What's new

Can the forum warning points and banning process be changed?

It is a good idea in principle, but you have the possibility of members ganging-up together and coordinating on discord or whatsapp, email etc to target particular posters they disagree with or dislike.

And depending on whether there are enough moderators online, it could take a while for false reports to get resolved. In essence you would be allowing the 'herd' to moderate, at least temporarily.

That's a very valid point. There is certainly a risk of it being abused. I think perhaps allowing certain type of users to use it would be a way to reduce that risk. Perhaps Elite members?

Alternately, we could increase the number of warning points required to trigger a ban.

I'll let the rest of the team weigh in. Just an FYI, they are working through a backlog of over 1200 reported posts on the forum to clean them out.

Our goal is that once the backlog is cleared, we'll be able to stay on top of the reported posts better. I think right now none of the mods wanted to go look in the reported posts section because of the backlog.

I notice response times have become significantly quicker. Not that I liked all the responses ;-)

Doc,

Again, let me be clear, moderators do not 'ban' - we issue warnings. The system auto-bans based on the criteria we explained.

I and most of the moderators do not look at the warning history of a particular poster when we issue a warning point. We're too busy moderating posts etc. We just assign a warning based on whether or not we believe a particular post deserves a warning.

So, for example, when I 'banned' you a while back, I gave your post a warning not realizing that you already had existing warning points that would result in my warning causing a ban. That has happened with multiple posters - I've issued a warning and the system bans them and I find out they are banned when their name turns pink.

It is a good idea in principle, but you have the possibility of members ganging-up together and coordinating on discord or whatsapp, email etc to target particular posters they disagree with or dislike.

And depending on whether there are enough moderators online, it could take a while for false reports to get resolved. In essence you would be allowing the 'herd' to moderate, at least temporarily.

This is not the first time I have read this. Do you think this is happening in Discord? Seriously? I have no axe to grind about Discord, and I ask to check if this is a serious concern or a possibility that has occurred to some.

@Nilgiri

This is not the first time I have read this. Do you think this is happening in Discord? Seriously? I have no axe to grind about Discord, and I ask to check if this is a serious concern or a possibility that has occurred to some.
It's just a possibility I threw out.

Indians should be the most concerned about 'herd moderating' - who has the bigger active herd on this forum and who do you think they will target?

@AgNoStiC MuSliM @WebMaster just because few habitual bigots are whining because the current system doesn't suit them, should never be a criteria for revision. Just look the posters that are being advocated here for.
We're letting people voice their concerns.

Never a bad idea to listen to suggestions about change - doesn't mean we'll be convinced that change is a good idea in every instance.

It's just a possibility I threw out.

I am no longer a member of discord, but the only way to find out is for one of you to join - not a difficult proposition - and see for yourself. There has been ribaldry and laughter, but never any attempt at collusion.

It is not for an ex-member to say, but the person joining should also promise not to broadcast conversations there to the 'herd'. In fact, a probable condition will be to maintain total confidentiality.

Indians should be the most concerned about 'herd moderating' - who has the bigger active herd on this forum and who do you think they will target?

It is not clear what you meant; you forget that you are talking to an East Bengali peasant, who doesn't do 'subtle'. It seems from the context that you mean that the biggest herd is patriotic Pakistanis, and they will target Indians who do not agree with them.

Funny, but I haven't had that concern, and I suppose that is damning evidence that there is something not quite all right with me; like our village idiot stated in defining who is kosher and who is not, it sounds as if there is something anti-national about me.

I really don't care. Moderators have been unfair; so what?

For me, I would request moderation to slowly but steadily start strict moderation. In the distant future, I would like to see zero trolls and only good quality posts can be present. It is the only way for high intellectual and constructive discussion. Even some posts which are not troll or is in grey area should eventually also begone slowly. and for this, a rigid implementation of rules are required. Need to bring back the good old days....tho I only joined in 2015, it was much betterat that time and I presume it would have been much better before that too. Now with new mods, I can start seeing change for the better....We should have even more mods and also more international mods too.

In fact, the current system will compliment sweeping out low or useless posts in this regard.

dear mods elite members I don't know what's happening on PDF now a days ,I have been first abused by some elite member I. e sevenOseven than instead of banning him. got banned today I was banned just a hour ago and than my ban lifted in a hour and my thread was also closed with no reason I am a simple paindo person dont know much about the technicalities of this side and also using mobile fone to visit this site , I would like to share some screenshots for you to analyze whats this problem is and how these mysterious elite members get this much privilege to abuse some member without any reason specially those who are pro pti, one elite member namely sevenOseven insulted me on the basis of ethnicity but also humiliated Punjabies as whole later on his remarks were deleted but action taken against him, View attachment 629964 View attachment 629964 View attachment 629971 View attachment 629980
Kindly refer to GHQ for for any such complaints/review etc.

I am no longer a member of discord, but the only way to find out is for one of you to join - not a difficult proposition - and see for yourself. There has been ribaldry and laughter, but never any attempt at collusion.

It is not for an ex-member to say, but the person joining should also promise not to broadcast conversations there to the 'herd'. In fact, a probable condition will be to maintain total confidentiality.

It is not clear what you meant; you forget that you are talking to an East Bengali peasant, who doesn't do 'subtle'. It seems from the context that you mean that the biggest herd is patriotic Pakistanis, and they will target Indians who do not agree with them.

Funny, but I haven't had that concern, and I suppose that is damning evidence that there is something not quite all right with me; like our village idiot stated in defining who is kosher and who is not, it sounds as if there is something anti-national about me.

I really don't care. Moderators have been unfair; so what?

Bullseye.

For me, I would request moderation to slowly but steadily start strict moderation. In the distant future, I would like to see zero trolls and only good quality posts can be present. It is the only way for high intellectual and constructive discussion. Even some posts which are not troll or is in grey area should eventually also begone slowly. and for this, a rigid implementation of rules are required. Need to bring back the good old days....tho I only joined in 2015, it was much betterat that time and I presume it would have been much better before that too. Now with new mods, I can start seeing change for the better....We should have even more mods and also more international mods too.

In fact, the current system will compliment sweeping out low or useless posts in this regard.

Kindly refer to GHQ for for any such complaints/review etc.
This isn’t Carnegie Endowments for international peace or IISI. 95% of members (including Think Tanks/ analysts/mod) present on this forum don’t have any professional military or Geopolitical background. What you are calling highly intellectual discussion are just proofread paragraphs of English, most often with very little substance. Your moderation wishes will cause forum to lose traffic. It’s a public forum. Traffic is the life line.

This isn’t Carnegie Endowments for international peace or IISI. 95% of members (including Think Tanks/ analysts/mod) present on this forum don’t have any professional military or Geopolitical background. What you are calling highly intellectual discussion are just proofread paragraphs of English, most often with very little substance. Your moderation wishes will cause forum to lose traffic. It’s a public forum. Traffic is the life line.

He's joined in 2015. The nadir. And he refers to that as the good old days.

Im just depressed man.

I have put perhaps more than a couple of hundred members of this forum on permanent ignore list feature of this forum, vast majority of them are indian members but also many pakistani and members with other nationalities. For me the forum is just in fantastic shape if you use "ignore" option for members you deem to be useless, trolls or non-serious types. Many members who are considered "credible" and "interesting" have been on my ignore list for months now.

@padamchen

There’s no coordinated effort to ban anyone on the forum side. We don’t discuss issuing warnings, post deletions or bans as a team unless it is a permanent-ban. Moderators are trusted to act on their own (we don’t have time to review every decision as a team) and GHQ is an option for contesting warnings/bans etc.
I have tried GHQ ,it dsnt allow to open GHQ once you are banned.

Back
Top Bottom