What's new

Breaking news : Kunduz city retaken

Afghan forces: Central Kunduz retaken from Taliban

Afghan government forces are back in control in parts of the city of Kunduz, three days after it was captured by the Taliban, an Afghan special forces commander on the ground told Al Jazeera.

Operations were ongoing on Thursday morning to take control of the entire city, the commander said.

He said the Taliban left the centre of the city, now under government control, on Tuesday night following a US air strike that decimated their ranks.

Residents and security sources said the army was facing stiff resistance in residential areas still held by the Taliban.

The Afghan interior ministry claimed control of the city in a statement.

"It is retaken and being cleared from terrorists, with heavy casualties to the enemy," Interior Ministry Spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said on Twitter.

Afghan forces: Central Kunduz retaken from Taliban - Al Jazeera English

CQMwWOLUcAABNGq.jpg
@Samandri But for how long will this last, the Talibs have proved to be as durable as one can be, the same surely cannot be said of this Tajik ANA. kudos

Good job to Afghan forces. The fact that Taliban couldn't hold on much just after the operation began, shows how much domestic support and strategic strength they actually have. Their only power is hiding like rats in places and launching hit and run attacks.

Well Afghan forces are achieving successful results since past few weeks

Congratulation ANA and ANSF .

On topic :Some people in here is trying to give credit to NATO.Remember same NATO ,US and Russia is still bombing ISIS .But they couldnt even show a nice feast like this until now .Why??because Iraqi forces is not able to do that .
In here Afghan forces just successfully did that .This is a victory of ANA and ANSF .

I think ANA need to arm their forces with good aircrafts and attack helis . Then you dont need foreign support to smoke these Talis.

A couple of things some of the people forget here, the ANSF is a young institution that is fighting both local traitors and a syndicate of international terror groups Pakistanis, Chechens, Arabs, Uzbeks and they are doing all this when bulk of the international forces are gone. They are doing this with a limited airpower. It just stupied to be a cheerleader for those opposing or ridiculing the ANSF because if Afghanistan falls these groups will use Afghan soil to venture into Pakistan, Iran, China and the Stans.

God be my witness if any of the neighbors were in the same situation they would have lost the war already.

and then Afghans will say "Pakistan loves Taliban and underestimate the power of our forces" but this is how strong the Afghan state is

I hate to get into this troll argument but sometimes I must, Pakistan with nuclear arsenal, with a far experienced and strong military force is still fighting in Fata, most of Fata was out Pakistani control for years, Swat was out of your control for a while and Peshawar was threatened. How long is Zarb-E-Azab going ? The point I am trying to make is that we dont need to keep scores here, if Afghanistan is taken over by the Talis it will affect you directly and vice-versa

I hate to get into this troll argument but sometimes I must, Pakistan with nuclear arsenal, with a far experienced and strong military force is still fighting in Fata, most of Fata was out Pakistani control for years, Swat was out of your control for a while and Peshawar was threatened. How long is Zarb-E-Azab going ? The point I am trying to make is that we dont need to keep scores here, if Afghanistan is taken over by the Talis it will affect you directly and vice-versa

And their campaign is totally supported by PAF throught the pounding of FATA day and night with their F16s.
What would be the result if the didnt have that airsupport?That is the relevant question to the people that mocks ANSF .
Now only thing ANA need is a good air arm .That will be the end of Taliban.

now this is what is the concern of everyone in Pakistan, we wish to see Afghan forces strong enough to beat Taliban

Taliban attack us too, but all they can manage recently is attack people praying in mosques or children. They have not taken over Districts (that too in matter of hours/days) , Swat is a thing of a past and even that has a history ( Swat being an independent state ) FATA again Pak Army was never needed and never entered area before this problem

Zarb-e-Azab is going on but where ?? Pak Army is right at Afghan border and the taliban they are fighting are those who come from the other side

now this is what is the concern of everyone in Pakistan, we wish to see Afghan forces strong enough to beat Taliban

Taliban attack us too, but all they can manage recently is attack people praying in mosques or children. They have not taken over Districts (that too in matter of hours/days) , Swat is a thing of a past and even that has a history ( Swat being an independent state ) FATA again Pak Army was never needed and never entered area before this problem

Zarb-e-Azab is going on but where ?? Pak Army is right at Afghan border and the taliban they are fighting are those who come from the other side

Then we are almost on the same page, we can’t expect miracles from a young military force but I dare say it has done a phenomenal job when just 1 year ago most of the commentators were saying that Afghanistan will collapse in a matter of weeks.

I will be very worried if I were a Tali strategist because the Afghan people support the ANSF and that’s one thing that the Talis will never have. You can have all the shiny weapons but you need two things as a fighting force, one is the courage to fight and the other is the support of your country men, that’s why the NUG still stands unlike in Iraq or Syria where one or the other is missing and look what is their situation even though they have far superior fighting machines.

One persons terrorist is other persons freedom fighter.

US considers Kurd Milatia as freedom fighter whereas Asad, Russia and Iran consider them as terrorists. There were reports that they were welcomed by locals in the city. It doesn't matter what Pakistan thinks as a random group can never hold a city for days without the support of local populous.

World is full of hypocrites as you people also love to be in bed with Baloch terrorists as well so get over your phobia.
Yeah Yeah.. The standard Pakistani response of Good Terrorist / Bad terrorist distinction. This is a very slippery slope mate. That way some people down the line will even call the massacre of your school kids or airforce families also the act of freedom fighters..You can shut those people up on this forum, but once you start justifying one act of terror against another country, you should be ready for similar justification when your sons, daughters, moms, dads and uncles get blown up in mindless acts of terrorism.

I think what was very surprising is that the Taliban strength according to most sources numbered around 500 while there were approximately 5,000 ANSF forces defending Kunduz -- that's a ration of 1 to 10 in favor of the defender ...

Now I think none of the figures, happenings in my limited knowledge add up. As one would expect the ANSF to be a product of Afghanistan -- so too would one expect that of the Taliban. So what gives?
A repeat of what happened in Iraq, but on a smaller (less deadly) scale. A superior abandoning it's position against a clearly inferior force, due to a lack of discipline. Supposedly, this attack was even predicted, yet the size caught them off by surprise.

If we're to believe Afghanistan's official story, then nothing makes sense.

I'm glad the ANA have beaten them mostly back, but it is such a shame that they had to rely heavily on foreign forces for it to work.

@Samandri But for how long will this last, the Talibs have proved to be as durable as one can be, the same surely cannot be said of this Tajik ANA. kudos
During my short trip to Afghanistan, i noticed that a Sipahi of ANA was referring to his superior as "Haji sahib" instead of Sir. Four or five soldiers were talking to their officer at once, out of turn and without permission. ANA is no army, its a lashkar. I do not doubt their bravery, they seem to have discipline issues and lack the standards being newbie army .

Lets see how the things in Kunduz proceed. As already pointed out by members here, Taliban have made their point, that they have the ability to capture a city , catch international headlines and embarrass the army.

Last edited:
During my short trip to Afghanistan, i noticed that a Sipahi of ANA was referring to his superior as "Haji sahib" instead of Sir. Four or five soldiers were talking to their officer at once, out of turn and without permission. ANA is no army, its a lashkar. I do not doubt their bravery, they seem to have discipline issues and lack the standards being newbie army .

Lets see how the things in Kunduz proceed. As already pointed out by members here, Taliban have made their point, that they have the ability to capture a city , catch international headlines and embarrass the army.
@Samandri As you pointed out sir, discipline is an absolute must for the success of any military operation, as soon as the Talibs launch a major attack these ANA goons will simply melt away as their Iraqi counterparts did in Mosul. The US can keep on pumping resources into the ANA but I fear it will have little if any impact btw as you will know Kunduz is a majority Pashtun city, the Tajik ANA will be considered as an hostile force and the Pashtuns have long memories, I highly doubt they have forgiven the Panjsheris for their atrocities towards them after the collapse of the Taliban regime.kudos

A repeat of what happened in Iraq, but on a smaller (less deadly) scale. A superior abandoning it's position against a clearly inferior force, due to a lack of discipline. Supposedly, this attack was even predicted, yet the size caught them off by surprise.

If we're to believe Afghanistan's official story, then nothing makes sense.

I'm glad the ANA have beaten them mostly back, but it is such a shame that they had to rely heavily on foreign forces for it to work.

What I read somewhere today -- like in the NYT or something like that was that there were already 700 "vaunted" (slight sarcasm there) Afghan commandos stationed at Kunduz before the Taliban attacked.

It's all very strange, very strange.

Back
Top Bottom