What's new

Can the forum warning points and banning process be changed?

Theres people here who haven't even had 1 point...in years. And some just serve a ban and continue spewing to get banned and cry again.

Keep the system it's working to keep persistant trouble makers at bay.

This isn’t Carnegie Endowments for international peace or IISI. 95% of members (including Think Tanks/ analysts/mod) present on this forum don’t have any professional military or Geopolitical background. What you are calling highly intellectual discussion are just proofread paragraphs of English, most often with very little substance. Your moderation wishes will cause forum to lose traffic. It’s a public forum. Traffic is the life line.
Or maybe it might encourage members to improve their knowledge and discuss with a higher competency and informative posts. I would prefer reading posts from where I can learn something good than just read opinions and one liners with no substance. I myself also want to get better.
But, what you said is also valid. Maybe balancing between quality and traffic attraction will be a good compromise.

He's joined in 2015. The nadir. And he refers to that as the good old days.

Im just depressed man.
hahaha:lol:....has it not degraded more now:sick:?

Yes. But we cannot click and see what the post was.
Do you get a notification when you receive a warning? It should be in the form of a DM/PM with a link to the post. That might be the best time to contest a warning.

In general I think warnings should be reserved for egregious violations of the rules. I myself have pulled back on a lot of warnings. At times I've personally been guilty of overreacting and losing my temper on certain posts and issuing warnings. I've also gone back later and reversed warnings in many cases where I realized I wasn't acting objectively, so it's absolutely not a perfect system and open to abuse.

For example, I don't issue warnings for 'trolling' anymore - just delete the post and thread ban the member if necessary.

Do you get a notification when you receive a warning? It should be in the form of a DM/PM with a link to the post. That might be the best time to contest a warning.

In general I think warnings should be reserved for egregious violations of the rules. I myself have pulled back on a lot of warnings. At times I've personally been guilty of overreacting and losing my temper on certain posts and issuing warnings. I've also gone back later and reversed warnings in many cases where I realized I wasn't acting objectively, so it's absolutely not a perfect system and open to abuse.

For example, I don't issue warnings for 'trolling' anymore - just delete the post and thread ban the member if necessary.

We can definitely do that. How?

Why have time durations for warnings? It's not like an offense gets less offensive after tge passage of time.

If you get x offense (say 5 not 3), regardless of how much time has accrued, you get a week off.

But, then you should consider the double and triple jeopardy thing, as those offenses already resulted in a punishment, so should not cause the offender to be punished once more for the same offense.

So on a ban, the cumulative offenses lapse, and when the member comes back he starts with a new slate.

I think guys like you who have been across most forums over the years knows that every forum has a resident vibe, and a particular demographic.

PDF has always been about free flowing debate.

It's never going to be a tech forum.

It's never going to be a strategy forum with actual vets.

It's a forum for bored white collar geeks who want to poke the other side.

Question is, what are you guys trying to do with it ...

We will create a memorial in your memory, once you have departed. Of course you can have dosra janam with some computer tricks.
You'd be surprised to know that I got perma ban just 2 months back. I didn't appeal & never logged back in for more than a month & one day accidently opened the forum link & I was surprised to see me being alive here. Had group messages from Jaibi & webmaster. These guys are Gold.

For me, I would request moderation to slowly but steadily start strict moderation. In the distant future, I would like to see zero trolls and only good quality posts can be present. It is the only way for high intellectual and constructive discussion. Even some posts which are not troll or is in grey area should eventually also begone slowly. and for this, a rigid implementation of rules are required. Need to bring back the good old days....tho I only joined in 2015, it was much betterat that time and I presume it would have been much better before that too. Now with new mods, I can start seeing change for the better....We should have even more mods and also more international mods too.

Completely, enthusiastically agree, and will start schooling myself: no more sarcasm, no more descending on posts that I dislike to bodily dismember the writer, constructive posts only. This is a wake-up call to all sincere members; we must BE the change that we wish to see.

In fact, the current system will compliment sweeping out low or useless posts in this regard.

Should I, or should I not, acknowledge the twinge of guilt?

Kindly refer to GHQ for for any such complaints/review etc.

Or maybe it might encourage members to improve their knowledge and discuss with a higher competency and informative posts. I would prefer reading posts from where I can learn something good than just read opinions and one liners with no substance. I myself also want to get better.
But, what you said is also valid. Maybe balancing between quality and traffic attraction will be a good compromise.

hahaha:lol:....has it not degraded more now:sick:?

Your earlier post was relevant, and there seems to be no reason to change its emotional content.

Alternately, we could increase the number of warning points required to trigger a ban.

I'll let the rest of the team weigh in. Just an FYI, they are working through a backlog of over 1200 reported posts on the forum to clean them out.

Our goal is that once the backlog is cleared, we'll be able to stay on top of the reported posts better. I think right now none of the mods wanted to go look in the reported posts section because of the backlog.

Yes I have noticed this now (all kind of alerts from long time ago about things being "resolved" and warnings issued etc to infractors). Would like to say: Good job guys (and gals!).

Completely, enthusiastically agree, and will start schooling myself: no more sarcasm, no more descending on posts that I dislike to bodily dismember the writer, constructive posts only. This is a wake-up call to all sincere members; we must BE the change that we wish to see.
Reading this makes me also wanna follow your suit. I have come a long way from being aggressive postings and trolling in the past. though, still lacking, I guess it's best to behave and converse like a gentleman.

Title holders should take the lead and also request our good members here to help better the environment. You have very well said and I quote, "we must BE the change that we wish to see".
#Let'sMakePDFGreatAgain

Should I, or should I not, acknowledge the twinge of guilt?
You already did

Your earlier post was relevant, and there seems to be no reason to change its emotional content.
It was a conciliatory reply to what was talked to me. The initial stand is still vindicated in my mind cause it is for the improvement of this esteemed community.

It is a good idea in principle, but you have the possibility of members ganging-up together and coordinating on discord or whatsapp, email etc to target particular posters they disagree with or dislike.
i am target of such campaigns
whenever i post about non Muslims i get a warning
and why i got a warning posting in favor of Israel?
Not difficult to accomplish. I'll get on it.
not true i am receiving warnings of permanent ban on just 6 warnings

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom