What's new

Chinese TV show replaces celebrity actress with a cartoon CACTUS because she was wearing a Hijab

I presume you are referring to the West and specifically France. I'd agree, if freedom of speech and expression is to be applied consistently, both should be allowed; be it religious symbols in public or satire on religious figures.

There is the other side too - the Islamic nations. Even is so called secular India, you are allowed to wear Islamic symbols in public but can't mock that religion or religious figures. That too is hypocrisy and appeasement.

This thread is about China though, they don't even pretend to be free with their open suppression of expression, particularly religious expression. Since Islam tends to be one of the more overt in terms of expression, they are naturally going to face the brunt of suppression by the Chinese authorities.

My point with bringing in Islamic nations, specifically Pak by implication was that you guys are going to look the other way because its China. If it were France, US or India, there would be much more hullabaloo.

You pay a heavy price for Chinese 'friendship'. This is just one little aspect of that.

Thank for a detailed reply, need to clarify on some things.

Firstly, i was not only referring to France, there is a whole lot of them, hypocrites who claim to be moderate and free modern societies but still oppress minorities with such shameful acts. China never claim that they allow such freedom of expression and speech, they oppress even there own Chinese people for a huge lot of reason, it is not a Muslim Only policy. Remember the boat that capsized last month and who the media and news was handled? That was not against Muslims. All said, IT DO NOT MEAN that any of this is justifiable or even humane. Chinese MUST allow a bit of flexibility and allow freedom of speech, religion is a personal choice and should be respected.

Secondly, i do not look if people are going to look other way here but i certainly do not and do condemn this act. BUT, i will not fall for the idea of presenting it as Chinese ONLY anti-Muslim policy, that is not the case, that is how they work there, not that any of that is correct of justified as i said.

Thank for a detailed reply, need to clarify on some things.

Firstly, i was not only referring to France, there is a whole lot of them, hypocrites who claim to be moderate and free modern societies but still oppress minorities with such shameful acts. China never claim that they allow such freedom of expression and speech, they oppress even there own Chinese people for a huge lot of reason, it is not a Muslim Only policy. Remember the boat that capsized last month and who the media and news was handled? That was not against Muslims. All said, IT DO NOT MEAN that any of this is justifiable or even humane. Chinese MUST allow a bit of flexibility and allow freedom of speech, religion is a personal choice and should be respected.

Secondly, i do not look if people are going to look other way here but i certainly do not and do condemn this act. BUT, i will not fall for the idea of presenting it as Chinese ONLY anti-Muslim policy, that is not the case, that is how they work there, not that any of that is correct of justified as i said.

Open acknowledgement by the Chinese of their oppressive regime does not mitigate the barbarism. Communism has always been a more overt from of suppression.

Spying on their own citizens behind the Iron curtain was open and acknowledged, in the west its covert and obfuscated.

The current Chinese political system relies on virtual eradication any identify save for being Chinese. Their system unless it changes drastically, cannot support freedom of expression.

You might condemn this openly but lack of activity on this thread by your countrymen as opposed to any similar act by another nation speaks volumes. How many of your countrymen are going to condemn banning of Burqa or force feeding Muslims during Ramzan in China?

As I said, price for Chinese 'friendship'.

China is anti-religion, not merely anti-Muslim; as I clarified, since Islam tends to be more overt in its expression, it is likely to face the brunt of suppression.

Hain o_O
How is putting cartoon characters on a screen an act of aggression ???
I am just referring to putting this cartoon but the whole oppression thing, the only thing i WILL HAVE TO ADD every time i suppose because otherwise we will start seeing a lot of dancing and chanting is that this oppression is not directed ONLY towards Muslims. They deal with all there matters like this, not that it is right but that is how it is done there. Remember the boat sinking last month and how that was handled?

ALL SAID, this should stop, China is growing as a global power and need to build its image and such things do not help a lot.

You pay a heavy price for Chinese 'friendship'. This is just one little aspect of that.

Thank you for your concern
You are in a long list of Indians here who don't miss any opportunity to remind Pakistanis about this supposed heavy price... Remind me again why Pakistan should give a single fudge about the internal affairs of China ???

Open acknowledgement by the Chinese of their oppressive regime does not mitigate the barbarism. Communism has always been a more overt from of suppression.

Spying on their own citizens behind the Iron curtain was open and acknowledged, in the west its covert and obfuscated.

The current Chinese political system relies on virtual eradication any identify save for being Chinese. Their system unless it changes drastically, cannot support freedom of expression.

You might condemn this openly but lack of activity on this thread by your countrymen as opposed to any similar act by another nation speaks volumes. How many of your countrymen are going to condemn banning of Burqa or force feeding Muslims during Ramzan in China?

As I said, price for Chinese 'friendship'.

China is anti-religion, not merely anti-Muslim; as I clarified, since Islam tends to be more overt in its expression, it is likely to face the brunt of suppression.

Refer to my post sir, i have CLEARLY stated that even though this is how they deal with matter it do not means it is justified or right thing to do. About lack of response or Pakistani members being quite on this matter compared to what it would have been if it was any other country, yes you are right. We do have very cordial relations with China and that give some allowance or acceptance for such matters unconsciously. This is again pretty much HOW EVERY nation works. West sees human right violations in some countries but the ones they are buying there fashion stuff from, there generally are quite about those. Now if you say that it is that particular country paying PRICE of its business or trade relation with EU that wont be right entirely. I will say that we are paying price of our friendship with China when my COUNTRY is effected by some Chinese action. For now, it is the Muslims paying the prices, just like they are in Myanmar or in ME.

NOT PUTTING a cartoon but the whole oppression

The thing about this relationship is we don't interfere in the internal affairs of each other
How China treats its muslims is of no concern to us !
How Pakistan treats its minorities is of no concern to them !

IMG_2717.JPG

Professors at the University of Medicine in Urumqi, Xinjiang, hand out melons to Uighur students during Ramadan. Photo uploaded to the private Wechat account of our Observer, Lin (not his real name).

China clamps down on Xinjiang’s Muslims over Ramadan | The FRANCE 24 Observers

Thank you for your concern
You are in a long list of Indians here who don't miss any opportunity to remind Pakistanis about this supposed heavy price... Remind me again why Pakistan should give a single fudge about the internal affairs of China ???

Don't mention it. :cheers:

Its irrelevant to me whether you or your countrymen chose to not bother with internal matters of China, just as its irrelevant if you chose to bother yourself with internal matters of India.

Refer to my post sir, i have CLEARLY stated that even though this is how they deal with matter it do not means it is justified or right thing to do. About lack of response or Pakistani members being quite on this matter compared to what it would have been if it was any other country, yes you are right. We do have very cordial relations with China and that give some allowance or acceptance for such matters unconsciously. This is again pretty much HOW EVERY nation works. West sees human right violations in some countries but the ones they are buying there fashion stuff from, there generally are quite about those. Now if you say that it is that particular country paying PRICE of its business or trade relation with EU that wont be right entirely. I will say that we are paying price of our friendship with China when my COUNTRY is effected by some Chinese action. For now, it is the Muslims paying the prices, just like they are in Myanmar or in ME.

Sir, I acknowledged that you are an exception in that you do come out and condemn this and other oppressive moves by China in this context. My point was the silence of rest of your otherwise vocal countrymen, which you agree with.

Every nation pays a price for their interests. Nothing is free. US looks away oppression by KSA, it over-looked the fact that a majority of the 9/11 perpetrators were of Saudi origins.

This is small stuff, you have not even begun to pay the price for Chinese friendship though you have paid plenty of price for US friendship in helping them against the Soviets and war on terror. While its too early for such price to become evident viz-a-viz China, Pak is virtually entirely dependent on China and the dependence is only increasing.

Anyway, this thread is mostly about regressive China, where we don't disagree, we can park the larger consequences of Pak dependence on China for some other thread. I am sure we'll have plenty of opportunity to discuss that particular topic.

Let's not. Because the actress was not a Muslim and no Muslim sentiments were hurt in the process. You probably missed that because you have learning difficulties.

Just as the Pakistanis censor nudity in their media finding it offensive and against their accepted cultural sensitivities, the Chinese are free to align the content their media displays in line with their own cultural values and norms.

Go be an Indian elsewhere.

So you are placing nudity and islamic values on one platform to be censored ? Very good.

Their TV, their country, their rules. I couldn't care less.

I guess that was your view of Prophet Muhammad cartoons or Shaikh Hasena vent against Pakistan. Since it happened in another country you don't care about it. I guess if it had happened in India instead of China your views would have been different.

Back
Top Bottom