What's new

Breaking news ! ! BD has gotten 19,467sq km maritime area from India :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations Bangladesh! :tup:

It does seem @BDforever was right all along. BD has won both its maritime tribunals from India and Myanmar.

WRONG. Bangladesh what it appears retained mostly what we claimed all along with India. But Bangladesh surely lost with Myanmar.

Now big question is will india obey judgement that is being delivered or use chest thumping? And another question is what level of india will impose through current puppet regime to loot natural resources from Bangladesh territory? Already exploration block(s) are given to ONGC without bidding process.

I am not sure about New Moore/Talpotti Island. Seems like that comes in our way too. Any update?

India has got it. :lol:

upload_2014-7-8_15-47-4.png

Last edited:
As I was mentioning earlier fate of South Talpatti island need to be confirmed, Daily Nayadiganta already published Bangladesh lost control of south Talpatti island or the area of it.

সমুদ্রসীমার রায় : তালপট্টি ভারতের
কূটনৈতিক প্রতিবেদক
৮ জুলাই ২০১৪, মঙ্গলবার, ৪:০৮

52582_tal%20potti%20map.jpg

ভারতের সাথে সমুদ্রসীমা নিয়ে নেদারল্যান্ডসের স্থায়ী সালিসি আদালতের রায়ে বাংলাদেশ ১৯ হাজার ৪৬৭ বর্গ কিলোমিটার সমুদ্রাঞ্চল পেয়েছে। ভারতের সাথে বিরোধপূর্ণ সমুদ্রাঞ্চল ছিল ২৫ হাজার ৬০২ কিলোমিটার। ভারত ও মিয়ানমারের সাথে সমুদ্রসীমা নিয়ে আন্তর্জাতিক আদালতগুলোর দেয়া রায়ে বঙ্গোসাগরের এক লাখ ১৮ হাজার ৮১৩ বর্গ কিলোমিটার এলাকার ওপর বাংলাদেশের অধিকার প্রতিষ্ঠিত হয়েছে।
http://www.dailynayadiganta.com/details.php?nayadiganta=NTI1ODI=&s=MjM=

Here is the final award of judgement. Full analysis will take time but here are key points:

1) As oppose to Bangladesh claim of 180 degree azimuth line within and beyond 200 NM EEZ, tribunal awarded Bangladesh with azimuth of 177° 30´ 00˝. Almost same as Bangladesh submitted.
2) It seems Bangladesh retained control of south Talpatti island but needs confirmation.

From Tribunal Judgement (Observation 478)
the Tribunal decides that, from point Prov-3, the adjusted line delimiting the exclusive economic zone and the continental shelf between Bangladesh and India within and beyond 200 nm is a geodetic line with an initialazimuth of 177° 30´ 00˝ until this line meets with the maritime boundary established by the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea to delimit the exclusive economic zone and the continental shelf between Bangladesh and Myanmar within and beyond 200 nm.

upload_2014-7-8_2-26-33-png.38018

Tribunal judgement page:
Bay of Bengal Maritime Boundary Arbitration between Bangladesh and India

As I was mentioning earlier fate of South Talpatti island need to be confirmed, Daily Nayadiganta already published Bangladesh lost control of south Talpatti island or the area of it.

কূটনৈতিক প্রতিবেদক

ভারতের সাথে সমুদ্রসীমা নিয়ে নেদারল্যান্ডসের স্থায়ী সালিসি আদালতের রায়ে বাংলাদেশ ১৯ হাজার ৪৬৭ বর্গ কিলোমিটার সমুদ্রাঞ্চল পেয়েছে। ভারতের সাথে বিরোধপূর্ণ সমুদ্রাঞ্চল ছিল ২৫ হাজার ৬০২ কিলোমিটার। ভারত ও মিয়ানমারের সাথে সমুদ্রসীমা নিয়ে আন্তর্জাতিক আদালতগুলোর দেয়া রায়ে বঙ্গোসাগরের এক লাখ ১৮ হাজার ৮১৩ বর্গ কিলোমিটার এলাকার ওপর বাংলাদেশের অধিকার প্রতিষ্ঠিত হয়েছে।
Naya Diganta :: সমুদ্রসীমার রায় : তালপট্টি ভারতের

In settlement something need to give and take, bro.

কূটনৈতিক প্রতিবেদক

there is a interesting part of 50 kilometers where India has right on fishes and bd has right on under water resources LOL

Please post link.
If it's true it shows the honest commitment from India to resolve differences with our neighbors.
I'll hold my Kudos to BD and Indian friends till we get news link!

PS: also waiting for a big drama from Indian Media and opposition MPs!
If I read the news

MARITIME DISPUTE WITH INDIA | Bangladesh gets 19,467sq km area in Bay

It indicates it had nothing to do with India, it is the judgement of the court based in the Hague to resolve the dispute between two parties.

কূটনৈতিক প্রতিবেদক

ভারতীয় উপমহাদেশ ভাগ করার সময় রেডকিফের আঁকা ম্যাপ অনুযায়ী বঙ্গোপসাগরের তালপট্টির অংশটি ছিল ভারতের। অন্য কোনো ম্যাপ দিয়েই একসময়ের দ্বীপটির ওপর অধিকার প্রতিষ্ঠা করতে পারেনি বাংলাদেশ।

Accroding to Recliff Talpotti was always India's.
Why did we always make a fuss about it. Its good that its gone forever

Now if only someone would superimpose the gas and oil blocks on the new maritime boundary line :whistle:

Accroding to Recliff Talpotti was always India's.
Why did we always make a fuss about it. Its good that its gone forever

Because Bangladeshis are world renowned cry babies.

Here is how indian subservient Awami League regime gave up South Talpatti Island by not even admitting its existence, whereas india claimed South Talpatti island as one of its base point.

197. Bangladesh’s objection to base points I-1 and I-2 is particularly acute. First, Bangladesh challenges the existence of South Talpatty/New Moore Island on which the points are located. In Bangladesh’s view, the island disappeared permanently below the surface in the late 1980s or early 1990s.104 Bangladesh submits that South Talpatty/New Moore Island is absent on any satellite images after 1989,105 and recalls that nothing more than breakers was seen during the site visit, despite multiple trips to the area.106

198. According to Bangladesh, even if South Talpatty/New Moore Island does exist as a low-tide elevation, it is “on the Bangladesh side of any conceivable boundary line” and inappropriate for a base point.107 In this respect Bangladesh notes that in Qatar v. Bahrain, the International Court of Justice held that low-tide elevations situated in the zone of overlapping claims must be disregarded for the purpose of drawing the equidistance line.108 In Bangladesh/Myanmar, the
103 India’s Rejoinder, paragraphs 4A.2- 4A.10.

Parties respected this practice and no low-tide elevations for base points were proposed in the delimitation of the territorial sea. 109

199. Sovereignty over South Talpatty/New Moore Island, Bangladesh argues, can only be determined by reference to the delimitation line as “a coastal State has sovereignty over low- tide elevations which are situated within its territorial sea” (Maritime Delimitation and Territorial Questions between Qatar and Bahrain, Merits, Judgment, I.C.J. Reports 2001, p. 40 at p. 101, paragraph 204). Bangladesh notes the decision in the Nicaragua v. Colombia case that low-tide elevations may not be appropriated, (Nicaragua v. Colombia, Judgment of 19 November 2012, paragraph 26) as well as decisions in the Malaysia/Singapore and Nicaragua v. Honduras cases in which the Court declined to determine sovereignty over the low-tide elevations in dispute (Case Concerning Sovereignty Over Pedra Branca/Pulau Batu Puteh, Middle Rocks and South Ledge (Malaysia/Singapore), Judgment, I.C.J. Reports 2008, paras. 291-299; Territorial and Maritime Dispute between Nicaragua and Honduras in the Caribbean Sea (Nicaragua v. Honduras), Judgment, I.C.J. Reports 2007, paragraphs 144-145).
200. In addition, Bangladesh submits that South Talpatty/New Moore is “far too insignificant, and its stability far too suspect, to be accorded such importance in this delimitation”.110 Citing the Black Sea and Gulf of Maine decisions, Bangladesh argues that “the International Court of Justice has made it clear on several occasions that what it refers to as ‘minor geographical features’ should not be used as the basis for delimiting a maritime boundary” (Maritime Delimitation in the Black Sea (Romania/Ukraine) I.C.J Reports 2009, p. 61, paragraph 137; Delimitation of the Maritime Boundary in the Gulf of Maine Area (Canada/USA), I.C.J. Reports 1984, p. 329, paragraphs 201, 210). In the Black Sea case in particular, Bangladesh further observes, the International Court of Justice declined to place a base point on Serpent’s Island, a much larger and more prominent feature than South Talpatty/New Moore.111 Similar small islands were disregarded in Libya/Malta and Nicaragua v. Colombia.

201. Bangladesh raises similar objections to India’s proposed base points I-3, B-3, and B-4, disputing the existence of each alleged low-tide elevation. Noting that none were observable during the site visit, Bangladesh submits that “t is plainly visible that all of these base points are out at sea”.112

Here is how indian subservient Awami League regime gave up South Talpatti Island by not even admitting its existence, whereas india claimed South Talpatti island as one of its base point.

197. Bangladesh’s objection to base points I-1 and I-2 is particularly acute. First, Bangladesh challenges the existence of South Talpatty/New Moore Island on which the points are located. In Bangladesh’s view, the island disappeared permanently below the surface in the late 1980s or early 1990s.104 Bangladesh submits that South Talpatty/New Moore Island is absent on any satellite images after 1989,105 and recalls that nothing more than breakers was seen during the site visit, despite multiple trips to the area.106

198. According to Bangladesh, even if South Talpatty/New Moore Island does exist as a low-tide elevation, it is “on the Bangladesh side of any conceivable boundary line” and inappropriate for a base point.107 In this respect Bangladesh notes that in Qatar v. Bahrain, the International Court of Justice held that low-tide elevations situated in the zone of overlapping claims must be disregarded for the purpose of drawing the equidistance line.108 In Bangladesh/Myanmar, the
103 India’s Rejoinder, paragraphs 4A.2- 4A.10.

Parties respected this practice and no low-tide elevations for base points were proposed in the delimitation of the territorial sea. 109

199. Sovereignty over South Talpatty/New Moore Island, Bangladesh argues, can only be determined by reference to the delimitation line as “a coastal State has sovereignty over low- tide elevations which are situated within its territorial sea” (Maritime Delimitation and Territorial Questions between Qatar and Bahrain, Merits, Judgment, I.C.J. Reports 2001, p. 40 at p. 101, paragraph 204). Bangladesh notes the decision in the Nicaragua v. Colombia case that low-tide elevations may not be appropriated, (Nicaragua v. Colombia, Judgment of 19 November 2012, paragraph 26) as well as decisions in the Malaysia/Singapore and Nicaragua v. Honduras cases in which the Court declined to determine sovereignty over the low-tide elevations in dispute (Case Concerning Sovereignty Over Pedra Branca/Pulau Batu Puteh, Middle Rocks and South Ledge (Malaysia/Singapore), Judgment, I.C.J. Reports 2008, paras. 291-299; Territorial and Maritime Dispute between Nicaragua and Honduras in the Caribbean Sea (Nicaragua v. Honduras), Judgment, I.C.J. Reports 2007, paragraphs 144-145).
200. In addition, Bangladesh submits that South Talpatty/New Moore is “far too insignificant, and its stability far too suspect, to be accorded such importance in this delimitation”.110 Citing the Black Sea and Gulf of Maine decisions, Bangladesh argues that “the International Court of Justice has made it clear on several occasions that what it refers to as ‘minor geographical features’ should not be used as the basis for delimiting a maritime boundary” (Maritime Delimitation in the Black Sea (Romania/Ukraine) I.C.J Reports 2009, p. 61, paragraph 137; Delimitation of the Maritime Boundary in the Gulf of Maine Area (Canada/USA), I.C.J. Reports 1984, p. 329, paragraphs 201, 210). In the Black Sea case in particular, Bangladesh further observes, the International Court of Justice declined to place a base point on Serpent’s Island, a much larger and more prominent feature than South Talpatty/New Moore.111 Similar small islands were disregarded in Libya/Malta and Nicaragua v. Colombia.

201. Bangladesh raises similar objections to India’s proposed base points I-3, B-3, and B-4, disputing the existence of each alleged low-tide elevation. Noting that none were observable during the site visit, Bangladesh submits that “t is plainly visible that all of these base points are out at sea”.112

Bangladesh made a smart choice. If the existence of Talpotti was acknowledged then India would had taken it a basepoint and as theirs and we would had lost a significant amount of sea area in downstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom