China is buying up Italy, one company at a time

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China is buying up Italy, one company at a time
3dfe85248557eed66e8b6b5828b43ed6.jpg

For several years, Italians have received a steady diet of scare stories about everything made in China. Signs in the market halls, editorials in the papers, and word of mouth have delivered a clear message: do not buy “Made in China” items. For a country that prides itself on the quality of its local products, cheap imports from China are often demonized as inferior knock-offs—some 90% of fake “Made in Italy” merchandise allegedly comes from China, and even staples like tomato sauce and olive oil are not immune. Beyond appealing to their national pride, consumers are warned that jobs—a rather scarce commodity in Italy—are also at stake.

But while Italian shoppers may be urged to shun Made-in-China products, many cash-strapped Italian entrepreneurs can’t afford to be as picky when they choose business partners. Ahead of Chinese prime minister Li Keqiang’s upcoming visit to Italy, local businesses are looking to strengthen ties with their Chinese counterparts. To encourage Chinese investment in Italian companies, publisher ClassEditori set up an online portal—vendereaicinesi.it, which means “sell to the Chinese”—that features all sorts of classified ads directed at Chinese investors. Advertisers list everything from real estate to consumer products to entire companies.

Some 200 Italian business are now controlled by Chinese owners (not including the ones owned by Chinese living in Italy), according to La Repubblica, while China’s central bank holds stakes in several Italian blue chips like Fiat, Telecom Italia, Generali, and Eni, among others. Only the UK has attracted more Chinese money for acquisitions in Europe so far this year, according to Bloomberg. Italian prime minister Matteo Renzi was in China a few months ago, laying the groundwork for what he hopes will be even more investment in the months and years to come.

But while Italy’s political and business elite welcomes Chinese investments, the same isn’t necessarily true for pockets of the general public. Chinese people in Italy can face rather frequent racism based onworryingly widespread stereotypes. These prejudices aren’t something that money alone will solve.

China is buying up Italy, one company at a time – Quartz

Italy has high quality products.

Everything from China is cheap and knockoffs.

I would hate it if China takes over Italian Fashion brands.

the issue is funny. Actually a lot of high-end clothes from Italy are actually made by Chinese-run companies in Italy
and ppl just love them coz they think those clothese are from Italy and have no blame

There is a French smartphone company called wiko, which ranks top 3 in Frace, only after Apple and Samsung.
French ppl are proud of this french brand and regard it is of high quality after using it.
but actually it is a Chinese company with french shell. designed and manufactured in China

XDDDDDDDDD

the issue is funny. Actually a lot of high-end clothes from Italy are actually made by Chinese-run companies in Italy
and ppl just love them coz they think those clothese are from Italy and have no blame

There is a French smartphone company called wiko, which ranks top 3 in Frace, only after Apple and Samsung.
French ppl are proud of this french brand and regard it is of high quality after using it.
but actually it is a Chinese company with french shell. designed and manufactured in China

XDDDDDDDDD

That sucks.

When I pay top dollar for product I expect a dop dollar product, not a cheap knock off made in an industrial chinese factory.

how can china copy food products ?

Yes and no
But we have invented many of the unassailable top dishes in the world.:-):coffee:

That sucks.

When I pay top dollar for product I expect a dop dollar product, not a cheap knock off made in an industrial chinese factory.

That only reflects one thing that our industrial know-how is matching or exceeding the founding brandnames:china::enjoy::dance3:

Some 200 Italian business are now controlled by Chinese owners

and seems like more will be.. :)

yrd-doç-dr-vedat-şafak-yamı.jpg

That sucks.

are you confusing the two? brand name made in china thru MNC is different than knock off made in an industrial chinese factory. which is it?

Back
Top Bottom