What's new

'China will be 2nd most powerful nation by 2050'

Do you even know the meaning of 'McCarthyism' to use that word here?

Anyway...A little bit about myself...Am single (with a G/F) and living in a 3000 sq/ft house on 1/4 acre lot. The house has 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, and a fully finished basement with a 'theater room' configured for movie viewing. Too much for a single guy, ya think? I read somewhere a long time ago that if we give everyone a 20 sq/ft room, we can fit the world's population into the Grand Canyon.

Now...Do you think that it is immoral for any non-married person to have such decadent excess? I say 'immoral', not 'illegal'. And if you think that it is 'immoral' for any single person to have such decadent excess, how do you propose we, as a society, deal with this 'immorality'? Do we persuade, meaning to present morally based argument to effect societal changes at the intellectual level? Or do we impose, meaning enact enforcible laws, to effect societal changes at the behavioral level? Persuasions inevitably give grounds to the other side, to allow the possibility that the target may not accept one's argument. Laws do not have such concessions, either you stop at the intersection as the sign said, or you will be punished.

So to correct the 'immorality' that I am living within, how do you propose we correct this?

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Scared to support your argument? Scared or unable? :lol:

You claimed that yourself to be Vietnamese descent, yet you know nothing about the traditional Asian values. Collectivism and Individualism is the fundamental difference between Eastern culture and Western culture.

In our tradional values, we tend to emphasize relationship more than the money when it comes to kinship and friendship. Today's Chinese society has been greatly shaped because the Western influence. I am not suggesting that everything from West is bad, but it has to be stopped at some degree when it comes to contradict our fundamental values.

You cannot sell your mother just for money and you cannot sell your best friend just for money, but these things happened in our society after the globalization. Of course, China got great benefits and prosperity from the globalization, yet we have lost many, our society lost its traditional values and our environment was greatly damaged. This is side effect what materialism has brought to our society. And i am suggesting that materialistic needs are forbidden, but it should have some control at some degree.

Yet you just spun my previous argument into a Communism vs Capitalism topic, i mean come on, show some class, and stop acting like a jerk. Your previous posts are borderline Internet trolling. :woot:

Last edited:
On the other hand too much forcus on 'relationships' will bring you cronyism. It has to be some balance in the middle.

Yes, everything has to be in the middle. I am not supporting too much relationship in the career, in the personal life is really important.

You claimed that yourself to be Vietnamese descent, yet you know nothing about the traditional Asian values. Collectivism and Individualism is the fundamental difference between Eastern culture and Western culture.

<snipped>

Yet you just spun my previous argument into a Communism vs Capitalism topic, i mean come on, show some class, and stop acting like a jerk. Your previous posts are borderline Internet trolling. :woot:
I said nothing about you at the personal level. I only challenge what you posted. I am proud to call myself a 'capitalist' and a 'democrat' (d not D). I believe that a communist should be equally proud of his ideological foundation and political biases as I am of mine. How I treat my family and friends are independent of public discourses of these ideological contentions. I will take this name calling from you to be that you are afraid of supporting your ideological and political argument.

Do you even know the meaning of 'McCarthyism' to use that word here?

Personal attacks again? The conversation was going pretty well without any political mudslinging before you showed up. Even when Chinese-tiger repeatedly stated that he was no Communist you kept on pestering him as if he were one?

I said nothing about you at the personal level. I only challenge what you posted. I am proud to call myself a 'capitalist' and a 'democrat' (d not D). I believe that a communist should be equally proud of his ideological foundation and political biases as I am of mine. How I treat my family and friends are independent of public discourses of these ideological contentions. I will take this name calling from you to be that you are afraid of supporting your ideological and political argument.

What am i afraid to admit?

I don't support nor reject everything from Communism. It is a sound ideology, yet no country has became successful under pure Communism doctrine, because it is impossible to apply for every human being.

I don't have any personal affliation with Communist nor it represents my own values exactly.

Lol, didn't know you are a dem, now America has the tendency to be an extremely conservative country. Obama and his dem buddies are now the scapegoat of blaming for ruining the economy. Just curious, do you think Obama is commie according to the definition of many teabaggers? :wave:

What am i afraid to admit?

I don't support nor reject everything from Communism. It is a sound ideology, yet no country has became successful under pure Communism doctrine, because it is impossible to apply for every human being.

I don't have any personal affliation with Communist nor it represents my own values exactly.

Lol, didn't know you are a dem, now America has the tendency to be an extremely conservative country. Obama and his dem buddies are now the scapegoat of blaming for ruining the economy. Just curious, do you think Obama is commie according to the definition of many teabaggers? :wave:
:lol: This tells me right off that you know nothing about American politics. There is a difference between 'democrat' and 'Democrat'. Look it up. As long as you continue to associate me with 'Democrat' I see no reason to take your criticisms of American politics and society seriously...:lol:

Personal attacks again? The conversation was going pretty well without any political mudslinging before you showed up. Even when Chinese-tiger repeatedly stated that he was no Communist you kept on pestering him as if he were one?
The verbal contests and challenges between 'communism' and 'democracy' is not political mudslinging or personal attacks. I said nothing about the man's stance on 'traditional Asian values' but he has no problems calling me out on it. And you are calling me out about 'personal attacks'...:rolleyes:

Yes, everything has to be in the middle. I am not supporting too much relationship in the career, in the personal life is really important.

Exactly right. We need to keep it balanced.

For example, Hong Kong (and other major Chinese cities) have accepted a lot of systems from other parts of the world.

However there is still a very distinct "Chinese character" to these cities. Confucianism... i.e. "family piety" is still of utmost importance. We still pay our respects to our Ancestors during the Qingming festival, we retain the old Chinese customs and values.

The Traditional values and culture are still there. The British came and left... but the city of Hong Kong will always be a Chinese one. Even if the economic/political system changes... such cities will always remain fundamentally Chinese.

Exactly right. We need to keep it balanced.

Let's look at Japan for example. They accepted a lot of Western ideas, however they still retain a very distinct "Japanese" culture. Even though they gave up a lot to America, they did not give up their "culture".

Hong Kong, and other major Chinese cities, have accepted a lot of systems from other parts of the world.

However there is still a very distinct "Chinese character" to these cities. Confucianism... i.e. "family piety" is still of utmost importance. We still pay our respects to our Ancestors during the Qingming festival, we retain the old Chinese customs and values.
Very good...:tup:...Now does that in anyway affect your desire to be 'materialistic' or to have more than your basic needs, for you and your family? Or is it true that you use these materialist excesses to benefit your family, to provide them with material comfort that you do not have in your older generations? So far this is about the false argument that one's materialism is contrary to 'traditional Asian values'...:rolleyes:

Very good...:tup:...Now does that in anyway affect your desire to be 'materialistic' or to have more than your basic needs, for you and your family? Or is it true that you use these materialist excesses to benefit your family, to provide them with material comfort that you do not have in your older days? So far this is about the false argument that one's materialism is contrary to 'traditional Asian values'...:rolleyes:

I don't know about that. Traditionally Chinese people will tend to "save money" (China has the highest savings rates in the world at around 50&#37; of GDP) and that is true in Hong Kong as well.

Given that, I have seen materialism in Hong Kong. Just look at even an average car parking lot and you will see Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc. Rich businessmen will often travel with a contingent of bodyguards, despite the fact that Hong Kong has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

So yes I have seen some excessive spending here... but the general character still seems to be more focused on "saving" rather than spending. Just my opinion of course.

I guess everyone is free to do what they want with their own wealth, as long as they don't become too tied up to material goods. Since everything is in a state of flux if people can live in luxury now they needs to be prepare to live when things are not so good. On the other hand a modest standard with good savings may be less zing but are likely to last.

It's easy to change from simple life to luxury, less easy to cut back.

I don't know about that. Traditionally Chinese people will tend to "save money" (China has the highest savings rates in the world at around 50% of GDP) and that is true in Hong Kong as well.

Given that, I have seen materialism in Hong Kong. Just look at even an average car parking lot and you will see Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc. Rich businessmen will often travel with a contingent of bodyguards, despite the fact that Hong Kong has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

So yes I have seen some excessive spending here... but the general character still seems to be more focused on "saving" rather than spending. Just my opinion of course.
Good...Then we can dismiss this argument...

Many young generation of Chinese tend to become very materialistic, that's not a good sign to me. I don't want our society to become full of materialistic animals just like in the Western society. Everything is about money, no kinship or friendship, that's basically no different from living in the jungle.
...As utter nonsense.

Good...Then we can dismiss this argument...

...As utter nonsense.

I wouldn't go that far.

I would say ChineseTiger has made an interesting point that is worth thinking about.

I would NOT say that Chinese culture makes one immune to materialism, but it's always good to be mindful of this quote: "moderation in all things". As they say, the dragon should not fly too high, or too low. It's best to strike a balance at the optimum level, "fei long zai tian" (flying dragon in the sky).

:lol: This tells me right off that you know nothing about American politics. There is a difference between 'democrat' and 'Democrat'. Look it up. As long as you continue to associate me with 'Democrat' I see no reason to take your criticisms of American politics and society seriously...:lol:

I never fully critisized American society, i always think our society should learn the positive side of the American society. Hey, but we are ethnically/culturally Chinese, do you think we have to 100&#37; duplicate the American way of life? Every Chinese has to abandoned their tradition and starts to live and to act like American? Maybe that is considered to be an honor for you, but not for all of us.

Philipine is the well-known American wannabe in Asia, is this country successful? :hitwall:

So what is the different between Dem and dem?

So i guess that you affiliate with another branch of dem, maybe the dixiecrat in the Southern states, if it is true, then that would be even more surprising to me. :cheesy:

Back
Top Bottom