What's new

Britain could not reclaim the Falklands if Argentina invades, warns General

Dont forget the royal navy nuke subs. It is one of the main reason argentina could not escalate the conflict beyond a point.

i am traveling - isn't that obvious?

Not really and why would u put a flag of a country you do not like?

---------- Post added at 04:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 AM ----------

Dont forget the royal navy nuke subs. It is one of the main reason argentina could not escalate the conflict beyond a point.

buddy just the EF's stationed there will take care of the old rusty planes the argies have got

Not really and why would u put a flag of a country you do not like?

the flag identifies my current location - not where my loyalty lies. you are intelligent enough to tell the difference, or are you not?

I totally agree with SuperKaif's post #28. Britain should initiate the process of gradually handing back the island to Argentina within a fixed number of years. These claims of Argentina over ownership of the Falklands will not go away. Right or wrong, the Falklands are an emotive issue with the Argentines. Anyone who watched the Argentina vs England quarter finals in the 1986 FIFA World Cup knows that the Argentinian euphoria over Marradona's two goals in that match had a lot to do with the Falkland War of 1982. For Britain to maintain and militarily defend the islands which are more than 13,000 KMs away maybe barely possible today but will soon be out of question. Will such an expensive war be supported by the common citizens of Britain? Instead of talking of war, GB would do well to be gracious and enter into talks with Argentina to eventually hand over the islands within a few decades. That will not only save face but also earn the friendship of one of the rising Latin American economies.

Currently however, GB does not seem to be thinking of a workable alternative to war.

HMS-Dauntless-007.jpg

HMS Dauntless, which is being sent to the Falkland Islands.

Prince-William-Falklands-007.jpg

Argentina criticises Prince William's tour of duty of Falkland Islands

Anyone know the reasons why NATO did not assist UK last time around?

As far as im aware britian did not ask for help as it was regarded as a british affair.

US how ever did supply the anglos with missiles and France supplied air craft to train against.

I totally agree with SuperKaif's post #28. Britain should initiate the process of gradually handing back the island to Argentina within a fixed number of years. These claims of Argentina over ownership of the Falklands will not go away. Right or wrong, the Falklands are an emotive issue with the Argentines. Anyone who watched the Argentina vs England quarter finals in the 1986 FIFA World Cup knows that the Argentinian euphoria over Marradona's two goals in that match had a lot to do with the Falkland War of 1982. For Britain to maintain and militarily defend the islands which are more than 13,000 KMs away maybe barely possible today but will soon be out of question. Will such an expensive war be supported by the common citizens of Britain? Instead of talking of war, GB would do well to be gracious and enter into talks with Argentina to eventually hand over the islands within a few decades. That will not only save face but also earn the friendship of one of the rising Latin American economies.

Currently however, GB does not seem to be thinking of a workable alternative to war.

HMS-Dauntless-007.jpg

HMS Dauntless, which is being sent to the Falkland Islands.

Prince-William-Falklands-007.jpg

Argentina criticises Prince William's tour of duty of Falkland Islands

I disagree why should britian hand over land it spilt blood over and personally i think Argentinas claims are nothing and people who support argentinas claims are anti-british.

Personally i dont think Argentina would be stupid enough to try and invade the falklands wasnt last time it attacked it was ruled by the military?

I disagree why should britian hand over land it spilt blood over and personally i think Argentinas claims are nothing and people who support argentinas claims are anti-british.

Personally i dont think Argentina would be stupid enough to try and invade the falklands wasnt last time it attacked it was ruled by the military?

So we agree to disagree, right? Only don't classify me as anti British because I am not necessarily one. I was just looking for a long term peaceful solution. Britain has spilt blood over almost half the world, not always its own, but that is history.

Please note the timeline:

In 1764, French navigator and military commander Louis Antoine de Bougainville founded the first settlement on Berkeley Sound, in present-day Port Louis, East Falkland.[14] In 1765, British captain John Byron explored and claimed Saunders Island on West Falkland, where he named the harbour Port Egmont and a settlement was constructed in 1766.[15] Unaware of the French presence, Byron claimed the island group for King George III. Spain acquired the French colony in 1767 and placed it under a governor subordinate to the Buenos Aires colonial administration. In 1770, Spain attacked Port Egmont and expelled the British presence, bringing the two countries to the brink of war. War was avoided by a peace treaty and the British return to Port Egmont.[16]

In the late 1700's, the islands had competing claims made by France, Spain, and GB. Britain ultimately prevailed. Argentina as a nation did not exist.

The United Kingdom officially recognized Argentine independence in 1825, with the signing of a Treaty of Friendship, Commerce, and Navigation on February 2; the British chargé d'affaires in Buenos Aires, Woodbine Parish, signed on behalf of his country. Spanish recognition of Argentine independence would take more decades to take place.

Argentina's independence from Spain was recognized in 1825. So how can Argentina claim land that was British 50 years before Argentina even existed? Do they think the Spanish claim somehow was inherited by them? The Spanish claim to the islands was already lost.

I've already mentioned several examples of islands with geographic proximity to larger nations, owned by distant nations. "Because they are near by" does not = ownership.

As far as im aware britian did not ask for help as it was regarded as a british affair.

US how ever did supply the anglos with missiles and France supplied air craft to train against.

Perhaps its better to accept we disagree. Historically they took over these islands and evicted the real owners ( i have already shown this). Argentina want something that was theirs to start off with. This wont go away and it will be like a constant toothache and keep coming back. My suggestion was an attempt to come to some mutual understanding and an agreement drawn up without potential bloodshed and the worry of war etc over both heads.
The UK are not the global power they once were - they may get a bloody nose - internationally if one or two countries black ball them if any action they take.

But SK, any Argentine settlers of that era would be occupying British soil, probably illegally. Is that not true?

this thread is almost dead, but ...
1520: Discovery of the Islas Malvinas by Portuguese Esteban Gomez
1600: The Dutch Sevald Malvinas ground floor of Weert
1690: John Stronge names "Falkland Channel" the Strait of San Carlos.
1790: Armed conflict between Spain and France for the islands.
1764: Taking Possession of the island on behalf of the king of France by Count Louis Antoine Bougainville.
1766: France recognizes Spain as sovereignty over the Malvinas. 115 French settlers remain on the islands.
In the same year, Commodore John Byron, founded Port Egmont in the north of the Malvinas. The agreements called Nootka Convention, the British LEAVE ISLAS MALVINAS.
1811: Spain evacuates the Falkland Islands. Are deserted until 1820.
1820: The government of Buenos Aires sent a frigate to take ownership and assert their rights in the Malvinas, as a succession of Spain. From 1823 granted to Luis Maria Vernet exploitation of island resources. The June 10, 1829 created the Political and Military Command of the Malvinas Island based in Soledad and jurisdiction in the islands adjacent to Cape Horn. On August 30, 1829 Puerto Luis Vernet founded.
1833: Invasion came by the British frigate HMS Clio, under Captain John James Onslow, who informed the Argentine boss would reassert British sovereignty and retake possession of the islands for the King of England.

Malvinas is a national cause, and never cease to claim them. We are aware that the use of arms, not take us to anything, so we claim through diplomatic channels.

Best Regard

I agree why should the British hand over the Falkland when its clearly British Territory. If the Argentinian wants the Island back it should give something in exchange for the return of the Islands.

Wait a minute ....
The British stole our malvinas ... and we must reward them?

mmm...I don't think so.

we can negotiate something, but sovereignty is not negotiable.

Argentians must take thier rightful Falkands from foreign occupation.

The Iraqi army could take on Argentinas and come out with zero losses.

Back
Top Bottom