buying more Su-35's instead of PAKFA due to delays and the price per unit.

The point I was trying to make is that PAKFA is an evolutionary design built over Su-30 design. It is unlike the F-22 and F-35 which are revolutionary designs which have nothing to do with F-15 and FA-18. So any experience Iran gains with Su-30 can be used in future towards PAKFA as well. How far that future might be, is not that important right now. But hopefully it won't be that far. Even India has serious plans for adopting and integrating PAKFA technology. Iran should too. Su-30 is just a step in the right direction.

that's nice to hear , hard to comprehend , if anything , the planes that americans sell to israel are always upgraded with something , everything russia sells to iran like those s-300's are always downgraded to meet the zionist requirements , this sukhoi would be no exception

well , if they transfer the technology to iran then that would be something , but if it's done under russian supervision then it would be much like the shah era except we are buying russian instead of american !

besides , what fighter are we going to fight with this , it certainly won't be the israeli fighters over syria and more certainly not against the emirati , or saudi , other arab air forces , under the gulf

Whatever they transfer is going to be better than nothing at all.

No body has it in herself to fight Iran. With this fighter or without. Iran's strength lies somewhere else, not in this fighter or for that matter in any other hardware: An 'ontology' of Iran-Saudi "rivalry": From Churchill's snobbish sneeze to Abdullah's fear of snakes

that's nice to hear , hard to comprehend , if anything , the planes that americans sell to israel are always upgraded with something , everything russia sells to iran like those s-300's are always downgraded to meet the zionist requirements , this sukhoi would be no exception

Do you even understand what ToT means? I thought so.

And by the way, does Israel make those planes in Israel or just import them from US? :lol:

I have a question.

Why is Iran producing / procuring aircraft from other countries ?

what requirement is it that " Husseni Tayara" a.k.a Qaher et all could not fulfill ?

i wasn't trying to disprove your point , you are right , it's one tiny step in giving the iranian armed forces more class , rather than a huge stockpile of missiles pointed towards israel , now we are trying to upgrade our old airforce and give it some dignity , that's nice , but we owe it all to non other than Javid Zarif

You might think it's irrelevant , but russians are US underdogs , without mr Zarif , we would still be stuck with our mig-29s and their paintjobs

The point I was trying to make is that PAKFA is an evolutionary design built over Su-30 design. It is unlike the F-22 and F-35 which are revolutionary designs which have nothing to do with F-15 and FA-18. So any experience Iran gains with Su-30 can be used in future towards PAKFA as well. How far that future might be, is not that important right now. But hopefully it won't be that far. Even India has serious plans for adopting and integrating PAKFA technology. Iran should too. Su-30 is just a step in the right direction.
This is the first time i ever heard that the PAKFA was build over the Su-30 design. Can you provide the source for this claim? From what i know the PAKFA is a new design altogether and isnt neccesarely based on its predecessors.

i wasn't trying to disprove your point , you are right , it's one tiny step in giving the iranian armed forces more class , rather than a huge stockpile of missiles pointed towards israel , now we are trying to upgrade our old airforce and give it some dignity , that's nice , but we owe it all to non other than Javid Zarif

You might think it's irrelevant , but russians are US underdogs , without mr Zarif , we would still be stuck with our mig-29s and their paintjobs

The thing, it is in Iran's interests to do so and the opportunity has presented itself to take advantage of the situation. t
That's all. National interests should rein supreme.

Congratulations to Iran ..
Stronger Iran is good for region and Pakistan .
I would love to see Su-30 of Iran training with our JF-17 ( block-3 ) ...

Thank you. Hopefully that day is not too far!

This is the first time i ever heard that the PAKFA was build over the Su-30 design. Can you provide the source for this claim? From what i know the PAKFA is a new design altogether and isnt neccesarely based on its predecessors.

Yes, Russians used an evolutionary model to design PAKFA rather than going for a revolutionary design model as Americans did with their fifthe generation fighter program: Assessing the Sukhoi PAK-FA / Sukhoi/KnAAPO T-50/I-21/Article701 PAK-FA Перспективный Авиационный Комплекс Фронтовой Авиации

Why not the Su-35?

If Iran does choose a Su-30, it will be the MKI of course, but much newer in tech.

Back
Top Bottom