What's new

Cambridge professor calls on Britishers to learn Urdu

Dawood Ibrahim

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
13 MINS AGO BY NEWS DESK
Cambridge-professor-calls-on-Britishers-to-learn-Urdu-300x200.jpg

A Cambridge University professor has urged Britons to learn Urdu and Polish to further national integration.

It is ‘very important to think of integration as a two-way street,’ the varsity’s French philology and linguistics professor Wendy Ayres-Bennett said. The academic, who has supported calls for immigrants to learn English, wants the British to strive for greater flexibility too.

‘Considering the issue from the point of view of language learning, we rightly expect immigrants to learn English but, as a nation, we often don’t see the need ourselves to learn another language, and consider it to be something difficult and only for the intellectual elite,’ she said.

‘I would like to see more opportunities for British people to learn some of the community languages of the UK, such as Polish, Punjabi and Urdu, particularly in areas where there are high numbers of those speakers, so that there is some mutual effort in understanding the others’ language and culture,” the academic said.

Supporting recommendations of two documents emphasising the need for greater English language classes to promote integration, the professor said, ‘Without English, immigrants are likely to develop exclusive social networks and alternative labour markets. For most people, language is at the very heart of their identity.’

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2017/01/18/cambridge-professor-calls-on-britishers-to-learn-urdu/

advice from outside your own circles is not always bad.
i think the Pakistanis can trust the people in Great Britain not to ridicule / criticize Pakistani culture / leaderships too much. :nhl_checking::feminist::moil::astagh::offpost:

The man's on drugs!

We are the foreigners in their country; the onus is on us to learn English.

I think this language thing is so over hyped, I've hardly ever met a Pakistani who has been here a while who doesn't speak English.

The man's on drugs!

We are the foreigners in their country; the onus is on us to learn English.

I think this language thing is so over hyped, I've hardly ever met a Pakistani who has been here a while who doesn't speak English.

He is simply talking in view of greater geo-politics..Britain is out of EU and reviving its old economic bloc...British learning Hindi or Urdu is not a new phenomena...just a generation ago..many British spoke Urdu..during my childhood I was able to spot many old gora in Saudi speaking fluent Urdu because they did service in British India...

He is simply talking in view of greater geo-politics..Britain is out of EU and reviving its old economic bloc...British learning Hindi or Urdu is not a new phenomena...just a generation ago..many British spoke Urdu..during my childhood I was able to spot many old gora in Saudi speaking fluent Urdu because they did service in British India...

No he is just talking about the need for integration in the U.K as there is still a language barrier in terms of some older Pakistanis and woman who are brought over who feel isolated due to not having the necessary language skills to be able to communicate effectively. He even says so, says the word integration more than once.

Also his line of reasoning is misdirected, Pakistanis in the U.K need to learn English, not the other way around.

No he is just talking about the need for integration in the U.K as there is still a language barrier in terms of some older Pakistanis and woman who are brought over who feel isolated due to not having the necessary language skills to be able to communicate effectively. He even says so, says the word integration more than once.

Also his line of reasoning is misdirected, Pakistanis in the U.K need to learn English, not the other way around.
True talk, but you can't blame him that much bro. Our leaders in the West have taken political correctness to another level. In fact sa native Brit who is too proud to be British can often be seen by these liberals and leftists as racists, I have seen that quite a number of times. However, if that Brit has as a foreign background (say British Pakistani, British Indian or British African etc) then they don't regard him as being a racist proud Brit. Lol it's a weird phenomenon. :cheesy:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.da...d-Really-British-selling-UK-themed-goods.html

If Britain wants to be part of CPEC they should make Urdu 2nd official language of UK. :nana:

True talk, but you can't blame him that much bro. Our leaders in the West have taken political correctness to another level. In fact sa native Brit who is too proud to be British can often be seen by these liberals and leftists as racists, I have seen that quite a number of times. However, if that Brit has as a foreign background (say British Pakistani, British Indian or British African etc) then they don't regard him as being a racist proud Brit. Lol it's a weird phenomenon. :cheesy:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.da...d-Really-British-selling-UK-themed-goods.html

Should not Pakistanis (and Brits) learn French and German, so they can speak to the major trade partners
in Europe after Brexit, and English is abolished as a preferred language (maybe not, LOL)

:o::hitwall:

Should not Pakistanis (and Brits) learn French and German, so they can speak to the major trade partners
in Europe after Brexit, and English is abolished as a preferred language (maybe not, LOL)
how many colonies did swedan have? and how many did we have? english is an international language. heck even the swede is talking (typing) english :coffee::big_boss:8-)

:o::hitwall:

how many colonies did swedan have? and how many did we have? english is an international language. heck even the swede is talking (typing) english :coffee::big_boss:8-)

Nous avons l'isle de S:t Bartholomy. Acheté chez les Grenouilles.

Mais aprés le Brexit, en faut parlêr Francais, nes't ce pas?

Lol Are you surprised? It's a similar case all over the U.K . Funny thing is that that shop owner said over 85-90 % of those who complained his shop is racists because he was selling only British goods and was a very productive brit were native white Brits themselves (the liberals and leftists), foreigners or even Brits with a foreign background saw nothing wrong in that lobviously. These liberals and leftists are the biggest threat to Britain and western(not eastern) Europe in general.
I heard that in Sweden it's even worse than in Britain @A.P. Richelieu .:p:

Lol Are you surprised? It's a similar case all over the U.K . Funny thing is that that shop owner said over 85-90 % of those who complained his shop is racists because he was selling only British goods and was a very productive brit were native white Brits themselves (the liberals and leftists), foreigners or even Brits with a foreign background saw nothing wrong in that lobviously. These liberals and leftists are the biggest threat to Britain and western(not eastern) Europe in general.
I heard that in Sweden it's even worse than in Britain @A.P. Richelieu .:p:

Certainly Sweden has its fair share of misguided political correctness, but I would not dare to compare.
It is more or less a leftist thing here though, and they have very little political power.

The Liberal Party is by some considered to be the most Right wing party.
SD, our local racists, does not really fit the left-right scale.

That was for British eyes only, so You understand.
For the French, I of course apology in advance.
We have the isle of S: T Bartholomy. Bought in Frogs.

But after is Brexit, necessary some to speak French, nes' T this step?

p.s. i did not use google translate.

Back
Top Bottom