What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 180 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.2%

• Total voters
Behtreen, have you seen french low flyby videos ? Video would've been perfect if Jet was fast

Those are done for the cameras or pleasing the troopers, this was part of an exercise.

Those are done for the cameras or pleasing the troopers, this was part of an exercise.

But then whats the point in flying so low? How would it help the air force or the ground forces? Isnt it a dangerous manoevure?

Behtreen, have you seen french low flyby videos ? Video would've been perfect if Jet was fast

Actually, going that slow is incredibly dangerous …

@airmarshal 's first question can't be answered because information is withheld ( quite normal )
and the second gives - not sure save training for everything - but the last one is a resounding yes!

That's a jetfighter ( an anvil with an attached rocket ) not a Cessna, for Pete's sake!

Good evening all, Tay.

But then whats the point in flying so low? How would it help the air force or the ground forces? Isnt it a dangerous manoevure?
I'm sure you have heard of the term, flying below the radar, these particular aircraft are maritime strike Mirages armed with a sea skimming Exocet ASM. For all we know, it could have been practising a simulated launch.

I'm sure you have heard of the term, flying below the radar, these particular aircraft are maritime strike Mirages armed with a sea skimming Exocet ASM. For all we know, it could have been practising a simulated launch.

I know PA3 are Exocet carrying platforms but then my question again is if its possible at all to launch an Exocet from such a low level?

I know PA3 are Exocet carrying platforms but then my question again is if its possible at all to launch an Exocet from such a low level?

Yes it is, but you better have the lock or a good chance the missile while trying to reach a steady state of flight will end up in hitting the water.

Usually, you would acquire the target on the radar, and cue that info to the missile. Exocets are obsolete anyway, limited range.

C803/805 is some interesting stuff.

Yes it is, but you better have the lock or a good chance the missile while trying to reach a steady state of flight will end up in hitting the water.

Usually, you would acquire the target on the radar, and cue that info to the missile. Exocets are obsolete anyway, limited range.

If the target is acquired and surprise is achieved. Is is not possible to gain height before firing.

Isnt it that Mirage PA3 capability is itself obsolete? there are very powerful and long range ship borne radars that can easily detect planes taking off from enemy bases. So that element of surprise or springing a surprise is already gone! May be a topic for another thread.

Isnt it that Mirage PA3 capability is itself obsolete? there are very powerful and long range ship borne radars that can easily detect planes taking off from enemy bases. So that element of surprise or springing a surprise is already gone! May be a topic for another thread.

Yes pretty much, that is why they are being superseded by JF-17, the KLJ7 can spot a ship sized target from much further away and launch the C803 from much further away. So as the air defense umbrella improves, so does the anti-ship one.

It may have been perfect.. but as such flying the jet slow and fast is easy. Flying a jet, and more importantly a delta winged mirage that is not very good at keeping aloft at low speeds takes balls of chronomite.
What is interesting to note is that the aircraft has actually settled into a bit of ground effect and is staying up much easier.

Back
Top Bottom