What's new

Chinese TV show replaces celebrity actress with a cartoon CACTUS because she was wearing a Hijab

gau8av

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Chinese reality TV show replaces celebrity actress with a cartoon CACTUS because she was wearing a 'religious headscarf'
  • In hit show, actress Ning Jing was given cartoon helmet and spiky hair
  • Her headscarf was covered up in latest episode as it looked like hijab
  • Spokesman said her religious clothes are not 'suitable' to broadcast
  • The burqa is banned in public places in Muslim region of China
A Chinese celebrity was covered up by bizarre cartoon pictures during a reality television show because she was wearing a headscarf.

Actress Ning Jing, 43, was replaced by a large cartoon cactus during Saturday's episode of Divas Hit The Road, and given a pink helmet and spiky yellow hair at other points in the programme.

It is believed that her headscarf was covered up in the episode, which was filmed in Dubai, because it looked like the hijab worn by Muslim women, reported the People's Daily Online.

The burqa has been banned from public places in Urumqi, regional capital of the predominantly Muslim region of Xinjiang in north eastern China, since January.

The decision is described by some local media outlets as 'an effort to curb growing extremism'.

The giant cactus, which is pictured wearing a Santa hat and scarf, covers Ms Ning as she walks in a desert.

Her voice remained audible during the segment and her skirt can be seen moving behind the cartoon image.

A spokesman for Hunan TV, which aired the programme, told 163.com the cartoon images were used because 'her clothes touch the religious topic, hence are not suitable to broadcast'.

[HASHTAG]#NingjingBlurred[/HASHTAG] became a trending topic on Weibo, the Chinese version of Twitter, as people went online to discuss the censoring of the actress, who is not Muslim.

The post has received nearly 30 million clicks since it appeared on Sunday.

2A15B16A00000578-0-Bizarre_The_giant_cactus_wearing_a_Santa_hat_and_scarf_covered_a-a-49_1435587940762.jpg

Bizarre: The giant cactus replaced actress Ning Jing during the episode of Divas Hit the Road filmed in Dubai

2A15B15A00000578-0-New_accessory_She_was_also_given_a_pink_cartoon_helmet_during_Sa-a-50_1435587948920.jpg

New accessory: She was given a pink cartoon helmet to disguise the headscarf she was wearing

2A15B16200000578-0-Covered_up_She_was_also_given_a_cartoon_hairstyle_complete_with_-a-51_1435587957824.jpg

Covered up: She was also given a cartoon hairstyle. The TV station said it was because of 'religious issues'

Ning Jing replaced with a cartoon CACTUS in Divas Hit the Road | Daily Mail Online

Nefarious intent, childish execution. Only in China. :lol:

Lets see reactions from an 'Islamic' nation. :pop:

Let's not. Because the actress was not a Muslim and no Muslim sentiments were hurt in the process. You probably missed that because you have learning difficulties.

Just as the Pakistanis censor nudity in their media finding it offensive and against their accepted cultural sensitivities, the Chinese are free to align the content their media displays in line with their own cultural values and norms.

Go be an Indian elsewhere.

88408423a48d4137c02e8e17203ab7d939ad268ace7e7bdf4de8a7c02b2bf602.jpg

Hahaha. That is incredible! Made my day.
It doesn't seem funny but incredibly retarded.

Just as the Pakistanis censor nudity in their media finding it offensive and against their accepted cultural sensitivities, the Chinese are free to align the content their media displays in line with their own cultural values and norms.
And your comparison of nudity and a headscarf is incredibly worse.

Last edited:
Let's not. Because the actress was not a Muslim and no Muslim sentiments were hurt in the process. You probably missed that because you have learning difficulties.

Go be an Indian elsewhere.

Childish attempts at insult seem to be your forte. :lol:

Go 'educate' someone else dude, I am sure even banning of Burqa and forcing Muslims to eat during Ramzan does not hurt Muslims according to you as long as the Chinese do it. :rofl:

Do continue being a Pakistani, your poor attempt at wit exemplify your country and what Indians and most of the world expect form you guys.

Free advice, wit is natural, you either have it or you don't. You clearly lack it, so any attempts at it will only serve the purpose of entertaining us; thus, do continue. :coffee:

Nefarious intent, childish execution. Only in China. :lol:

Lets see reactions from an 'Islamic' nation. :pop:
NOT ONLY in China. At least they do not issue hypocratic statements about giving equal rights of freedom of speech and way you wnt to live you life, there are MANY countries who will support freedom of speech if it is someone insulting Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) but cannot tolerate a girl wearing hijab on her own free will :lol: I hope you know the details yourself and i do not have to spoon feed.

However, this really is an act of aggression, Chines should know better than that...
If a person want to wear hijab then what is wrong in that? as long as she is doing it on her own free will, Chinese should not follow others and get involved in such things.

I am born and live in the West. I have more right to discuss their actions than you. I can talk down to India too. Deal with it.
Their TV, their country, their rules. I couldn't care less. (Shouldn't have written this then, unless you consider India your country)

NOT ONLY in China. At least they do not issue hypocratic statements about giving equal rights of freedom of speech and way you wnt to live you life, there are MANY countries who will support freedom of speech if it is someone insulting Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) but cannot tolerate a girl wearing hijab on her own free will :lol: I hope you know the details yourself and i do not have to spoon feed.

However, this really is an act of aggression, Chines should know better than that...
If a person want to wear hijab then what is wrong in that? as long as she is doing it on her own free will, Chinese should not follow others and get involved in such things.

I presume you are referring to the West and specifically France. I'd agree, if freedom of speech and expression is to be applied consistently, both should be allowed; be it religious symbols in public or satire on religious figures.

There is the other side too - the Islamic nations. Even is so called secular India, you are allowed to wear Islamic symbols in public but can't mock that religion or religious figures. That too is hypocrisy and appeasement.

This thread is about China though, they don't even pretend to be free with their open suppression of expression, particularly religious expression. Since Islam tends to be one of the more overt in terms of expression, they are naturally going to face the brunt of suppression by the Chinese authorities.

My point with bringing in Islamic nations, specifically Pak by implication was that you guys are going to look the other way because its China. If it were France, US or India, there would be much more hullabaloo.

You pay a heavy price for Chinese 'friendship'. This is just one little aspect of that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom